Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10583] American surnames - Thomassen

Gjest Egil H Thomassen
 Del

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

In the Emigrants sailing from Kristania 1971-1921 database, aren't numbers 62211, 62212, and 62213, Thomas, Soren, and Tilla. Looks to me like Thomas came home for a visit and brought Soren and Tilla back to Chicago with him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here are some possible sources – but I only know of their existence, I have not used them yet myself. There are two places with records about Great Lakes shipping but my quick search attempt at their web sites were not successful. There probably is information about Thomas in those research collections somewhere but it's not yet accessible online. If he can be connected to a particular ship (perhaps one would be mentioned in an obituary), there is a better chance of finding something out.The first place is the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes housed at Bowling Green University in Bowling Green, Ohio. The website is [url="http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/hcgl/chgl.html>Lenke The second place is the Great Lakes Marine Collection at the Milwaukee Public Library in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The website is

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Oops! I gave numbers that are an unsearchable field for Thomas, Soren, and Thilla. Search for Tomas C. Thoms. sailing on the Rollo on 09.02.1883.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Your eyes seems to be better than mine Kathy. No doubt this was Thomas bringing Soren and Tilla to Chicago. The sailing register show that Thomas was married (g) in 1883.I have consulted the mentioned web sources without success.If Thomas was a resident of Holland, Michigan, an obituary might have been printed there as well as Chicago.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Todays mail brings this from the Herrick Public Library of Holland(Ralph Haan-Genealogy dept): No info about family except that there is a Mrs. Thompson. Lived at Virginia Park for last 20 years. His passing was front page news: 'lake captain passes at 80 years'. It seems he had a 'gasoline' launch 'toga', in retirement-named after a Japanese admiral(this in 1925). Was a Captain in the 60's. Sailed the 'Hattie Vissher' owned by JP DeCouder, a lumber vessel. Business boomed after the Chicago fire!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Thomas also sailed the 'Kate Howard', owned by Manley D. Howard. Also the 'R. Kanters', a wind-jammer. Sailed pleasure yachts in the Macatawa area, in addition to his own launch. Buried Pilgrim Home Cemetery. ..Laura married Svend Svendson Nov 15, 1883, he 26, she 24, both from Drammen(#77048). Roger. (the photocopy of the microfilmed newspaper was grainy-i am not sure of every letter)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I bet there would be an obituary for Thomas in the SKANDINAVEN after his death. And there's probably a copy in the Rowberg file. The newspaper is at the National Library in Oslo and in Madison at the Wisconsin State Historical Society. There's a copy of the Rowberg file at Vesterheim Genealogical Center in Madison. It might be in the LDS catalog, too, and therefore could be borrowed. But we folks here in Chicagoland can't find either of those things here in our home territory. . .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil Thee Danielsen

Talking about the conflagration that 8 -10 October 1871 reduced parts of Chicago to ashes, there is a book which elaborates on the little known social history of the catastrophe and rebuilding: Karen Sawislak: «Smoldering City: Chicagoans and the Great Fire, 1871-1874», Chicago 1995, pp. 396. I never got around to buying it myself, but I once read an extensive and very favorable book review of it. Sawislak costs only $15,95 in paperback. Many Norwegians must have been attracted to Chicago in the aftermath of the fire and it is easy to imagine that the basis of Chicago’s black community (with their distinct southern accent) was formed during those years following the Civil War.Several descendants of a priest named Jens Kobro Daae (1811-1897) made great fortunes in Chicago. Another Norwegian who only arrived in Chicago around the turn of the century after some 15 years in DeKalb might also have profited from the boom, but Ingolf Daae (born 4 February 1866), a cousin of both my grandfather and the children of Jens, vanished into thin air after 1900. He got married in DeKalb and had two children; no names available, unfortunately. Nobody seems to know what happened to Ingolf.I don’t want to make any deviation from the main theme of this discussion, but as Chicago cropped up, I wonder if somebody had the possibility to check the 1900 census. Some of Jens’ descendants in Chicago changed their name to Doe. Ingolf may have done the same, and yet I hope to find something more substantial than a John Doe...It is indeed a curious coincidence that Ingolf obviously disappeared from Chicago at the same time as his brother, Lars Jørgen Daae (born 15 June 1863), disappeared from Galveston, Texas (where he was working as a farmer). It seems plausible that the latter perished 8 September 1900 in the hurricane which practically razed Galveston from the surface of the earth, cf. www.1900storm.comSo, two brothers went to America — no doubt about that, both of them had a family — confirmed, no trace of them has been found in any American register — so far, and both vanished around the same time — as it seems. I am stuck.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I should be near a soundex within the next few weeks and will see if I can find anything in the 1900 census re Ingolf. It is indeed an intriguing story. . .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

I visited Oslo and the national library to-day, searched 'Skandinaven' from 28 Nov. to the end of 1925 without finding an obituary for Thos C. Thompson. In general, few obits in 'Skandinaven'. Not my lucky day.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Perhaps in a week or so we will have more to chew on, i have found his wife, she is Caroline; died Nov 12 1930 and is buried alongside Thomas. I've already requested an obit. Hopely this will address the possible issue of more than 1, i have some info about a Thomas Thompson/ Carrie Anderson marriage in Chicago in 1873, but the info recorded is too sparse for a sure connection. Roger. (clue: Pilgrim Home Cemetery is online-try a search engine)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

It was not Carrie Anderson, it was(fur sure!!), Caroline Saunders. She married James B. Saunders ca 1871, likely Chicago, records burned in Oct. She was 16. See the 1930 census, Michigan,Ottawa,Holland,age 75, born MI. Living with dau Clara S. Coy, b July 24, 1875, to Caroline. Another dau born dec 6, 1875?(77?), Lillian Mabel, Married Luther H Baldwin. Caroline married Thomas ca 1880(likely in MI) per the obit. Died while living with Clara and Alston Coy. Thomas and Caroline operated summer hotels(Lakeside) in MI, near Holland ca1880-ca1899. Moved to Holland area ca1900. No children of Thomas mentioned.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I have found the Baldwins in CA, am seeking their info. I have the obits for both Coys. Clara died Mar 9, 1953 and Alston Charles Coy(b Big Rapids) on Nov 3(?) 1958,(not clear if dod or pub. date of notice). Once worked in Chicago, executive/clothing firm. He had a newphew(sic) Martin T. Coy of Council Bluffs,IA. No children it seems. It seems Thomas may have married only once and has no children of his own, but this is not yet certain.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

The obit of Ella Cleary(nee Thompson) was pub, Aug 4, 1984 in Chicago Sun-Times; wife of Thomas Cleary, aunt of Kristine Miller and Roy Thompson(sic), and loving grandmother of Janet Cleary(say what?) and also other relatives(unnamed). Kossry(?) FH, 3100 w 59th, mass at St. Gail(?) Church, buried Mt. Olive. A possible Janet(b 1933) per ssdi, dod 9 june 2000, Glendale, Az. I will ask the library for the obit. ...so who are Janets parents? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Due to the ship register Thomas was married when he visited Norway in 1883. Must have been to Caroline S. As a sailor on the Lakes, he could of course have married in any of the Lake States. Have not found him or Caroline S. on the 1880 census of MI or Ill.Ella being a grandmother was interesting indeed. Perhaps the mentioned Carl Ludwig was a Cleary? If he was son of Ella (b 1896), he might have been born around 1920. Does not match with a Janet born 1933 however.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

If Janet is Az is not the correct one, then she is still living, the AZ Janet is the only one to die after the obit was published, switchboard has 11 Janets, and of course she could marry and change her name. She is possible because of the date and the ssn issue state was Illinois. Her obit will clear it, if it can be found. Also the obits of Luther/Lillian Mabel may help, she died in Hollywood and he in Solano county. Birth index ended with 1916, so no help from that. I have asked for an obit for a Carl L, passed 1950, to clear him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I have ordered film for death certs of an August/1921 and Laura's 1931/32, if these are right, then obits/cemetery info will help, and if Maren/August, a Torgersen marr, are the right people i can look at bap's for possible kids this week when i visit the ELCA. And the person at the Holland lib may help-i might ask him if SON or other Nor-Am resources in Ottawa county might have info. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Was not our Janet, so she may live, several listed at switchboard site, i believe she is actually a step gdau; no obit found for Luther, from an cert extract we learn he worked in real estate, lived in the Vallejo, CA area; but they worked in the LA area prior to retirement, was at the Wiggins Funeral Home, was born Vermont to a Louise, 7-27-1869. From the 1930 census some info and a puzzle, Christine Thompson, age 58, married at 25; to US 1890, SWE; lists son as Raymond H., age 26, single, never married; what happened to Roy?. Ella A. Gill, age 33, married at 26, now divorced-no others at this address. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

About August Andersen, who i believe is the husband of Marie(maren): at 5104 W Grand Ave, 4 years, in US 42 years, wife Marie, born Aug 29, 1863, Vestfossen, Norway; Andreas Andersen father, mothers name unreadable; informant, Mrs Mina(Harry) White(their dau, i believe), Wold&Wold, Mt. Olive(with parents/wife), died Aug 13, 1921. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

I believe the mentioned (Swedish) Christine Thompson with son Raymond H was not the correct wife of Sam (Soren). The right one must have been Christine of inputs # 19, 25 and 39.The sister of Thomas and Sam, Nettie Olstad, who died in Fargo ND, has a descendant of name Eugene H Miller. That may explain the Kristine Miller mentioned in Ella Clary's obit.To me Maren is a puzzle. I see the possibility that the verbal family story is not complete, and perhaps Maren did not emigrate or she returned like her sister Tilla. The family album contains more than 30 identified photos of their family in Norway, but no Maren. On the other hand, among the Chicago photos are four un-identified women dessed in crinoline. One of them could be Maren ?I appreciate your search Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Within a few weeks, at most, we will know if this is the correct Maren. The one i've found had an unnamed 'baby', a son Arthur, and 2 married dau's: Mina(Mrs Harry White) and Gertrude(Mrs Thomas Benson); i guess these names are unknown to you. I think this because all these are in the same 'lot' in Mt. Olive, i have more digging to do, perhaps there are more children than these. About Roy/Ray--these are the right people as the address is 4760 Wentworth. So i suspose either they mixed Roy/Ray (Norski accents?) or they had twin boys or boys born close together-say 10/11 months apart. Its a great puzzle, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

In the SSDI, i find a Raymond Thompson, born 12 Aug 1904, died feb 1985, in Sun City, AZ--a retirement community. His SSN was issued in Illinois. I wish the day had been posted, but i may seek an obit anyway; this was the only person in the index who seems to fit!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I also did not mention that Christine is from Norway, born to Norwegians, but the language spoken looks like Swedish or perhaps Scottish, and could just be a mistake. I am referring to the 1930 census, and i see that only 1 boy is mentioned in the 1910 census, so the apparent confusion could just be about the name spelling...Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

I agree that Christina is a great puzzle. Due to the 1910 census Sam and Christina Thompson with children Ella and Roy lived at 5339 Wentworth Ave. Between 1900 and 1910 they lost a child. Christina emigrated 1893. Ella was born Sept 1896 and died Aug 1984. Roy was born 8 Nov 1903 and died 21 Aug 1980 (input # 37).A Christina Thompson lived at 4760 Wentworth Ave from 1912 on with children Ella A and Raymond H. Raymond was born 12 Aug 1904! and died Febr 1985. Christina emigrated 1890. Ought to be two different families and name similarity on Wentworth Ave. Marriage dates for the Ella's may give a clarification.Your info about Maren/Mary was interesting, because among the Chicago photos are five of small children. One or two could be of Roy, one the unknown Carl Ludvig, but the remaining two are girls. Due to the 1900 census for Norway, sister Tella had returned then and lived with her old father in Drammen. Hence the photos (seems to be from the 1910-20 period) had been sent to her from Ill and ND.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

In the 1920 census Sam is Samuel and is with Christina and Ella and Roy. The year to US is given as 1886 for him, 1885 for her. I've got the cert for Harry White, wife Mina, born Sept 7 1874, New York City, to Robert of NYC and Amelia Holmes of Christiana, Norway. Lived at 2107 N. Leamington Ave. dod of Mar 28, 1934. (film for Mina on order) Was a Chicago street car motorman. When i found Gertrude Benson and Thomas Bensen together i guessed they were married. Opps. Gertrude was 8 months old, per an IL index. (film on order)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.