Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#12363] Bernt M. SHULL from Norway - where did he come from?

Gjest Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Dear Listers,On behalf of my friend Diane Evans in Oregon I would like to post the following inquiry, hoping that someone is capable of producing some good suggestions:Sincerely yours,Lars E. Øyane~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This name appeared on a death certificate that I got. Bernt M. SHULL, born in Norway. That's all I know, except that he married a Mary Johnson, but it could have been after he arrived in the states. His son was born in 1886 in Wisconsin. Thank you, Diane~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

In the 1920 census, there is a B M Shull in Mountain View Township, Santa Clara County, California, 58, a naturalized citizen who emigrated in 1882. Wife Mary E., 57, born in Minnesota, Daughters Edna, 34?, and Florence, 30, born in Wisconsin, and 4 female boarders (2 teachers, 2 stenographers). He was a book binder for ?? Press Publisher, Edna was a student and Florence a returned missionary. Only address given is Mountain View, no street number.1920 Census, California, Santa Clara County, ED 126, page 10A, microfilm T625-146So I think the next thing to do is to check the emigrant protocols for 1882. His census age and first name give some things to search on.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think Knut has found him.And he was in the 1930 US Census, Santa Clara County, City of Mountain View, ED 7, page 6B. His name was given as Ben M., the year of emigration was given as 1881 this time, he was still a book binder for 'Publishing Asso(ciation)'. First married at the age of 22, which would be 1884. Daughter Edna has same occupation of book binder, daughter Florence is noted as being absent, occupation is 'trained nurse'. Their address was 256 Bailey Avenue.Wife Mary and daughter Edna are listed on the California Death Index on Rootsweb.com but he isn't. They both died in Santa Clara County. The index starts at 1940 so I think he died sometime between 1930 and 1940 in Santa Clara county. A death certificate for him may give information about where he is from in Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

In 1900-census: Michigan, Calhoun County, Roll 704 Book 2, Page 123a (sheet no. 6)http://lailas.net/lookup/shull.gifThere is no son born in 1896, the mother had given birth to four children, and all the four children are listed....Son Claude: Shull, Claude A View Image Online Age: 29 Year: 1920 Birthplace: Michigan Roll: T625_746 Race: White Page: 9B State: Massachusetts ED: 93 County: Worcester Image: 1022 Township: LancasterClaudes father was norwegian, mother born in WI. He was married and had one son.SHULL CLAUDE ARCHER MALE B:5 Apr 1890 D:9 Aug 1956 MICHIGAN SANTA CLARA SS#568506165 Mother: JOHNSON Father: SHULLSHULL EDNA MAY FEMALE 31 Dec 1884 21 Nov 1944 WISCONSIN SANTA CLARA 0 JOHNSON SHULLSHULL MARTIN L MALE 31 Jul 1886 13 Mar 1953 WISCONSIN BUTTE 0 JOHNSON SHULL

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I found this on Familysearch.org: BERNT MAURITZ JOHANSEN Male Event(s): Birth: Christening: 14 SEP 1862 Ostre Toten, Oppland, Norway Parents: Father: JOHAN ANDREAS JOHANNESEN Family Mother: HENRIKKE OLSDROn the US-census 1900 it states that Bernt M. was born in april 1861. would he be to 'old' to be christened in September 1862?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

This is the same person as found by Knut Bryn (above) in Skjøl in Toten. Family Search may well have registrated his baptism a year too late, or the US Census got it wrong. I tried to find Bernt's (and also looked for Andrine's eventual) emigration, without sucess, but Laila is better at that than me, so take nothing for granted. (There is an Andrine Johannesdatter from Ø Toten in the emigrations lists, but the age is wrong.)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't find him. hmmm. WHere did you get that Andrine also emigrated, Per H.?I saw that Bernt M. Shull and his son Claude Shull came to Ellis Island in 1920, don't tell where they have been thought. And, I don't find them on the DA-emigrants. Bernt lived in CA, and his son in Mass.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

No, I did not get that Andrine emigrated, I just thought that since I don't find any trace of Bernt emigrating, then may be via his sister (names twisted and all that). Having a relatively rare name she ought to be easier to find. And I mentioned it just to inform you and others that that road had been attempted. Sorry if I created confusion, I could have been clearer...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi again PH! You did not create confusion....but, Andrine is not Bernt's sister! She is his Auntie!Take a close look at the census 1865, it say that Andrine and Teoline is 'his sister', meaning Johan Johannesens sisters. It also say that the children are 'JOHANS*', but the sisters are 'JOHANNES*'. See? Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ashamed of myself. I did notice Johan Andreas Johannesen Sjøll, but did not look down, to notice Bernt... This is not my day!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wonder where the year 1881-1882 came from in the US censuses... oh well. I also found this Johan, PH, so, dont be ashamed. And, I hate when they did not index the surnames of the children!hrmf!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Thanks to everyone for engaged behavior and for interesting information. I am forwarding all of this info to Diane, and I am sure she'll be happy to find it when she wakes up...!Sincerely yours,Lars E. Øyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

To Laila: thanks for the comforting. And for calling me PH or pehå. Everybody does. How did you know? Yes, the lack of indexing is troublesome. But as is visible from this discussion: making any changes whatsoever to the original materiel is even more risky. When we don't notice the obvious, what cannot happen if you change something at will during the registration!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Nice to see success. About those census dates for year of emigration -- that is one part of US census data that often is wrong, especially when the answer is given many years after it occurred. And the records don't indicate who answered the questions. Welcome to the frustrations of dealing with US records. . .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Sonja Fjellhaug

Lars, har du mer informasjon om denne fyren? Send i såfall gjerne til Ole eller meg på Toten, vi ønsker mest mulig informasjon. mvh. Sonja

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars E. Øyane

Sonja!Eg har i kveld sendt over Totenmuseet sin e-mail adresse til Diane Evans og oppmoda ho om å ta kontakt direkte! Ho vart svært oppglødd over alle dei opplysningane som kom fram her i debattforumet!Med venleg helsing,Lars E. Øyane

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.