Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#13336] Amerika, Washington, Island County, 1920: John D. Hilstad

Gjest Inger Bjørnaas
 Del

Gjest Inger Bjørnaas

HeiI mitt innlegg 12860 etterlyste jeg Johan O. Hilstad i Idaho og fikk tips om en ved dette navn i Montana, Missoula county. Fikk hjelp av en amerikansk dame til å sjekke folketellingen i 1920 for Missoula, men hun fant ham ikke der. Hun fant imidlertid en i Staten Washington, Island County, Comano Precinct, som skrev seg for John D. Hilstad, 40 år, og utvandret fra Norge i 1897. Kan dette være den samme person ? Jeg har ikke klart å finne ham i utvandrerlistene. Har jeg lett for dårlig ?Beste hilsen Inger

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

I looked at that census record for Washington and 1897 is the year when that John Hilstad became a US citizen. It is hard to read his year of emigration but I think it is 1891 or 1881. He is a laborer in a logging camp.It does look like 'John D. Hilstad' but it is possible that the middle initial is wrong.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

I live in Island County, Washington and my daughter lives on Camano Island in Island County that you are asking about here. I don't read Norwegian to know what you are seeking, but if I can, I'd love to repay some of the kind people who have (and I trust will continue) to help me with questions on my ancestors in Norway by being of any help that I can to you.Camano Island is a relatively large island in Puget Sound north of Seattle which is heavily forested and still largely rural and undeveloped, although there are more and more houses being built there all the time. Camano Island is connected to the mainland by a bridge over a small river or slough, so that it is almost a penninsula instead of an island. Right across the bridge is the city of Stanwood which historically has had a large Scandinavian (mostly Norwegian) population. The whole area, really, was settled by Norwegian immigrants, farmers, fishermen, loggers, and remains proud of that heritage today.Do you know if Johan (John) Hilstad has any relatives in the area today? or is that what you are seeking? Let me know if I can be of help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Bjørnaas

HelloThank you very much, both of you. I think that John Hilstad in Washington might be the one who emigrated in 1892 (May 25th), 21 years old. But then his age, 40, does not fit. Then he should have been 49 years old.The one I am actually searching, is Johan Olsen Hilstad, born 1881 in Meldal, Sør-Trøndelag. He left May 29th. 1907 for Wallace, Idaha. In 1910 a John Hilstad is found in Missoula county, Hillgate twp (Missoula city). He is 28 years old, born in Norway, immigrated in 1907, carpenter, odd jobs. (Montane, Missoula, Roll 834 Book 2, Page 139 a). I think this must be the same person even if his name is written John and not Johan. One of my helpers checked the census in Missoula in 1920, but could not find him there. What happened to him ? it possible to find anythin about him somewhere in USA ?I eally would appreciate any suggestions or information.Many thanks for your help so far.Best regards Inger

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I, too, think that the John Hilstad in Washington state probably isn't the one you are looking for. I think it is very possible that Hilstad is badly misspelled in the 1920 census and that may be why we are having trouble finding him.I will try looking under less obvious ways, such as Milstad, or Hillstad, and see if any possibilites turn up.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Bjørnaas

Thank you very much, Kathy, I really appreciate your help. I have no opportunity myself, to check the censuses.Best regards Inger

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In the Ancestry.com index, I searched the 1920 Census for Montana for all persons born in Norway with the first name John who were 38 (28 men), 39 (10 men), or 40 (12 men) years old. I found one Norwegian bachelor farmer who looked like a good possibility so I checked the original census record.He was John Bilstad, 38, emigrated 1906, naturalized 1916, owner of a stock farm. (Probably cattle or sheep). Single, with 2 non-norsk hired hands. Montana, Phillips County, School District 12, ED 159, page 8 A, microfilm number T625-977.However, there were 29 other people with the last name of Bilstad in that index. 10 of them were born in Norway, 4 of those lived in Montana. Therefore, while “John Bilstad” may be a possibility, I think he probably isn’t your John Hilstad.This John Bilstad did not show up in the index for the 1930 census.Missoula is very close to the western border of Montana. Perhaps John Hilstad moved west to Washington, Oregon, or (less likely) Idaho, or moved north into Canada? I’ll try searching those other western states, but if he moved to Canada, someone with background in Canadian research will have to give some suggestions.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Unfortunately, the news is bad. I searched the Ancestry.com 1920 index for those named John born in Norway who were 38, 39, or 40 years old in the states of Idaho, Washington, and Oregon. I also searched the territory of Alaska. I did not find any possibilities for a misspelling of Hilstad that could be him.You could try putting a query on the Missoula County query board through Rootsweb.com since that is the last known location you have for him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Bjørnaas

Thank you very much for all you have done for me. I really appreciate it. I have already (Feb. 17th)put a message on a message board at Rootsweb(Montana, Missoula), and I was informed about John D. Hilstad in Washington. I have not got any more since, but maybe I will later. At least I know a lot more after your reasearch, and I hope I will find something about him someday. Thanks again for all you effort.Best regards Inger

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.