Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10367] Looking for a connection between Thorstensen and Finholt in Nes, Akershus

Gjest Pearl Danroth
 Del

Gjest Pearl Danroth

I am trying to find a connection with the Thorstensen/Torstensen family to the name Finholt. That is, if there is any connection? I thought maybe Hans Thorstensen once lived on a farm by that name before he moved to Oslo.Hans Thorstensen (#89664), his wife Johanna and their 3 children (Trygve, Helga and Dagny) lived in Oslo at Birkelunds Gade 6 in 1900. Trygve emigrated to the USA on July 17, 1902 using the name Trygve Adolf T. Finholt. His sister Dagny emigrated in 1913 or 1914 to the USA and she went by the name Dagny Thorstensen. In the 1865 census, the following boy at Nokken seems to be a good candidate for Hans Thorstensen.Living at Sogn Udenæs, Prgj. Næs at Gardsnavn NOKKEN.7773 6 Hans Torstens. deres Søn ug 7 m Næs Prgj. There are several Finholt farms in Næs in 1865, but I cannot find a connection between this family and the name Finholt. Nor can I find Hans Torstensen/Thorstensen anywhere in the 1875 census.Maybe someone with more knowledge of the Nes area could shed some light on this for me. Always grateful for any help, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi Pearl! I am almost 100 % sure that the young Hans on Nokken is 'your' man.Nokken was a cottagers place under Finholt farm.I will take a look in my books when I get home. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Thanks, Laila.There was the possibility that Trygve just pulled that name out of a hat, but not likely. The Finholt name had to have meant something to him. Thanks for coming to my rescue again.I have tried to go into the English version of the MapOnWeb site for Norway but for some reason I can't access it anymore. Any of the other maps that I have, have not helped in locating the Nokken or Finholt farms.I couldn't find Dagny Thorstensen in the Emigrants from Oslo. Her son (now 82 years old)thinks she emigrated in 1912, 1913 or 1914. Maybe you could see if you could find her in the Emigrant records? Thanks again, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Not to much in the book though. But, one interesting thing!The family lived on Nokken (Tosten Audensen and his wife Karen Kristine Olsdatter with children), mentioned as in the census, then, 'left for Amerika in 1886'!!!1886 is not complete on the Emigrant-protocols on DA though.Another thing, Pearl, I dont find Dagny either. I assume she got married there, what name would I search for in the 1920-census? THis will give the emigrant year! Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Laila, Maybe that's not the right family then. I suppose Hans could have returned to Norway!I don’t know if Dagne was in Canada or the USA at the time of the 1920 Census. If she was in Canada, she lived here at Demaine. She returned to Minneapolis briefly in 1920. And then in 1922 returned to the States for good and lived in Minneapolis and Chicago. (more by email). Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Hello again. Laila, I'm wondering about the Audensen family from Nokken who emigrated in 1886. Did all of the children leave for America with their parents? Hans would have been 28 years old then.I forgot to mention Dagny's married name in 1920 was Sorensen. Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

One other thing to note, Hans Thorstensen's children were all born in Oslo, Trygve in 1884, Helga in 1891 and Dagny in 1893. If Hans was the son of Torsten Audensen and Karen Olsdatter from Nokken, he probably did not emigrate with his parents in 1886. What does the book say?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi again Pearl! The books say nothing more! Just 'left for America'. It dont say 'the family' or anything, it might even be one of the children, I don't remember now, but the sentence went like...Name, year, name, year, name, year, left for america in 1886. Period. I'll check it out. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.