Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#13791] finding a birth record

Gjest Jennifer Richardson
 Del

I have the names of peopole that I need to findtheir records. If I need the birth record, what is the Norwegian word to look under? I don'tknow Norwegian.The person is Anne Arnesdotter, born 20.11.1847. She was baptised 28.11.1847 inHafslo, Sogn og Fjordane. Her parents are ArneHansen + Kari Pedersdotter, married 21.4.1870.Can someone take me through the steps of finding her birth record so that I would know how to doit myself. Thank you. Jennifer

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

If you've found that information on familysearch.org (as I suspect) and the source of the information is listed as church records (which it is), then you have found their records. Those transcriptions are fairly trustworthy.Or you can come to Norway and view the original -- welcome!--Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

You should not be dependant on knowing too much Norwegian when using the databases at Digitalarkivet. Just start with the English page here: LenkeIf you are interested in church book records, just click on that and you will find the categories of records in English. The database records which show up when you are searching, will of course be in Norwegian, but most of th details will easily be understood. A little knowledge of Norwegian geography may be helpful, but there are several map servers on the net.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

If Norwegian is giving you problems and you would like more help than the word lists available on the net, there is a soft-cover book that is very helpful. It is 'Norwegian Research Guide' by Linda M. Herrick and Wendy K. Uncapher. Many of the genealogical booksellers sell it. And I believe it is available from the Vesterheim Genealogical Center in Madison.One especially nice feature is the column translations it gives for census records and church books. It does make decipering the records much easier. Of course, like the rest of us, you'll be on your own with any difficult handwriting you might find!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I tried the link to begin. I went to churchregisters. Then I picked marriage licenses. Itsaid 1717-1804. The marriage I want to look up is in the mid 1800's. Where do I go now? Jennifer

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.