Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10242] Norwegian terms

Gjest Mary Ellen DePrey
 Del

Gjest Mary Ellen DePrey

I am having trouble finding out what certain terms mean. I have tried to use the norwegian to english dictionary on line to no avail. I need to understand some occupation names: Gaardbruger Selveier, Fisker, Husleier og Garveriarbeider, Husmanduden Jord, Tommermand. I think the first has to do with farming? Also, under Family Status what does Deres Datter or Kone or Hans Kone mean. Is there any way I can access marriage records. My great grandparents were married between 1875 and 1880. Her name was Nikoline Nielsdatter and his Ole Johannssen. I believe they were from Flekkefjords. I believe they sailed for America March of 1880. I am trying to establish their whereabouts in the 1865 census, but need a parent's name to do so. No one here remembers. Thanks for any help you can give.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest mary deprey

Thank you for your help. I know German and I am finding a few words similar in Norwegian, but your help is really appreciated. I hope someday I can return again to Norway. I was there in 1982 and the day we were in Flekkefjord all was closed for 3 days because of holidays. The next time I will make sure things are open so I can do some research. Meanwhile, thank all of you for taking your time to help me. Mary Ellen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Oldervoll

Kristian is not QUITE right. A 'husmann uten jord' is not a land leaser. A land leaser, as far as I know, is a farmer leasing the land. A 'husmann' is not a farmer. He is lending a small plot of land from a farmer, in most cases with land to grow some poate and feed a cow or two. If he is a 'husmann uten jord' (a crofter with land) he does not even have any land. He only have a plot for a house. A 'husmann' may be an agricultural working, but can have any occupation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård

Jan has a more devolopted explanation, but the fact is that he leased the plot where he had his household (may be a small garden and a cow for milk and meat), but he leased that plot and paid for it either by work at the farm or by payment of any sort.By the way. yesterday I visited a farm in the 1660 census that shows this. Hamsvig or Hombsuig in Lister og Mandals Amt. It's the same farm allthough the one is in Halse and the other in Søgne (wrong). The farm is a half farm (2 huder) but is steep and has small cultivated areas. It's obvious that it has it's value from fisheries, and that the people at that farm, 'oppsiddere' and 'husmenn', allthough not mentioned ' without land' took their living from the nearby harbour Kleven, may be it was allready a shipyard at Gismerøya. Anyway it was Lobsters, Oal and Salmon. That explains a crowded farm without natural features landside.Some Husmenn could have a rather high social ranking, of many reasons. In fact you need to know more of every individuall to rank them social.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.