Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#16245] Jans Hans OLSEN from Hedrum

Gjest Jeff Erickson
 Del

Gjest Hans Mathisen

I think it is quite likely that Ole Engelbretsen is the son of Ingebret Gundersen and Marte Andersdatter, living on the Nordre Styrvold farm in Styrvold sub-parish in Lardal around the middle of the eighteenth century, as you yourself indicate above (24). At least I have not been able to find another Ingebret/Engebret/Engelbret/Ingebrigt etc. with a son called Ole living in Styrvold, Lardal, around the actual time.Ingebret was the son of Gunder Christophersen Nordre Hvaal and Marte was the daughter of Anders Tollefsen Bårnes and his wife Ulvhild Olsdatter, living on the farm Søndre Styrvold from 1709 or earlier. Lardal Bygdebok suggests that Anders probably was born on Bjørkeset farm in Lyngdal.On Nordre Hvaal, which is a farm in Svarstad, the main parish in Lardal, Gunder Christophersen lives from 1698 until 1718. He was born ca 1657 or ca 1661, son of Christopher Hansen Øvre Kalleberg, born ca 1628, and his wife Kirsten Gunnarsdatter, born ca 1624. Gunder's wife was Anne Nilsdatter, born ca 1674 on Nordre Hvaal, daughter of Nils Olsen Nordre Hvaal, born ca 1652, wife unknown. Nils Olsen was the son of Oluf, who farmed on Nordre Hvaal from 1657 to 1662, and his wife Guri Nilsdatter.(This was written down in a hurry, so please forgive me for possible errors! I have both the Bygdebok and Church Book for both Lardal and Hedrum, so may be I can help you in your further search?)Best wishes from Hans Mathisen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Hans,Thank you Is there somrwhere on the internet whee I cab get a map showing the farm names or even a book I can buy.Do you know if any of these farms still exist.Do you know the other name of Oluf on the farm 1657 -1662

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Hei Jeff!I think you drive very fast, respecting dates to your ancestors.Tjølling church register.start 1670 and is very thin in the beginning. You will not find death-day; the date will in all likelihood be interment. - Birthday; will be the day of baptism. - Perform of a marriage will in main point be the wedding day and with only name on the bridegroom’s best man and not parents.I can not find Jacob’s dead in the church register, but it’s administration of a deceased person's estate; in 1692, so he have be to dead before that. The Bygdebook tell us: He was from Klåstad Nedre and possibly - son of Nils Olssøn, d. 1674 - 100 ¼ year. Jacob was user here, of one part in the 1660‘s, after a possible brother, Hans, d. 1660.He was also user of a part of Vannøya before he farmet and was owner of a part of Hem østre. He was juryman and married to Jøran Nilsdatter, perhaps a daughter of Nils Hem, user here, d. ca. 1661.Jacob’s son Halvor Jakobson, d. 1725, 71 year, was next user, 1692-1725, married to widow Ellen Sørensdatter. Halvor was also juryman. [url="http://www.vestfold-slekt.net/cgi-bin/db.cgi?db=0725Viede1&view_detail=1&ID=152>Lenke Jacob’s son , Oluf Jakobsen, d. 1717, 70 year, Owner and user of Sandnes Mellom 1686-1717, married to Eli Jacobsd., d. 1724, 68, ? year. Oluf was also juryman. LenkeIf you with a stroke of good luck would come over Tjølling Bygdebok, ( two volume of in all 1412 pages including person register). I am convinced , you will have work for many years.Do you have Paint Shop Pro on your computer? Or a program there can read, psp and jpg file format.You need a map in 1: 50 000 (Sandefjord Blad 1813 111.) the map show, Sandar (Sandefjord), Tjølling, Larvik and a part of Hedrum.Microfilm register. LenkeMicrofilm, ( purchase )

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Kjell,Thank you again. I have spent all day filing the printouts from the links into odder and updating my ancestor computer file. It is a little confusing when they all had similar names.Yes I can read psp and jpg files on my computerDoes Olssøn, d. 1674 - 100 ¼ year mean he died when he was 99 and 9 months old?'user of a part of Vannøya' What is Vannøya? Does use mean he farmed it but did not own it?I am having more success in Norway than Sweden. The email I sent to the address in Sweden came back unanswered.I am not going so fast in searching in England or in Australia, or Scotland or Germany. My ancestors are from everywhere. I am back to a marriage in Tasmania in 1848 and have a copy from a microfilm of the marriage register.I cannot understand the link about purchasing. I will need to look the words up in the dictionary. I have found a Norwegian English dictionary on-line.Is Hem very far from Eftang?I have found Anders Simonsen in Hof in the 1801 census with a young family although his name is Andreas Simonsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans Mathisen

A map showing farms (at least most of them) in Hedrum, Sandar, Tjølling and Lardal etc. is almost certainly available somewhere om the Internet, but I am afraid I can't help you there.Let us hope someone else can.The farms that have been mentioned in this discussion exist today.Oluf's patronym is unknown. (Observe that Oluf is an old form of Ole or Ola).Hans

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Hei Jeff! - We have the same problem; I have never been teaching in English. I have not any expensive university degree, only primary school for 50 years ago and some years on the seven seas. In Australia I have only been in Perth and Fremantle, and a place in Northeren Territory at the Strait of Torres.Respecting computer files. I have som files as I suppose; will be of internest. Maps, pictures and pages from Tjølling. Before I start to burn a - CD- R,- I have to ask for your postaddress.100 ¼ means 100 year and 3 months.Vannøya was a piece of land and used as grazing land, and he did not own it.The email address in Sweden was from the Swedish chuch’s nettplace. Today the address was not there.Hem is not so far from Eftang, (6 - 7 kilometers)Kjell.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Kjell,My work takes me all over Australia but i never been away from Australia I am slowly picking up the Norwegian words I am seeing here. My grandfather Christian Anton Eriksen ,son of Anders was a seaman from Larvik, He came to Australia about 1914 in Queensland and worked on coastal ships around Australia until 1923. Then he worked on the wharves all of his life. except for 2 years when he was building the railway line across Australia east to west about 1916-1917His wife's father came from Vestervik Sweden to Adelaide in 1878. He too was a seaman. Your English is very good - much much better than my Norwegian.My post address is P.O. Box 253 Port Adelaide South Australia 5013. How can I pay you for the CD and postageif they 'used the land' did they pay the owner. Did they own and breed the animals or just tend to them?I am sorry I have so many questions. My great great grandfather on my mothers side from Kent in England was a farm labourer when he migrated to Adelaide in 1873 and another great great grandfather on my mothers side was a shepherd in Tasmania Australia from 1850.He was born in 1833

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

I have found some more. Nils Olsson married in Tjolling in about 1626 and son Jacob was born about 1627 and his brother Hans about 1630. He married Joran about 1651 and Ola (Olaf) was born at Sandness Mellom.Do the church records exist for this time?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Hei Jeff!You are related to a real international family.Vannøya is a little island and Jajob Nilssøn was owner of a part 1678-1686. Residents of the island work on sailing-ship in springtime with rigging and clear ships for sailing. Outside the island there was a place of storage. I will suppose they used the land for grazing of farm animals.during the summer. (No possibility to run away.)The debate forums in the Digital Archive is a business free zone and all is free!!!Owners of land in Norway 1500 - 1800 is complicated. to explain. The major part of land was own of the Danish-Norwegian.King and his helpers, religious community, aristocratic privileges (nobleman's estate), vassals (sheriffs) (bailiffs.), freeholder farmers and their cotters. All pay tax and rent in different level. For more information., you have to read Norwegian history.It’s no chance to establish exact date for Jacob Nilssøn and his son’s. The church register start 1670 and is not useful before that.The CD will be send this week when I am finished to check the files.Kjell.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Hi KjellThank you again So much information in a couple of weeks. I have found a larvik map on the internet. It shows me Tjolling, Hem , Borre, Hof and some other places but not Eftang.I am going way to work on the east coast of Australia for a few days and will not have access here. I will use the spare time to document what I have discovered so far and organise the papers.Yes may family is from everywhere. Another great grandfather was from Vestervik in Sweden and his wife from Germany. Some also from Scotland. But I cant find any of them. I have found that the house where my great grand granfather lived in Kent in England still exists. Maybe I should visit Norway and KentWhen I have put the papers together I am sure I will have more questions although I am learning to drive the digitalarkive . It is hard not knowing where places are. I am searching for a map.Jeff

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

I still have a gap with Jans Hans OLsen (1) who married Marthe Kristine Larsdr . I think the date was 28 Mar 1810 but I cant find a marriage record to confirm his father

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

i now have several maps showing me the area around tjolling. One map i got from area that time here on digitalarkivet.It helps me understand where the people came from

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

I have now found another birth date for Jan Hans Olsen born 28th October 1778 from Nordkvelle M. (not 24 Mar 1785 from Klavenes) and Martha Kristine Lardsdatter born 09 Jan 1787.Do these dates now match the entry in the bygdebokI have found the children all born at Stensholt Hedrum1. Lars 12 May 1811 2. Maren 01 May 1814 3. Ole 19 May 1816 4. Carl 21 Jul 1818 5. Borre Waal 21 Aug 1820 6. John 01 Oct 1822 7. Marie 03 Apr 1825 8. Inger Marie 02 Oct 1828 9. Gunhild Marie 06 feb 1832Are these dates able to be verified?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Jeff!The children born at Stensholt Hedrum:1. Lars, 12 May 1811 (baptism).2. Maren 01 May 1814 (baptism).3. Ole (baptism) 19 May 1816 (born april 11.).4. Carl (baptism) 21 Jul 1818 (born june 21 ? ).5. Borre Waal ( born ) 21 Aug 1820.6. John (Jon) ( born) 01 Oct 1822, m. Else Marie Hansd. Gjone.7. Marie (born) 03 Apr 1825 - and twin ?- Henrik, m. Edel Marie Gulliksd. Gjone N.8. Inger Marie (born) 02 Oct 1828, m. Olaus Anderson, Østre Halsen Tjølling.9. Gunhild Marie (born) 06 feb 1832All dates is from Hedrum Church Register and Hedrum Bygdebok.Kjell.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Kjell, Thank you again. I am working my way slowly through this information. In (11) Jorgen Borresen married Anne Olea Andersd. on 8/2/1883 - ID2611. His father is shown correctly as Borre Hansen. In the link for his second marriage in 1891 02/10/1891 to Inger Elise Larsd. his father is shown as Borre Andersen. Is this the same person? or is it the wrong link?Also I found some information that Borre Waal Hansen bought 'Koiglova' br 3 in 1863 from Ole Larsen and Antoni Johansen. Is this correct?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Paul Thode

If you think you are able to use the 'bygdebok' from Hedrum, it is possible to obtain it through your local library. In Norway this service is free. I do not know about Australia. In Norway this is called 'remote borrowing'. I have borrowed books from all over Europe, and it is no problem. It only takes some time. Your local library should know how to do it. You do not have to come to Norway to read it. Paul

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Hei Jeff!In the link for his second marriage in 1891 02/10/1891 to Inger Elise Larsd. his father is shown as Borre (Andersen) It’s a typing error, and shall be Børre Hansen.Inger Elise and parents was from Eikevall, Brunlanes, and moved later to Sandnes S. in Tjølling, where Lars Andersen was owner and user of br. 1 1854-1856. He was death at a drive accident in 1856. Widow, Inger Maria Jacobsd. was owner and user, 1856-1862. The family can follows backwards in Brunlanes Bygdebok.Also I found some information that Borre Waal Hansen bought 'Koiglova' br 3 in 1863 from Ole Larsen and Antoni Johansen. Is this correct? Yes.!!!Kjell.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Why were Jans Hans Olsen's children called Hansen and not Jansen? Everywhere else the sen or dat seem to follow the fathers first name. Also the Jans has a dot after it (Jans.) in some records. Does this mean it is short for something else.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Does the Tjølling Bygdebok have a library ISBN number? If it does the local state library will try to get a loan copy from overses for me to look at for a little while. Is there an ISBN number for the Hedrum and Sande bygdeboks too?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

*Hedrum bygdebok / Jan W. Krohn-Holm ; utgitt av Hedrum kommune. - [Nanset] : Kommunen, 1978. - b. : ill.Vol. 1: Kulturhistorie. 1982. - 677 s., 1 fold. kart i lomme. ISBN 82- 990513-2-0Vol. 2: Gårder og slekter i Hedrum sogn (Hedrum parish). 1978. - 605 s. : ill. ISBN 82-990513-0-4Vol. 3: Gårder og slekter i Kvelde og Hvarnes sogn (Kvelde and Hvarnes parishes). 1979. - S.[615]-1084,[57]bl. : ill. ISBN 82-990513-1-2

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Hei Jeff.Jans - as you have written have to be a wrong spell of name. Jan is one of two given firstname and was not in ordinary use. At enter in the church register in opportuncity to his children’s birth, is only Hans Olsen written. I have not seen a dot after Jan.-Change of name, is a difficulty in family inquiry, and can do many mistakes around relationship, (surname- family name) were in upheaval. after ca.1850 and take a new form in for example, the ending datter is out and a married woman and children will use eks. Hansen as surname, exact as the husband.The letter was send from here at the post office for eight days ago.Bygdebøker: http://www.vestfold-slekt.net/bygdebok.htmlMed hilsen Kjell.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Hi KjellYour letter came today. So much information. It will keep me busy for months - years. I understand what you say in the letter. I am having some trouble with the CD. My computer is like me it does not understand Norwegian. It does not like the files with the ø . I have changed the Windows regional settings to Norwegian and it is now OK Thank you for all of the information. I can now see where the farms are. You are very lucky to have kept your history. There is nothing like this in Australia. All census records from 1901 until now have been destroyed. There is no central place for archives before 1901 It is winter here so I will spend the weekend (and more time) going through the information you sent. I am beginning to understand some Norwegian and some abbreviations used in the records.Does fl mean emmigrated? f. born d. died m. married.I have found Henry Thompsons death in 1939 here in Adelaide. I will look at the records next week. Hopefully they will tell me where he was born. Best Wishes Jeff

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Håkestad

Hei Jeff! The abbreviasjon fl. means moved-removed, -f. is born, -d. is death, - g. is married, ( g. m. is married to) - l. is be avlive, Hed. Is Hedrum, Br.nes is Brunlanes.N. is north, S. is south, V. is west, Ø. is east, Øv.(øvre) is upper, Ned. (nedre) is lower, Mell. (mellom) is middle, ug. is unmarried, single, -More Norsk- English: [url="http://www.mtf.ntnu.no/people/ivarse/slektord.html>http://www.mtf.ntnu.no/people/ivarse/slektord.htmlNorsk - English:

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Hei KjellThe dictionary will help meIs the Steinsvoll shown east of Bergan on the Hedrum map the same place as Steinholt in (39)Jeff

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

Steinsholt and Steinsvoll are different farms. Steinsholt is in the southwestern part of Hedrum, between the river Lågen and the lake Farris. If you have Bergan on your map, go west across Lågen, find Lunde, then further westwards and perhaps a bit southwards.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.