Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10583] American surnames - Thomassen

Gjest Egil H Thomassen
 Del

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

I am sure the Soren/Sam you inform about is the right one, Kathy. Children and other dates match. Good work.But when Nettie left Christiania in 1872, it was on a pre-paid ticket, probably paid by her elder brother. Hence, Thomas must have emigrated before 1872, and the '1878 Thomas' is doubtful.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

That Thomas is a tough one -- it's amazing how many Thomas Thompsons are in the census from Norway. I'll have to review my scribbled notes from the index and see if I can find any more likely candidates. Is it possible that he and his family moved out of the Chicago area? Kept moving west like so many other Norwegians did?You said before that they were craftsmen. Can you be more specific about Thomas? That information might make it easier to sort him out from other Thomas Thompsons in the city directories and census records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

The sad thing is that I know almost nothing about the US relatives. The clues I have are the photos taken in Chicago and the info that Soren ran a boat at the Lakes. I have a photo of him besides that boat.Nettie and her second husband moved first to Iowa, then to ND (due to the birth places of their children) But the ND photos are of her and her family only. The other 12 photos from Chicago must be Soren and his family - and I think - Thomas's family.I supposed craftsmen, since their father was a craftsman, and their brother in Drammen was carpenter.A possibility could be to follow Ella and Roy on the censuses and other sources and see whether they married and if they have living successors.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I'am at the FHC and just found Sam, i hope!! was living at 4760 Wentworth Ave, wife is Christina, born June 21 1765(sic), (hey so they got it a little wrong!!); age at death 57 years 11 months 14 days, on june 5 1923 (hey so they got it a little wrong!), a carpenter, worked for Colesieum, born Norway, father Roy, buried Mt Olive(means i am going to visit Mt Olive real soon). Perhaps a family lot will tie it all together--Kathy its ok if you call and ask if others are on the lot card, (please). I also have a possible Thomas, but must order film..Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Well, someone will have to consult Soren's birth/bap to clarify his exact date, Egil can you do that...or has that been done.. and Christina just got it wrong? I believe enough matches that this is the right person, so i will ask for an obit lu(may take several weeks). I hope to visit the cemetery within a week or so..i have 6 possible Roys( b 1904)(from ssdi)..perhaps obits will clarify, if the Mt. Olive info does not. Regards to all, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Todays mail brought info about August(age 24) and Marie(maren). (from Joel at ELCA). The pastor wrote her age as 39 in his book and 33 on the license...'can you beat that' my grandma would be saying. No witness names, but does indicate birthplace, Vestre Fossen for him and Drammen for her. So i think these are the right people--is he in a farm book or census? I await film about them. (i have copies of most items-if you email an address i will send everything when we are 'done'. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Roger, you ask about Norw. census. How about 1865 census Lenke= August Anderssen age 5-6 born Vestre Thoten ?And in Drammen there is a hired girl, Maren Nielsdatter, age 17-18 in 1865. In the same part of Drammen, 1865:Nils Thommass. Bjælkehugger 50 KrydsherredElen Thommass. 48 EkerNetta Nilsd.* deres Datter 15 DrammenJosephine Nilsd.* deres Datter 13 DrammenThora Nilsd.* deres Datter 9 DrammenMartin Nils.* deres Søn 3 Drammen--Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Beth, thank you, perhaps since that August's parents are farm owners a 'farm book' will clarify? Who has the needed book? Did Martin stay in Norway? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

No doubt you have found Soren. He was born 21 July 1866 and baptized 9 Sept same year in Bragernes church, Drammen. (see Laila's info of 25.09.02 for all births)Maren, born 1848, would have been 37 in 1885 (to make it more complicated)Martin stayed in Drammen, Norway. He was my grandfather.Safest way to send info will be to my office: egil.thomassen@oppland-f.kommune.noKind regards.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Roger, I've probably mislead you regarding August A. (Tho I did use a question mark! :-)) Your pastor wrote Vestre Fossen; I found Vestre Thoten. He is, in any case, just one of dozens of August Anderssens.Now I think Vestfossen in Eker / Eiker is more likely. Emigration, 1884, see: Lenke(Wonder if he's related to Oline M., one line down...)--Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I have more indexes to review tomorrow, while waiting for film and obits; perhaps those will provide further clues as may finding them in the 1920 census. If thats the correct August i don't yet know,--but he is 'fond' of 'older'--no, make that 'better', women! Roger. (i am referring to 'snail' mail)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

At Mt. Olive, in unmarked graves, lies Sam/Soren and Christina, died June 6, 1946 and Roy, born nov 8, 1903-died aug 21, 1980 and Ella Cleary, died Aug 1984. I will ask for obits. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Thank you Roger for your thorough search. Seems to be no other descendants to Soren/Sam? Looking forward to see the orbits. Regards Egil

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Still no obits, but at the FHC i found the marriage license of Soren, age 29; and Miss Christine Marie Pedersen, age 32. Married Dec 14, 1895. A Torgersen marriage-so i will ask for a ELCA lookup. And i found the deah certificate of Christine. Living at 4760 Wentworth Ave. at that address 34 years. Born Aug 10 1864. Drammen. 'housewife'. Father a Peterson from Drammen, all other info was marked unknown. Info was by Ella GILL! (yup--2 marriages at least for Ella. Ella was living with her mother. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

With the two surnames of Ella in mind, there could possibly be a Carl Ludwig Gill or Cleary.The photo of a young Chicago couple I have, could be Ella and her first husband.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

I have been following your research with great interest. I don't want to throw you off track, but there is also something else to keep in mind. In Kathy's entry #25 - from the 1910 Census it records Christine is the 'mother of 3, 2 living'! Who is the 3rd child? Carl Ludvig? Just something else to consider. Keep up the good work. PD

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Reasonable input Pearl. Then Carl Thompson mentioned in Roger's entry #17 can not be the right one. Ought to be a Carl Ludwig Thompson dead between 1896 and 1910, is he was the third child of Christine.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't know if the Carl Thompson from number 17 is the one we've been searching for or not, but I do know that it is quite possible for someone to be listed in a U.S. record without their middle name being given.But at the moment, I favor the idea that he may be the third child who had died by 1910.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Only Christine's was found. Perhaps it will help to locate her in Norway to know she had a 'late' sister named Laura Swanson(nee Pedersen). (The ELCA lookup might arrive next week.) No children mentioned of Roy Thompson or Ella Gill. I have much to look at regarding Maren and August, and many Thomas Thompson's. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Familysearch report a Kristine Marie Pedersdatter born 10 Aug. 1861 (not 1864) Sister Laura Petrine Pedersdatter born 22 Mar. 1858. Both Bragernes, Drammen, Buskerud county.The 1865 census tells that father was Peder Christophersen, maltmaker. Wife Martine Paulsdatter (census) Martine Mortensdatter (familyserach) Five children, Chrestine Marie the youngest.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hello everyone, here is something to chew on and search for(if whale watching does not interfere-hehe, i 'yoke'): Thos Christian Thompson died at US Marine Hosp #5, 4141 Clarendon Ave, Chicago, Nov 28, 1925. In US 68 years. In hospital 16 days. At the time was married to Carrie Saunders Thompson. Was born Oct 1, 1845, Dremmen, father Nels Thompson(who was born in the mountains of Norway!---(good for a great laugh at the FHC!!!)). Mother Ellen ?. Was a Merchant Marine Master. Buried Holland, Michigan (his home at the time), Dec 3,1925. JJ(?) Hursen, undertaker. at 2346 West Madison St.(chicago i suspose).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Roger, is that information about Thomas from a death certificate? It sounds like the type of things an Illinois death certificate might give. If so, I think the statement that he had been in the US for 68 years may be wrong. That would mean that he immigrated in 1857 when he was 12 years old. Egil began this whole discussion by saying that his five aunts and uncles left between 1870 and 1885.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

You have found him Roger. His father Nils Thomassen was born in Flaa, Hallingdal, Buskerud county, which is a mountain area. And his mothers name was Ellen.I may have been wrong about the emigration year for Thomas. He could have left before or around 1865, since I have not found him on ship lists from Christiania after 1865.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Kathy may be correct, the info was taken from hospital records, mistakes could happen, and yes, since he died in Cook county he has an Illinois cert #31064. His residence was Route 1, Holland, Mi, which is in Ottawa county. I have already asked for help via links from usgenweb and asked for an obit lookup in Chicago. Have you seen the 1880 census on the LDS site? Look at T. C. Thompson, close perhaps, maybe more than one wife? We really need the obits. Kathy: can you suggest sources for Egil to consult, given that he was a 'master'. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.