Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#12928] Anyone from Duluth who might recognize a picture? Taryn Flolid?

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen
 Del

Taryn, are you stilll with us? In debate no 12825 string no 20 Laila has kindly set up a link to a photo which seems to be from 23 Ave West 6th Street, Duluth, Minn. Do any of these houses in the photo still exist? Does it have any resemblence to the area today, and is the house in any way identifiable? We know that Bolette and Louis Peterson (Pedersen) lived there with their adopted daughter Clara Peterson in about 1906 when the house was newly built, and that Thea and Fritz Collett, who emigrated in 1901, may also be in this picture, they lived for a period in Sunedin (?) Avenue (or something close). Is that near by?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Maureen Engeseth

I do not recognize the house, but will ask family /friends to go see what they can find around 23rd Ave West and 6th Street. It may take a while.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Nice of you, thank you very much. If I come any closer to the exact address I'll inform you in this forum. Are there generally a significant number of wooden houses from this period left at all?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Taryn Flolid

lots of those wooden houses are on the hillsides of Duluth. The St. Louis county historical society, which I earlier gave information for, for this family, might have old telephone listings and directories for that time period. Then you could get exact addresses. There are also online reverse address search pages, to get the name and telephone of the people who own the house now.Or you could just write to them at the address you get for the house.'The Family At' could be what you put for the name.I don't know if just anyone can get a copy of the abstract of deed or title to the property. I think so. That lists everyone who owned the property, and when the ownership changed, etc. Sometimes you can get good information from that on your relatives. When they died, who inherited, etc.The St. Louis county courthouse (or through the historical society) might be able to get that for you.If you have misplace the St. Louis County (Duluth area) historical society contact information, here is the website to find it.[url="http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/mho/chsclo.html>http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/mho/chsclo.html Here are the St. Louis County Rootsweb pages again http://www.rootsweb.com/~mnstloui/I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive from Duluth, so sorry I can't help in a more hands on way.You could try the Random Acts of Kindness website

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...

I just found a letter to my grandfather from his sister, dated february 1939. It says, in translation: Have recently had a mail from Bolette. She has sendt us three specimen of a Norwegian Newspaper from Duluth, I send one to you. (It describes a Christmas Celebration in her father's cotter's hut in Enebakk in 1878.) And inserted in the letter is a piece of paper with the following name and address:Mrs Louis Pedersen 2305 W. 6th Str, Duluth Minn, USAAnd now my big question is, of course: could that be the house in the picture in the link given here? (The link is still operative): http://www.lailas.net/lookup/perhaakon1.jpgpehå

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 år senere...
Gjest Lane R. Ellis

Hello Per, I live in Duluth, Minnesota, and just checked the Duluth City Assesors Office web site, and it looks like the address is still in existence. Here are some details :Parcel ID 122002580 Plat Name DULUTH PROPER SECOND DIVISION Title Holder DAVIS DENISE LBelow may be one or more land and building detail listings for the property listed above.Taxpayer DetailsTaxpayer Name DAVIS DENISE Taxpayer Address 2305 W 6TH ST DULUTH MN 55806Property DetailsProperty Address 2305 W 6TH ST Title Holder DAVIS DENISE L Property/ Homesteader DAVIS DENISE L Status Taxable Parcel Tax Code Homestead Land Emv 4600 Bldg Emv 84200 Story Yr Blt Units L W GF Foundation 01.7 1903 1 014 018 000252 Full Basement01.7 0000014 018 000252 Full Basement01.7 0000010 013 00013001.0 0000003 005 000015Main SqFt 649 Gross Area 1092Garage DetailsGar # Type Yrblt 0000 L/W 000/000 Sqft 00000 Basmt Gar Lot DetailsFront Ft 70 Depth Ft 35 Area Sqft 2450 Zoning 2 Family residentialLast Recorded SaleDate Price Verify04/1978 23000 The house was built in 1903, so this must be the one in your photograph. I checked a city directory and found the phone number of the people who live there now (1-218-722-4327). I'll try to stop by tomorrow and take a digital picture of the house for you. Best Regards from Duluth, Lane R. Ellis

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is so great! I don't after a first look manage to interpret all the technical details of this form. But it is certainly the same house, because we know they built themselves a house at this address at the turn of the century. It would be great if I could have a picture of what it looks like nowadays! I was convinced that the city development had long time ago 'run over' the house, and that it did not exist any more. Thank you very much, Taryn! And a Happy New Year, by the way.(And let me use this opportunity: if someone else of all those I have contacted in the US and Canada read this, PLEASE send me a mail (the same old mail address), because I have lost hundreds of mail adddress after two severe hard disk crashes; that explains why you have not heard from me lately...)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Lane R. Ellis

Hello again Per, I have gotten pictures for you. I am sorry it took me longer than I expected, but Duluth has had some big snow storms this past week. Today I was able to drive to the house and took six pictures for you. The house is located on the hillside in West Duluth, an area now called Lincoln Park, and is six blocks up the hill so it has a bit of a view of the Duluth harbour. The house is very nice and looks well maintained, and was the nicest on the block I would feel confident in saying. It looked like a cozy house full of life and a family with children appears to live there. I thought of your relatives while I was there taking pictures. I have placed the pictures on my web site temporarily for you, at the following URL :Lenke If you can download them from there just let me know before I delete them. I'll leave them up until you can get them. I hope you enjoy the pictures of 2305 West 6th Street. Best Regards from Duluth, Minnesota, Lane R. Ellis

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is just great! I have now downloaded the photos, thank you so much, but maybe you leave them for just a few days so others can, if they want to, compare the photo from 1906, still on Laila's net (see no (3)), with the january 2005 pictures.The house has not changed much, your pictures have evidently been taken from the opposite side of the house, there seems to have been no road there (yet) in 1906. The house to the left in your photo no 0041 must be the one to the right in the old photo, it surprisingly does not seem to have been changed much either. Wonder if the people living there now are aware that the house is soon turning a hundred?You have by the way a lot more snow than we have, this winter has been unusually mild until now, and we have had very little snow in the Oslo region until now.Than you very much foor the trouble you have taken, I am so grateful! Yours Per Håkon

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lane R. Ellis

Hello Per, I am glad you have gotten the pictures of the house. I will leave them on-line for at least a few months. Also, I will try to go back and take some more pictures for you once the weather is better, and can get pictures from the other sides of the house. Yes, we have much snow here in Duluth this year, which is great for cross-country skiers like myself. Best Regards, Lane R. Ellis

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.