Arkivverket
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kristin Lunde Gibbons

[#14165] Family name Eek ( from Vestfold/Ostfold), what does it mean?

Guest Kristin Lunde Gibbons

My great-grandfather Johan Larsen, son of Kristen Larsen and Karn(?) was born at Borre (Horten), Vestfold, in 1844. The family moved to Fredrikshalden, now Halden, Ostfold, by 1858. Johan assumed the last name of Eek by 1890. My grandmother, his daughter, told us he chose the name because it meant woods or trees, but I don't find the word to have any meaning in Norwegian. The name has many spellings in archival records, but the family always spelled it Eek. Can anyone give me additional information?

Guest Astrid Ryen

Eik or E(e)k is a farm name in Borre. You are right in assuming that it is derived from the name of a tree, because EIK means OAK.As a family name there are various spellings in the censuses, like Ek, Eek, Eeg.

Guest Jarl Berge

Eek - Ek - Eeg - Eg -A common farm name in Norway and means 'oak', generally a place where there are many oak trees.

Guest Jarl Berge

Eek - Ek - Eeg - Eg - EigA common farm name in Norway and means 'oak', generally a place where there are many oak trees.

Guest Terje Rehn Holm-Johnsen

I guess you gggrandmother's name is Karen or Kari...Terje

Sign in to follow this