Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10470] Vinje/Rauland Telemark - Tvitekkja

Gjest Ann Osmundson Berrie
 Del

I am looking for any information on my Ggrandfathers family, Aslak Osmundsen Tvitekkja. His parents were Osmund Knutsen and Hæge Olavsdatter. I am having trouble finding any conclusive records as to where they actually lived and where they were born. Aslak and his brother Knut,left in the early 1860's to come to America as Tvibakken, which I believe could have been a phonetic spelling of Tvitekkja. I would really like to find out more about their family and possibly make some connections with possible family members still in Telemark. I would appreciate any help that some one could give me. The farm names Svalstoga and Svalustuen keep popping up, are they different farms? Thanks Ann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

From 'Norsk stedsfortegnelse': Svalestu (Svalestog): Farm in Fyresdal, Telemark. Svalestuen: Farms in Nore og Uvdal, Telemark, adr: Nore i Numedal. Svalestuen (Svalastog): Farm in Hjartdal, Telemark. Svalestuen: Farm in Notodden, Telemark, adr: Gransherad. Svalestuen: Farm in Sauherad, Telemark, adr: Nordagutu. Svalestuen: Farms in Tinn, Telemark, adr: Tinn Austbygd. Svalestuen: Farm in Vinje, Telemark, adr: Grungedal. Svalestuen: Farm in Valle, Aust-Agder.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

After a short visit to the library: The following is from bygdebook for Vinje og Rauland (auth: Rikard Berge):Aasmund Knutsson born 1795 (3. son at the farm Svalastoga) also called Aasmund Lofthus or Aasmund Tvitekkja (as he bought farms and moved). Hæge Olavsdatter Lofthus b 1800 was his wife (and relative).Aasmund was the son of Knut Aslaksson Berge (Rauland in Vinje) b 1755 (later called Svalastoga) lived first at Svalastoga of Austbø (Rauland in Vinje), later at Svalastoga farm of Haddeland (Rauland in Vinje). Married 1790 to Aasne Bjørnsdotter Svalastoga b 1766. She was the daughter of Bjørn Bjørnsson Svalastog and his wife Ingebjørg.There is much information about this family in the 'bygdebok', but volum II was missing to-day (borrowed). I am sure you can find more information father back too - in volume II.I am going to Portugal this night (cannot use more time on this just now), can someone else look up Berge, Svalastog osv in volume II, and also translate into English some of the interesting informations in volume III!!? (the bygdebok is written in an old telemarks language!).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much for your time. That ended the confusion on the two farm names, now I feel a little less confused and I might be on the track. Hope you have a good trip and would appreciate any additional information when you have a chance. I really wish I could read the Berge books myself. Thanks again

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askeroi

I believe I've seen a question about Aslak before, but then the discussion ended with the age difference between him and brother Knut. Knut's age were confusing me from being sure of Aslak's father.But you now have it - I have (some) ancestors of your Aslak's father way back to the 14th century IF we can believe the bygdebooks and other printed sources. If you give me your e-mail adress I'll be glad to send you a print-out of what I have (it's much too much for this debate...)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think we exchanged some information on NorwayHeritage. There was a large difference in Knut's age and Aslak. Looks like things are beginning to come together. My address is daberrie@carrollsweb.com. I would appreciate anything that you might have, thanks for your help before and now. Ann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mary Farrell

Here's what I have on the Knut Osmundson Tvitekkja ancestry. I would appreciate corrections since my research is from the church books, not from the bygdebok.Knut Osmundsen Tvitekkja, born about 1831, son of Aasmund Knutson Svalastoga, born 1795, and Haege Olavsdtr Lofthus, born, 1800 Lofthus in Rauland.Paternal grandparents:Knut Aslakson, b. 1756 at Berge in Rauland, m. 1790 to Aasne Bjørnsdtr Svalastoga, b. 1766 at Svalastoga in Rauland.Maternal grandparents:Olav Aasmundson Lofthus, born 1773 Lofthus, married 1795 Ingebjørg Vetlesdtr, born 1767.Great-grandparents:Aasmund Aslakson Berge (1705-1773)m. 1739 Ingebjørg Knutsdtr Tveito, born abt 1716.Bjørn Bjørnson Midgarden (1725-1782), m. 9 Jul 1750 to Ingebjørg Rikardsdtr Svalastoga, b. 1730Aasmund Augundson Lofthus (abt 1745-1794), m. 13 Jun 1773 to Haege Homsdtr Lofthus (abt 1745-1773). Haege obviously died in childbirth, but the baby survived.Vetle Halvorson Bulid, b. 1726, m. 5 Oct 1755 to Aasne Torbjørnsdtr Ormkvaalen, born 1729.I have more, but if this part is not right then the rest isn't either. Thank you for any corrections,Mary Farrell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much for this information. The only thing that I see that might not be right is Knut was born in 1824. That is about the only thing I know for sure other than the name of his parents. From what I have found, the rest seems to be about the same so I really would appreciate anything else that you could provide. Looks like your information is fairly correct. Thank you so much for your response. I'm definitely looking forward to more information. This is great! Ann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askeroi

To Mary: Your list isn't quite correct. But the offer of sending a list of the anchestors I have of course goes for you as well - all I need is an e-mail address.But your information can't be from the real church books? You don't find approximately birth years there - you find exact birth/christening dates - or you don't find them at all in my experience. But maybe you are refering to some mormon stuff?To Ann: Making the file for you is no problem, but all my notes are in norwegian and it's quite a job 'translating' them - please be patient for another day or two...Oddly enough (now I know you're the same person I've been in contact with before about these people) I just thought of you a couple of days ago, when I got the news that my mother-in-law during a visit to Vinje had come across a name registar to Richard Berge's books for me. I hoped it would help solving your previous problem. Then you come up with the parents and here we go - without the name register...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'd like to thank both of you for all of your help. I'm willing to look at anything. It is all so interesting. Is this information that you have, been researched yourself or info from websites? I'm having a hard enough time finding my own family in my research let alone go through and do this for other families that I don't have a connection to. My hats off to both of you. Thanks Ann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askerøi

As I stated, my file is a result of collecting information from several bygdebooks and, for the middle ages, other 'serious' printed stuff.I'm just an amateur, like you, but I do not use stuff directly from internett - but if they state sorces I use thosae sorces.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mary Farrell

Yes,please Tom, I'd like what you have. My email address is mrogfar@aol.com.And I am, indeed working from the microfilms of the church records. I have Volume I of the Vinje and Rauland books, but that is the only one I have. Besides that I have some of the probate records from the probate card catalogue.Anne, the film for Rauland has arrived and I have found the bap. records for Knut in 1824 and his sister Ingebjorg a year or two later. It will take me a little time to get the rest done since I am charting the entire parish.Mary Farrell

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

To Tom: I noticed on your file that the names had -sson instead of sen, and dotter instead of datter as I've seen used before. I was wondering what the criteria was for the different usage.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tom Askeroi

It's more a question of preference. In the local language they use the 'old' norwegian forms -son and -dotter, while the clerks, wickars and other scholar people (danish education) tend to use the danish (and 'modern') forms -sen and -datter.There is no strickt rules for this - please remember that in the old days the language was werbal...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tom: Since I got your file, I've found out that there were two more brothers that came to America, Ole and Osmund. Been in contact with a Ggranddaughter of Ole. So, will have more info to gather and get entered. As soon as I do, even though it might take awhile to get it all together and sorted and verified, I will definitely send you a copy. Did you receive the one on Aslak's decendants?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Eli Irene Tubaas

Hello Ann Osmundson BerrieMy Ggrandfather Tarjei Rikardson Lofthus, b.1838, was a cousin of your Ggrandfather Aslak Osmundson Tvitekkja/Lofthus.Their fathers were brothers.The father of Tarjei was Rikard Knutsson Lofthus, b.1805.Eli Irene Tubaas

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You can not imagine how excited I am to hear from you. I was hoping that some time I would actually make contact with a relative. I'm enclosing my email address, daberrie @carrollsweb.com, please feel free to contact me, I have so many questions. Thanks so much for responding. I am very much looking forward to hearing from you.Ann

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.