Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#13114] Thea Matdr (Osmar?) and children Nils Malfried and Olga. Imm. to MN

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten
 Del

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

I'm looking for information on Thea Matdr. Her first husband's name may have been Osmar. She had at least 2 children with him (Nils Malfried and Olga). She immigrated as a widow to MN approx. 1887 with her children, and possibly a brother named Oscar.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Do you know where and when she was born in Norway, where she lived, married and got her children?Did she emigrate from Kristiania?Her children were named Nils Malfried and Olga. I believe thata he was named Malfred because Målfried is a female name in Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

According to records in the US, Thea was born 12 May 1856 in Norway. I have no idea where in Norway she was born or married, which makes finding her very difficult. Thanks for telling me about the difference between the names Malfried and Malfred. I didn't realize one was male and one was female. So far as I have seen, Nils Malfred was her eldest child, and he was born about 1885. He died in 1887 shortly after they arrived in MN. Olga Mathilda was born about 1886 in Norway. Unfortunately, all the documents for her and her brother Nils that I have seen consistantly show Thea's 2nd husband as their father, which is impossible. He had already lived in the US for quite some time, while Thea had not yet arrived. I have only family 'rumor' which tells me that Thea's 1st husband's name was 'Osmar'. I haven't found anyone in Norway with that name, so I may be spelling it phonetically in English.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Perhaps Oskar or Osmund? What was the name of her sec. Husband?What do you know about her brother Oscar? Oscar Mathison??? Did they bring any photos with them?Where did they settle?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Nils Alfred, Nils Valfred, Nils Malfred......----------Why not.......according to Familysearch;THEA MATIASENChristening:01.JUN 1856 in Hof parish, Hedmark CountyFather: MATHIAS PEDERSENMother: OLEA GUTTORMSDR------------Census 1865LenkeWhich shows that this Thea at least had one brother named Gustav.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

Thea's 2nd husband's name was Oscar Nelson, son of Nels Stave. Oscar immigrated with his family when he was about 12, in 1879. They were from the Oslo area. Thea immigrated around 1887, and she and Oscar were married in 1889. What I have heard is that Osmar was her 1st husband's last name.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

All we know about the brother Oscar is that shortly after she married Oscar Nelson, her brother Oscar went west to California. They corresponded a few times, the last time being in the 20s, and then no one ever heard from him again. Family stories (which are often full of errors) say that her first husband died in a railroad accident in Norway, possibly with a brother of hers or his, not sure which. Another story is that her brother Oscar died in a railroad accident in California. Yet another story is that he disappeared after one of the big earthquakes in California and was presumed dead. I believe Thea's death certificate says that her father was named something like Matt Mathiason, but the handwriting was difficult to read. I don't believe her mother's name was listed. I think her brother went by the name of Oscar Mattson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

As far as the son Nils Malfred... He was definately named Nils Malfred. I have his death certificate from the courthouse in MN, but his name is listed as Nils Malfried, even though it is indicated that he was a boy. Olga had with her 2nd husband another son named 'Nels' Malfred in 1891 after the 1st 'Nils' Malfred died in 1887. I don't know about in Norway, but it was VERY common to name children after deceased siblings in the US at that time.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Yes it was common. One of my swedish ancestors had 5 boys called Lars,and they were all named after theire dead brotherDo you know which surname Nils Malfred and Olga used when they came to the US?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Thea could be a shortcut for Mathea (after her father!!)or Dorothea since she's so hard to find ...........What about her other children, what did she name them?----------This is one Oskar with a father named Mathias Mathisen, but no sister.Lenke------------

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

Thea's 2 children by her 1st husband used the 2nd husband's surname (Nelson/Nilsen - depending on the source) and both listed her 2nd husband as the father in all documents that I have seen (marriage, death, obituaries). Thea and her 2nd husband (Oscar Nelson) had the following children together: Oskar Arthur, Anne Ovidia, Nels Malfred (the 2nd), Alma Therese, Ollie Helga, unnamed baby boy (died at birth), Arthur Nikolai, and Nils Oskar.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi Melissa! I think we have to start in US.Where did Thea and her family live in 1900? Have you seen the census? This will tell you lots of things, one of those great things: immigration year.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Well. I found her. Because I found an earlier query from you, stating they lived in Marshall Co.Also, did you get any information on the Eidsvoll-line from Trond?---------In 1930 Thea was living in Fork, Marshall Co. and it says she immigrated in 1886. She lived with her son Nels O. 30 yrs old, born in Minnesota.Also,'next door', Arthur N. and his wife Lillian with their children. Arthur born in Minnesota.----------According to the 1900-census she also immigrated in 1886, and here her birth-year and month is given as May 1862. http://lailas.net/lookup/theanelson.gifOlga was born april 1883. Thea had given birth to 10 children!! only 6 were alive in 1900.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

NELSON, ARTHURCertID# 1991-MN-021293Date of Birth: 02/10/1898Place of Birth:Mother Maiden Name: MATHISON MINNESOTADate of Death:08/05/1991County of Death: MARSHALLThis 'confirm' Theas maiden name. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And also this: NELSON, NELSCertID# 1971-MN-029131Date of Birth: 11/12/1899Place of Birth:Mother Maiden Name: MATHIASON MINNESOTADate of Death: 11/04/1971County of Death: MARSHALLLaila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

Her death record says she was born in 1856, but the census record date of 1862 is certainly possible. I believe I've seen a third date floating around too, perhaps in her obit. It all depends on who answered the question, whether they actually remembered, and whether they actually wanted to tell the truth. The Arthur N. in the 1930 census mentioned earlier is also a son of hers. He was my gr-grandfather. As for starting in the US... I've exhausted virtually every resource I can imagine, with the exception of a social security application, if it exists. She's not in the ssdi, which only means no one claimed any money upon her death. Her father-in-law had a will, but since he died in 1940, I can't see it due to privacy laws in MN. So far as I can tell, she was never naturalized. I can't find her in any index. I don't believe her daughter Olga (married name Knutson) was ever naturalized either. I have information for Thea from the following resources: all MN and Federal census records, church records where she is listed as mother for several baptisms, her death record, and 2 or 3 obituaries. I'm going to try to see if Thea's and Olga's ss#s are in voter registration records, and if so then I can send for their ss applications. If not, I can pay extra for them to search for them without a ss number, but that's generally not the best way to request it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

One other source of information I have for Thea is the marriage license from her marriage to her 2nd husband - Oscar Nelson (my gr-gr-grandfather). There is a marriage license dated 1889 which I found at the Marshall county courthouse, but no record of the actual marriage itself has been found.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 år senere...
Gjest Melissa Hvidsten

I did find an Alien Registration from her where she states the port and date of arrival in the US. I looked on that film and could not find her, so it's possible that the date is off. I get to go to Salt Lake City next month, so maybe I can look at more passenger lists....Note that she claimed allegiance to Norway :)Alien Registration and Declaration of Holdings (MN Historical Society - St. Paul, MN) Town of Fork. Marshall County 1. Full name of Alien Registrant: Thea Nelson 2. Street Address, Postoffice, or R.F.D. Route: Argyle, Route 4 3. Village, City or Town: Town of Fork 4. Length of Residence at the foregoing place: 32 years 5. Give Age Last Birthday: 61 years 6. To what country do you claim allegiance?: Norway 7. Where Born: Norway 8. Date of Birth: May the 12th, 1856 9. Port of entry to the United States: Philadelphia 10. Date of Arrival in United States: Jun 18, 1886 11. Married?: yes 12. Is wife living?: 13. Residence of wife, if living: 14. Do you speak and write English?: XXXXXX Speaks a little. 15. Have you a trade or profession, and what?: Housekeeper 16. In exactly what line of work are you at present engaged?: 17. Give names and ages of all living children, and state which are attending public schools: Olaga, Annie, Alma, Olive, Arthur, and Nels. None attending public school. 18. Have any of your male relatives taken part in present war either for or against the United States and it's allies?: If answer yes, give name, relationship, and state which country served? No 19. Did you register under selective draft, and if so, where? No 20. What is your serial number? 21. Did you claim exemption for military service and why? 22. Have you ever taken out first papers of naturalization in the United States? If so, state where and date: No 23. If you have taken out first papers of naturalization why have you not taken out second papers? 24. If you have never taken out first papers of naturalization, why have you not done so? 25. Do you own or have interest in any farm lands in any County of Minnesota? If so give legal description, approximate value of your equity, and state whether you are resident thereon: One fourthy. Value $2000.00. 26. When did you acquire interest in above described lands?: About 18 years ago. 27. Do you own or have interest in any city lots of other real estate in State of Minnesota? If so give legal description and approximate value of your equity therein: No. 28. When did you acquire your interest in above described property? 29. Do you own or have equity in any farm or city property outside of State of Minnesota? If so give legal description and approximate value of such equity: No. 30. Do you own any stocks, bonds, or other securities? If so give name of corporation and amount owned: 31. Is any person holding in trust for you any Minnesota farm or city property? If so give name of person, description, value of such property, and how long held in trust: No. 32. Give legal description of all real and personal property held by minors for which you may be guardian, stating when property acquired and relationship of minor?: No. 33. Do you own any personal property such as cattle, sheep, horses, autos, farm machinery, etc.? If so, what, and approximate value?: Value about $1800.00. 34. Have you sold or transferred any property since the United States declared the existance of a state of war with Germany? If so, give description and to whom sold or transferred? 35. Have you a safe deposit vault, and if so, where is it located? Miscellaneous remarks: Date: March 22, 1918.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.