Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#27245] Who was James Buren, Chicago 1880

Gjest Egil H Thomassen
 Del

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

The 1880 US census tells that James Buren, sailor, born in Norway 1824 (probably 1844 according to the Vesterheim census) lived in Cook County, Ill. together with wife Nettie and two children. James Buren died a few years later of pnuemonia, and his widow re-married as Nettie Bjorn.Hence his Norwegian family name was Bjorn. But what was his first name?I have searched the ship register for Christiania and found a possibility: Asbjorn Bjorn departed June 1872 for Chicago. However, was Asbjorn Bjorn the same man as James Buren?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

The Vesterheim 'Norwegians living in Illinois according to 1880 Census' spelled the name Baren, while LDS spelled Buren. The latter seems most likeely, when you pronounce Buren it sounds like Bjorn.The widow re-married in Cook 22 Nov 1882, hence he must have died between 1880 and 1882.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hi--which are you interested in? They are not the same person. At FS the last name is given as Asbjorn(!), you can see him and 3 kids and wife Pauline(1880 census). I have the birth record of the son Hans and the death cert for James--as Jens. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

The other one with wife Nettie (Netta) and daughters Minnie and Agnes, is the man I am looking for.Asbjorn must be a first name. (Old Norwegian Viking name).Could then Jens be the right one? What did his obit tell?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Just a quick entry now..i am at the library...age 59, Jens Christian Bjorn, sailor, married, Norway, in Ill 17 years, at 85 W Erie, had lung problem for 3 weeks, at Lutheran cemetery, d Jan 25, 1882. This is from the d/c, not an obit. A son, Henrix, died 5-26-1882, at age 1 year 11 months, same address, no cemetery shown! I do not know that cemetery, perhaps it will turn up on the web search... Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Thank you Roger. I appreciate your search and I am sure you have found the right man. I know from the 1900 census of N.Dakota that his wife lost two children, and the mentioned Henrik must be one of them.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

May be this is the man? FS VRI: Jens Christian Bjørn b. 11/9 and bapt. 21/10 1823 Vor Frue krk. Trondheim. Foreldre Andreas Bjørn and Ane Christine Bjørn.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

The age seems to be correct. However, to have it confirmed, I need information about where James Baren came from in Norway. Probably not given for a sailor.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

What do you think about his 1870 census entry as James Bueren, 47, seems to be living with a wife and children; i'll see if i can figure out the cemetery--might be Wunders. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

The kids of James Buren/Jens Christian Bjorn and Nettie Thompson were born in 1875 and 1877, hence they are not on the 1870 census. He probably married Nettie around 1874-75. Seems to be more James Buren around in Chicago those days.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Egil H Thomassen

Roger, at the end of this debate I would like to thank you, on behalf of myself and a relative in Texas, for your identification of her great grandfather.Also a thank to Berit for her input.Kind regards, Egil

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.