Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#11614] Carrie Johnson, Chicago = som nål i en høystakk!

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt
 Del

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt

Prøver å finne en Carrie Johnson i Chicago, kan noen hjelpe meg?Carrie Johnson, eller Karen Saxesdatter som hun opprinnelig het, utvandret fra Trøgstad. Karen/Carrie var født i 1835, eldste datter av Saxe Christensen og Anne Andersdatter. (Høntorp)-Finner henne i folketellingen 1865, Trøgstad: 29 år ugift spinnerske med to mindreårige barn, hhv 2 of 4 år gamle. Barna het Anne M. Kristiansdatter og Christian Petersen, og jeg antar de har forskjellige fedre. [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&filnamn=f60122&variabel=0&postnr=1786&fulle=true&spraak=n>Lenke-Finner henne igjen i tellingen 1875; Karen Saxe, 39år denne gang som kokke i Asker (uten barna). Lenke-I emigrasjonslister: 21.08.1880 Karen Saxe, 32 år (!), reiser uten barn, destinasjon Chicago.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

I think finding an obit for Carrie would be the best way to try to trace her in Chicago. She didn't turn up when I searched the 1930 census index on Ancestry.com (would have been 97 if still alive) and I think it is safe to say she probably died within 10 years of that 1918 obit. So that eliminates lots of the Carrie Johnsons ( and all the spelling variations) on the online Illinois Death Index. Take the death dates of the dozen or so that are left and look for an obit.The Rowberg file would be the easiest place to start. The original is at the Norwegian American Historical Association in Northfield, Minnesota, but Vesterheim Genealogical Center in Madison and the Family History Library in Salt Lake City have microfiche copies. I don't know if there is a copy of it anywhere in Norway. If no access to the Rowberg File, then the Chicago newspaper Skandinaven, which is in Oslo, and by the 1920's was printing some decent obits. If nothing in the Skandinaven, a check of the Chicago Daily News, which is available in downtown Chicago and at the Wisconsin State Historical Society.My knowledge of Norwegian geography is poor. What fyllke is Trøgstad in? Perhaps Carrie or her descendants were involved in a bydelag in the United States and the lag may have information on her family. An e-mail inquiry to the lag genealogist might give some information.And I'll give the Pedersen Funeral Home records a look the next time I can make it to our local Family History Center.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hello Heidi, Kathy tells me a Christian Petterson with a daughter Hilda is in the 1920 census. In Illinois marriage index there is a Christian Petterson marrying Elsie Larson, June 27, 1883. Seem possible? There is a Christian August Pettersen in the IL death index, 3-20-1932; might be him? As i've noted before(being silly), it does no good that my mother was born in Norway--i need the basic facts in English, could someone please translate? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

A translation attempt, Roger.(I) try to find a Carrie Johnson in Chicago, can anyone help me?Carrie Johnson, or Karen Saxedatter, her origin name, emigrated from Trøgstad (Akershus County). Karen/Carrie var born 1835, elder daughter of Saxe Christensen and Anne Andersdatter Høntorp.Found her in the 1865 census living in Trøgstad, unmarried spinner with two minor children, two and four years old. Name of children; Anne M Kristiansdatter and Christian Petersen, probably two different fathers.Found her again in the 1875 census, Karen Saxe, 39 years old, this time as a hired cook in Asker (without the children).The emigration register of 21.08.1880 tells that Karen Saxe, 32 years old (!) departed without children, destination Chicago.She had four brothers and sisters, of which three settled in Minnesota. Year 1918 the eldest brother Nick Saxesen died and his obituary mentioned his sister Carrie Johnson living in Chicago. Karen/Carrie was then 83 years old.The next trace I have is her grandchild Hilda Peterson (daughter of Christian Peterson) showing up in Norway on the 1950-ties. Hilda who is a nursing sister and missionary, has grown up in Chicago with her father and stepmother. Her mother died when she was a minor. (Source: Relatives from Minnesota remembering this 'aunt' from Chicago).Carrie/Karen must have married in US with a Mr. Johnson. I try to find that one, and also the daughter Anne M. Kristiansdatter. The starting-point to find her ought to be Chicago, but there is a lot of people with the name Carrie Johnson in Chicago. I have searched the censuses and the Illinois death register.Can someone advice me how to start?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The information in the 1920 census, National Archives film T625-352, ED 2065, page 7B is for the family of Christian Petterson, age 53, emigrated 188? (last number is 8, I think), naturalized 189(3 or 2), born in Christiania (seems the census taker made a mistake because Nor. is written over that. I wish there were more 'mistakes' like that. . .), occupation house carpenter. Wife Maren J. (or L), age 58, born in Christiania, daughter Hilda, 29, born in Illinois, public school teacher.Carrie's son was born in 1861 so should be 59 in 1920. But age given on census records is not reliable. Hilda's approximate age when she visited Norway is probably the best clue about this being the right Christian.I could not decipher the name of the street they lived on. I looked at the people listed around this family and didn't see Carrie living close by.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Sorry, it was a littlebit too early in the morning for me. Trøgstad is in Østfold County (former Smaalenes amt), while Asker is situated in Akershus County.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

In 1900 Nickoli Saxon f Dec. 1843 in NOrway lives with his sister and her husband and children. Ole Christofferson and wife Mary A. (b. Feb. 1850). (Lived in Lue Qui Parle, Lake Shore Twp.What about maybe get an obit for these folks also? THey had 5 children by the way. If you are interested in a copy of the census, tell me.Nicolai is also to be found in BLM LenkeLaila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt

Thank you for all help and interest in this matter! (And Egil, thanks for translating!)Kathy, It seems very likely that this is the right Christian Peterson and daughter Hilda, because my father (who met her as a boy) remember her to be of the same age as his father; between 50 and 60 in the 1950’s. Was there any information about what county or area of Chicago they lived in?In regards to Nick Saxeson (my grate grandmothers brother) ; I found him and his sister with family in Minnesota, have obtain copies of death certificates, obituaries and naturalization records, and even a biography in a history book! With the information they gave, I ended up with the US phonebook, and have connected with several cousins who descend from Nicks sister Marie. I fact, I have connected to 82 living American relatives after I “found” Nick Saxeson, it has been a thrill, so this is kind of my success story. But thanks for offering your help anyway, Laila.Again, I’m amazed of the interest you have shown, and I really appreciate your help which has given me valuable information.Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I looked at the census record again, consulted http://www.alookatcook.com (a current favorite site of mine), looked at a map of Chicago, and then put in the address I had figured out on the Yahoo map page, and got a map showing the very spot.The address is 2148 N. Avers Street, Chicago. That was in the 33rd Ward, Jefferson Township, in the 1920 Census. And that is an area of Norwegian settlement in Chicago. The Norwegian community just kept moving northwest along the Milwaukee Avenue corridor -- that's why you find a lot of people of Norwegian ancestry in the northwestern suburbs today.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

First i must give thanks to everyone helping, found Karen Saxesen in the igi, born 20 june 1835 to Saxe Christensen and Anne Andersdr, Trogstad, Ostfold. For the death index lu i have ordered film. For the marr, his age is wrong, but is still possible; that was until i found this: Hilda, 2nd child, born Nov 10 1890 at 502 W Erie to Norwegians, Mary Peterson, nee Kristiansen, and Kristian Peterson, a carpenter, a midwife birth and so was recorded in the civil records. Per ssdi, it seems unmarried, Hilda Petterson, born 10 nov 1890, died aug 1985,Park Ridge, IL(60068). The day would help! Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Heidi--i've ordered film for the marriage, and looked at 8 Carrie's and 1 Karen. Do you agree that Karen/Carrie had no middle names recorded in the church book? I will order film only for those without a middle name; 6 of these left to look at in Cook. I will see if the online Chgo Trib has a Hilda notice. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt

Sorry, have been away from my computer for a couple of days..Roger, I have only seen her mentioned as Karen or Carrie. No one in her family had middle names, (as far as I have seen). So most likely, Karen was her only name.Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Heidi: I did not find her obit in the Trib, so i asked the Park Ridge Public Library for help. They send an email with the obit attached. I will forward if you give an email address...it does not mention any other persons, but offers clues as to some organizations which may be able to help. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

About Anne: what is the source of the info about 'M'? Finding her church book entry would help, what is her birth date and complete middle name? Roger. (is Ringsaker at all possible for her 'home'? - i have an Anne of about the right age on a marr cert, but i think Ringsaker rules her out-agree?)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Here is some info about Kristian Petterson, lived at 5120 Altgeld St for 19 years; married to Christine of unknown age; born Dec 18, 1864 at Trygstad, Norway; carpenter/Board of Education; father Peter Torkelson of Trygstad; mother Karen Saxeson of Trygstad. Informant was Hilda Petterson of 5120 Altgeld St. died April 3, 1946; buried Mt. Olive, Chicago; Wold/Wold FH. I will request the notice and visit the cemetery. Perhaps more than one wife? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt

Thanks again Roger, and yes, there was two wives. I’m told that Kristian’s daughter Hilda had a stepmother.Information on Anne M./ Anne Marie mentioned above is from FamilySearch: Christened 20 JUL 1862: Anne Marie Christiansdatter, mother Karen Saxesdatter father Christian Nicolaisen, Trøgstad.Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Well, i've learned some things-but still a puzzle; its sure that Karen, born 1835 is buried at Mt. Olive with Kristian, Christine, Maren, and John; but the cemetery clerk could not find her 'card'! She died in 1918 per the marker, but i do not find her in the IL index! Perhaps she is the 'C Nora' aug 26, 1918--i will check another film index next week at the FHC. Christine died dec 28, 1963. Maren died april 21, 1923. John was born 1889 and died 1890, so he is likely Hilda's brother, i'll check an index. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

The news is that after looking at many Carrie and Karen Johnsons, she was found with her son in Mt. Olive Cemetery(section F, Lot 89), Chicago---under the surname Kristiansen! Some details--lived at 2148 N. Avers for 5 years, in US 40 years, a widow; Born June 22, 1835(differs by 2 days); retired housewife; born Norway to unknown parents, informant C. Peterson of 2148 N. Avers Ave; died Dec 10, 1918; H Thompson/HG Moller of 3429 Fullerton Av, undertaker. Maren Petterson, of 2148 N Avers, in Chicago/US 35 years, wife of Kristian, born Dec 19, 1861; Christiania; housewife, unknown parents; informant was Kristian;died April 21, 1923; TB; undertaker Thompson of 3429 Fullerton. John Petersen died at 8 months, Feb 20, 1890(i ordered film). I've asked for obits..and i've got a Trib obit for Hilda which states she is survived by relatives--but no names! Perhaps Anne Marie was married with children...we wait for the notices...Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

From the IL marriage index--Petterson, Kristian and Andresen, Maren; Cook--6/30/1888, Lic 128678, i can do a lookup. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Perhaps you will find this interesting--The young John was living a 502 W Erie when he died from flu at 8 months. From the Chicago Trib, Wed Dec 11, 1918-Karen Kristiansen-aged 83, 5 months; mother of K. Peterson and Mrs. B. T. Nelson; 2148 S. Avers; Mt. Olive. From the Chicago Trib Fri April 5, 1946--Kristian Petterson, husband of Christine(nee Nelson); father of Sister Hilda and the late John; brother of Mrs. Marie Nelson; Mt. Olive; and from the Trib of Mon Dec 30, 1963--Christine Petterson; wife of late Kristian; mother of Sister Hilda; aunt of Arthur N., Arthur B., Fred Nelson, Olaf Olson, Neil Bernson, Gunda Sta?lesen, and Minnie Erickson; Mt. Olive. I'll leave it to you to figure out who is who! Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi C. Huitfeldt

Thanks again Roger, I don't know how you figuered this out, but I'm thrilled!Kristiansen ?? I wonder where that came from.. A classic example on how one answer rises 10 new questions! It seems that I have something to work on for a while...Heidi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.