Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#12464] How do you cite a Norwegian church book?

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt
 Del

This is a question that I have been wondering about for awhile. What information do genealogists in Norway think should be included in a proper source citation from a church book?This is what I can understand from tema 12424: In inleggen 2 it says 'HF 344 Ullensaker 7, 1786-1815.' That tells me it is from the 7th Ullensaker church book for the years 1786-1815. But what is HF 344?In inleggen 4, it says Ullensaker KLOK I 1 1815-1835 7/11 page 439, no 7. That tells me I can find the information in the Ullensaker Klokkerbok 1 for 1815-1835, in item number 7 on page 439. But what does the 7/11 mean and what about the I part of the klokkerbok?What do I need to write down about a churchbook when I am recording information to be used in my family history?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jorunn Olsen

Hei KathyThe number HF 344 is the number on the film roll ore fiche. Like you order a film roll from your library, you have the year you will like to look at,an that film roll also has a number on it so it will not be confused whit films from the same year but from other plaices. I dont know the ansver to your next questioneMVH.Jorunn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eva McKenna

Hello Kathy,As in this example, I would quote;Ås Kirkebok Mini I 4, 1818-1826, fiche 1/6, pg.57, no.39.This tells me it is the church records from Ås, written by the vicar - hence the Mini(sterial)for the period 1818-1826. My entry is on fiche one of six, page 57, entry number 39.This way, I or anyone else interested, can easily get to the original entry.Hilsen Eva

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

The two are 'different' in that the first is citing a roll microfilm while the second is citing a microfiche. It is fiche #7 out of 11 which is making up 'Klokkerbok' which is covering the whole parish of Ullensaker 1815-1835. The microfiches of the 'klokkerbok's for Ullensaker are numbered KLOK I 1 (whole parish 1815-1835), KLOK I 2 (main parish 1901-1913), KLOK I 3 (main parish 1914-1929), KLOK II 1 (Hovin sub parish 1901-1917) and KLOK II 2 (Hovin sub parish 1917-1941). Page 439, no 7 refers to the real church book (as will be seen on the microfiche).The microfiches are coded in the following way (which is MUCH more logical than the roll microfilms): There is only one church book on one fiche set. Each set is coded with letters, MINI ('ministerialbok', written by the vicar), KLOK ('klokkerbok', copy written by the church servant) + some times some others like LYSN (lysningsbok)etc. After these there MAY (omitted if there are no sub parishes) be a roman numeral denoting which subparish is covered, if different subparishes had different church books. Finally there is an ordinary number which is sequencial in time. I.e. Ullensaker MINI I 1 is the first church book of the main parish. You can find all microfiches of Norwegian church books on LenkeThe roll microfilms have several church books on each roll, in a rather random fashion.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for your answers. It makes it easy to see how to make a footnote now.All of the places I use church records from here get them on microfilm. I rent films to use at the local LDS Family History Center, use films at Vesterheim Genealogical Center in Madison, or use microfilm at a lag stevne.One other small problem -- what do you do about a sogn whose name has been changed? For example, my grandfather was baptised in Slemdal, which is now Siljan. How would that look in a footnote?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.