Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10437] Bygdebøker for Romedal, Hedmark - Sigrid Marie Engebretsdatter (b. 1839)

Gjest Susannah Zemke
 Del

Gjest Susannah Zemke

From migration records, Siri(Sigrid) Ingebreksdatter/Engebretsdatter was from Løken gard, Romedal, born 18 Feb 1839, immigrated to Oslo on July 23, 1859.She married Ole Anderssen Mellby & immigrated to USA in 187Os. Family stories say that she had 3 sisters- Margareta Engebretsdatter - Emma (Evine) Engebretsdatter b: ABT. 1835 in Romedal, Hedmark, Norway - Helene Engebretsdatter b: 16 JAN 1828Can anyone tell me more about the parents/family of Sigrid Marie Engebretsdatter? The other associated last name (on her death certificate) is GRUNDT.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Hans Myhre

Hello Susannah, Correct!But she was not from Løken farm. Siri Engebretsdatter was born Januar 18, bapt. March 3, 1839 Skjøttreneie, Romedal. Parents: Embret (Engebret/Ingebret) Jensen and Mette(Methe) Embretsdatter(Engebretsdatter).hansmyhr@online.no

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susannah Zemke

Hans,Thank you very much for the information. This is interesting because somewhere in the family history, the stories about her parents/family must have been changed a bit - I don't know if this was done on purpose or if her grand-daughter Dagny Mellby was confused with other family stories. According to Dagny, Sigrid's father was Christian Grundt. This is obviously not correct and may be a mix from some other family stories because these sound more like characters from Dagny's mother's ancestors ...I wonder if at least the sisters are correct - does the book list the other siblings of Siri - supposedly these would be Emma/Evine, Helene, and Margaretta?Dagny wrote the following sometime in the 1950s about Sigrid/Siri's 'father': 'Colonel Christian Grundt born in Oslo. Descended from a long line of military men, Christian was sent to military academy in Oslo. He gained a commission; he became the Commander of the regiments of Hamar, Norway. As an officer in the King's army, one belonged to the elite - a social status of some standing. He married one Anna Pio, the daughter of a state official. She spoke several languages, was a singer and painter, sophisticated and socially prominent. The Grundts apparently live 'high and wide'. It is reported that their financial situation went up and down - periods of great wealth - and of financial depression. It is assumed that both inherited considerably from their families. The Grundts had four daughters - Margaretta a business woman, Mrs. ---Listad, Mrs. Dahl, and Sigrid. Sigrid was disinherited by her father for being married below her station. My father (Carl A. Mellby, Sigrid's son, professor at St. Olaf College in Minnesota) spent considerable time in Norway with members of the Grundt family - professional people including a banker, an engineer and a physician.'Looking at the 1865 and 1801 census for Romedal, based on your information, I have found what I think are both of her parents: - Mette Engebretsdatter (b. abt 1796, daughter of Engebret Dyresen & Berthe Jensdatter, living on Brynie farm) and - Engebret Joensen (b. abt 1795, son of Siri Andersdatter)Gard: Moen Ødegaarden Siri Andersdtr Moder 41 Ugift Inderste gaaer for dagløn KAnders Larsen Hendes børn 10 Ugift Hos moderen MEngebret Joensen Hendes børn 6 MAnd the interesting item from the census is that it has Engebret's mother's status as 'Ugift', not widowed so I assume that she was never married to the father of either of her sons? Or would a woman's status be listed as Ugift even if she was a widow? I don't know if that would have been something a bit scandalous at that time period so I wonder if someone may have invented a story to hide that fact?Thanks again for your information. It is helping me unravel the facts from the fiction in the old family stories. Regards, Susannah

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans Myhre

Hi Susanah, she was not born Feb.18, 1839 as you had. She had a sister Evinna born Sept.12, 1835 at the same place and another sister Helene born Jan.16, 1828 on Vestre Huuseeie.This from the churchbook, not the Bygdebok. hansmyhr@online.no

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.