Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Biørn Nielsen Austbø

Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I wonder if someone can help me understand the varying names I see associated with my 4th g-grandfather, Biørn Nielsen Austbø. He married Birthe Eriksdtr Lunde in 1788. They had three children, all born at Lunde in Hetland (Frue) -- Bertha Guria (1788), Niels (1791) and Bendix Johan (1797).

Here is his baptism in 1756 Rennesøy, where he is known as Biørn Nielsen Østbøe; Min lenke

In the 1801 census for Stavanger, he is Biørn Øspe.

Here is his burial record (#25) and Berte's (#27) in 1811. Here he is Biørn Nielsen Østbøe: Min lenke

And another variation: when his son Niels died, he was called Niels Biørnsen Østbe. See #56: Min lenke

I understand that Østbøe is an earlier version of Austbø. So, are Øspe and Østbe simply intended to be Østbøe, or is there some other reason for these names?

Hilsen

Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...

Hi Patricia,

You are probably right in your assumpsjons. Austbø is a typical farmname (it means "the field to the east") And Østbø etc. are all variations over the same. Before ca. 1920 surnames in Norway was patronyms. Biørn Nielsen Østbøe is therefore to be understood as "Bjørn, son of Niels, who lives at the Østbøe farm."

Tor, Sola

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider