Jump to content
Arkivverket
David Arvidson

Emigrants

Recommended Posts

David Arvidson

I am trying to gather information on cousins who emigrated at different times.

 

In the past, you provided information about Asloug Nilsdatter.

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/3/100095?fornavn=&etternavn=Grager*&kjonn=&bosted=Botne*&fodestad=&fodselsdato=&fodselsaar=&alder=&stilling_stand=&familiestilling=&utreisedato=&reisemal=&ankomstdato=&linje=&skip=&agent=&pass=&nytt_yrke=&aarsak=&utreisehavn=&ekspdato=&kontraktdato=&herred=&fogderi=&prgjeld=

 

I am trying to find some more information about Torstein Gunleksen #11 on following page

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061108340613

 

and Aslaug Bratterud # 50 on following page

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061108340616

 

and Aslaug's brothers Osten and Lars Ostensen Bratterud who seem to have left Kristiana in 1901-04-26.  Sorry, I could not figure out how to post a link to the direct page.

 

pe00000000524423  and pe00000000524422

 

The information seems to indicate that both Torstein (Tosten) Gunleksen and Aslaug Bratterud planned to emmigrate to America.  However, I cannot find them in the same directory that has information about Lars and Osten.  

 

Is it likely that Torstein and Aslaug left from some port other than Oslo?  If so, what is the best way to search for that information?  Is it possible that they went to Oslo and never left?

 

The information for Lars and Osten indicate that they sailed on the Angelo.  I found a site that showed that the Angelo had a planned route between Oslo and Hull, England.  Do you have any ideas about where they would have gone to take a ship from England to America?

 

Do you have any suggestions about where the emigrants' ships would have landed in North America?  Any ideas on how Aslaug, and any of the others, might have gotten from Quebec to the United States?  For example, did Norwegians often sail to Quebec and then sail to New York?

 

I often have very good luck finding relatives' information in U.S. Census data.  However, I cannot find these people.  It probably does not help that they emigrated between 1880 and 1890 and the 1890 census records were lost.  Also, I wonder if any of them might have changed their names in the United States.

 

Please let me know whether I should be using a different forum to ask these questions.

 

Thank you for your help.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ann-Mary Engum
4 timer siden, David Arvidson skrev:

I am trying to gather information on cousins who emigrated at different times.

 

In the past, you provided information about Asloug Nilsdatter.

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/3/100095?fornavn=&etternavn=Grager*&kjonn=&bosted=Botne*&fodestad=&fodselsdato=&fodselsaar=&alder=&stilling_stand=&familiestilling=&utreisedato=&reisemal=&ankomstdato=&linje=&skip=&agent=&pass=&nytt_yrke=&aarsak=&utreisehavn=&ekspdato=&kontraktdato=&herred=&fogderi=&prgjeld=

 

I am trying to find some more information about Torstein Gunleksen #11 on following page

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061108340613

 

and Aslaug Bratterud # 50 on following page

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061108340616

 

and Aslaug's brothers Osten and Lars Ostensen Bratterud who seem to have left Kristiana in 1901-04-26.  Sorry, I could not figure out how to post a link to the direct page.

 

pe00000000524423  and pe00000000524422

 

The information seems to indicate that both Torstein (Tosten) Gunleksen and Aslaug Bratterud planned to emmigrate to America.  However, I cannot find them in the same directory that has information about Lars and Osten.  

 

Is it likely that Torstein and Aslaug left from some port other than Oslo?  If so, what is the best way to search for that information?  Is it possible that they went to Oslo and never left?

 

The information for Lars and Osten indicate that they sailed on the Angelo.  I found a site that showed that the Angelo had a planned route between Oslo and Hull, England.  Do you have any ideas about where they would have gone to take a ship from England to America?

 

Do you have any suggestions about where the emigrants' ships would have landed in North America?  Any ideas on how Aslaug, and any of the others, might have gotten from Quebec to the United States?  For example, did Norwegians often sail to Quebec and then sail to New York?

 

I often have very good luck finding relatives' information in U.S. Census data.  However, I cannot find these people.  It probably does not help that they emigrated between 1880 and 1890 and the 1890 census records were lost.  Also, I wonder if any of them might have changed their names in the United States.

 

Please let me know whether I should be using a different forum to ask these questions.

 

Thank you for your help.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 
 

Emigration: 1882 

Person: Aslaug Østens

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000977987
   
Given name:
Aslaug
Last name:
Østens.
Gender:
k
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
21
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Thelemarken
Position:
P
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1882-11-24
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
1882-11-23
Port of departure:
-
Destination:
Leland
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
Angelo
Line:
-
Agent:
M. A. Lea
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
-
Protocol reference:
9
Page:
292
Year:
1882
Parish:
-
Remarks:
-

Source information:

Emigrants from Kristiania 1871-1930, edited version

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1871
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1882 

Page:
292
Serial number:
-
Protocol reference:
9
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000977987

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43617/295

Edited by Ann-Mary Engum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ann-Mary Engum

 

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 
 

Emigration: 1901 1912 

Person: Lars Østensen Bratterud

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000524423
   
Given name:
Lars
Last name:
Østensen Bratterud
Gender:
m
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
28
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Hovind, Telem.
Position:
u Arb.
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1901-04-26
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
-
Port of departure:
Oslo
Destination:
Manitoba
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
-
Line:
Angelo
Agent:
-
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
1912
Protocol reference:
-
Page:
-
Year:
1901
Parish:
-
Remarks:
4917

Source information:

Emigrants from Oslo 1867-1930

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1867
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1901 1912 

Page:
-
Serial number:
1912
Protocol reference:
-
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000524423

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43627/448

 

----

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 
 

Emigration: 1901 1911 

Person: Østen Østensen Bratterud

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000524422
   
Given name:
Østen
Last name:
Østensen Bratterud
Gender:
m
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
26
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Hovind, Telem.
Position:
u Arb.
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1901-04-26
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
-
Port of departure:
Oslo
Destination:
Manitoba
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
-
Line:
Angelo
Agent:
-
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
1911
Protocol reference:
-
Page:
-
Year:
1901
Parish:
-
Remarks:
4915

Source information:

Emigrants from Oslo 1867-1930

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1867
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1901 1911 

Page:
-
Serial number:
1911
Protocol reference:
-
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000524422

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43627/448

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ann-Mary Engum

Torsten Gunleksen.... 

No 11

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/5956/245

 

----

 

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 
 

Emigration: 1881 5454 

Person: Thorsten Gulliksen

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000445470
   
Given name:
Thorsten
Last name:
Gulliksen
Gender:
m
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
26
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Gransherred
Position:
u Arb.
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1881-06-17
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
-
Port of departure:
Oslo
Destination:
Minniconne Wis.
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
-
Line:
Angelo
Agent:
-
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
5454
Protocol reference:
-
Page:
-
Year:
1881
Parish:
-
Remarks:
2569

Source information:

Emigrants from Oslo 1867-1930

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1867
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1881 5454 

Page:
-
Serial number:
5454
Protocol reference:
-
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000445470

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43615/75

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee
15 hours ago, Ann-Mary Engum said:

Torsten Gunleksen.... 

No 11

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/5956/245

 

----

 

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 

 

Emigration: 1881 5454 

Person: Thorsten Gulliksen

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000445470
   
Given name:
Thorsten
Last name:
Gulliksen
Gender:
m
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
26
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Gransherred
Position:
u Arb.
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1881-06-17
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
-
Port of departure:
Oslo
Destination:
Minniconne Wis.
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
-
Line:
Angelo
Agent:
-
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
5454
Protocol reference:
-
Page:
-
Year:
1881
Parish:
-
Remarks:
2569

Source information:

Emigrants from Oslo 1867-1930

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1867
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1881 5454 

Page:
-
Serial number:
5454
Protocol reference:
-
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000445470

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43615/75

 

 

 

T Gulcksen

 in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957

Name:T Gulcksen

Arrival Date:5 Jul 1881

Birth Date:abt 1855

Age:26

Gender:Male

Ethnicity/ Nationality:Swedish

Place of Origin:Sweden

Port of Departure:Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland

Destination:United States of America

Port of Arrival:New York, New York

Ship Name:Germanic

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-12-12-25-AM.pn

 

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-3-03-45-PM.png

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anne-Lise Hansen

The site Norwegian Heritage provides interesting reading about Norwegian emigration to America. I’ll link to a couple of articles:

 

 

http://www.norwayheritage.com/emigration-records.htm

 

http://www.norwayheritage.com/canadian-passenger-records.htm

 

T.Gulcksen is describes as Swedish 

in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957.

This is due to the Swedish-Norwegian union between 1814 and 1905:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_between_Sweden_and_Norway

Edited by Anne-Lise Hansen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee
15 hours ago, Ann-Mary Engum said:

 

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 

 

Emigration: 1901 1912 

Person: Lars Østensen Bratterud

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000524423
   
Given name:
Lars
Last name:
Østensen Bratterud
Gender:
m
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
28
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Hovind, Telem.
Position:
u Arb.
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1901-04-26
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
-
Port of departure:
Oslo
Destination:
Manitoba
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
-
Line:
Angelo
Agent:
-
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
1912
Protocol reference:
-
Page:
-
Year:
1901
Parish:
-
Remarks:
4917

Source information:

Emigrants from Oslo 1867-1930

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1867
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1901 1912 

Page:
-
Serial number:
1912
Protocol reference:
-
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000524423

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43627/448

 

----

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 

 

Emigration: 1901 1911 

Person: Østen Østensen Bratterud

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000524422
   
Given name:
Østen
Last name:
Østensen Bratterud
Gender:
m
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
26
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Hovind, Telem.
Position:
u Arb.
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1901-04-26
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
-
Port of departure:
Oslo
Destination:
Manitoba
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
-
Line:
Angelo
Agent:
-
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
1911
Protocol reference:
-
Page:
-
Year:
1901
Parish:
-
Remarks:
4915

Source information:

Emigrants from Oslo 1867-1930

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1867
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1901 1911 

Page:
-
Serial number:
1911
Protocol reference:
-
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000524422

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43627/448

 

 

Osten Brobad

 in the Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935

 

Name:Osten Brobad

Gender:Female

Arrival Age:26

Birth Year:abt 1875

Departure Port:Liverpool, England

Arrival Date:10 May 1901

Arrival Port:Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Vessel:Tunisian

 

Must be Lars just above Osten

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-12-25-27-AM.pn

 

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-3-00-01-PM.png

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee
16 hours ago, Ann-Mary Engum said:

 

 

Digital Archives
Ann-Mary Engum 
 

 

Emigration: 1882 

Person: Aslaug Østens

PERMANENT ID: pe00000000977987
   
Given name:
Aslaug
Last name:
Østens.
Gender:
k
Date of birth:
-
Year of birth:
-
Age:
21
Birth place:
-
Residence:
Thelemarken
Position:
P
Family position:
-
Date of emigration:
1882-11-24
Registration date:
-
Date of contract:
1882-11-23
Port of departure:
-
Destination:
Leland
Date of arrival:
-
Ship:
Angelo
Line:
-
Agent:
M. A. Lea
Reason for emigration:
-
New occupation:
-
Ticket:
-
Passport:
-
Emigrating with family?:
-
Remarks:
-


Serial number:
-
Protocol reference:
9
Page:
292
Year:
1882
Parish:
-
Remarks:
-

Source information:

Emigrants from Kristiania 1871-1930, edited version

Go to complete source information 

County:
Oslo
Municipality (1947):
Oslo
Geographic area:
Kristiania muni.
Start year:
1871
End year:
1930

Emigration:

1882 

Page:
292
Serial number:
-
Protocol reference:
9
Parish:
-
Scanned page:
-

The Digital Archive is a service from the National Archives

Email: digitalarkivet@arkivverket.no
Help line: + 47 480 55 666

Postal address: Digitalarkivet, Arkivverket, Postboks 4013 Ullevål stadion, 0806 OSLO


Privacy policy

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000977987

 

Scanned

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43617/295

 

 

Why would she be called Johnsdatter? Must be her at number 67 as next to her on the list are Ole Christiansen and Paul Hansen etc. 

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000977988

 

Asbaney Johnsdotter

 in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957

Name:Asbaney Johnsdotter

Arrival Date:15 Dec 1882

Birth Date:abt 1861

Age:21

Gender:Female

Ethnicity/ Nationality:Norwegian

Place of Origin:Norway

Port of Departure:Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland

Destination:United States of America

Port of Arrival:New York, New York

Ship Name:Scythia

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-12-38-22-AM.pn

 

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-3-14-03-PM.png

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ann-Mary Engum
55 minutter siden, Anton Hagelee skrev:

 

 

Why would she be called Johnsdatter? Must be her at number 67 as next to her on the list are Ole Christiansen and Paul Hansen etc. 

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000977988

 

Asbaney Johnsdotter

 in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957

Name:Asbaney Johnsdotter

Arrival Date:15 Dec 1882

Birth Date:abt 1861

Age:21

Gender:Female

Ethnicity/ Nationality:Norwegian

Place of Origin:Norway

Port of Departure:Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland

Destination:United States of America

Port of Arrival:New York, New York

Ship Name:Scythia

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-12-at-12-38-22-AM.pn

 

Det er vel skrevet feil farsnavn på henne. 

Men det er nok Aslaug Østensdatter. 

 

----

 

13 Nov 1882

Asloug Østensdatter Bratterud

Born 14/7-1860

No 50

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/5956/30576/19

 

----

Aslaug Østensdatter

Norway Baptisms, 1634-1927

Event Type: Christening
Event Date: 27 Jul 1860
Event Place: Gransherad, Bratsberg, Norway
Event Place (Original): Gransherad, Telemark, Norway
Gender: Female
Birth Date: 14 Jul 1860

No

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/1370/13

 

Aslaug

No 37

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/1370/13

Edited by Ann-Mary Engum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anfinn Bernaas

Number 11, upper right corner page 396: Torsten Gunleksen Vaarstulen, 11. juni 1881, born 1855. To Amerika.

 

SAKO, Gransherad kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0004: Ministerialbok nr. I 4, 1871-1886, s. 396
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061108340613
 

Number 50, lower right corner page 399: Aslaug Østensdat[ter] Bratterud, 13. november 1882, born 14. juli 1860. To Amerika.

 

SAKO, Gransherad kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0004: Ministerialbok nr. I 4, 1871-1886, s. 399
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061108340616
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anfinn Bernaas

Number 7, upper right corner page 169: Lars Østensen Bratterud, april Md. [month] 1901, born 30. mai 1872. Amerika, Minnesota.

Number 8, upper right corner page 169: Østen Østensen Bratterud, april Md. [month] 1901, born 16. mars 1875. Amerika, Minnesota.

 

SAKO, Gransherad kirkebøker, F/Fb/L0005: Ministerialbok nr. II 5, 1887-1916, s. 169
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051004030385
 

 

Edited by Anfinn Bernaas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

One explanation for the name being Aslaug Johnsdatter in the arrival record is that her mother was a Johnsdatter.

 

Aslaug Østensdatter

 in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927

Name:Aslaug Østensdatter

Gender:Female

Birth Date:14 jul 1860

Baptism Date:27 jul 1860

Baptism Place:Gransherad , Telemark, Norway

Father:Østen Olesen Bratterud

Mother:Astri Johnsdatter

FHL Film Number:278283

Reference ID:bk 6 p9

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051007050141

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

Lars O Bratrud

 in the Web: Minnesota, Naturalization Index, 1849-1985

Name:Lars O Bratrud

Naturalization Year Range:1885-1955

Residence Place:Roseau, Minnesota, USA

 

Osten O Bratrud

 in the Web: Minnesota, Naturalization Index, 1849-1985

ame:Osten O Bratrud

Naturalization Year Range:1885-1955

Residence Place:Roseau, Minnesota, USA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

There is a large group of family named Bratrud living in Roseau County, Minnesota. It appears that the parents and two other children also emigrated to America in 1901. Here is Østen O Bratterud from Hovind, Telemark with his wife Astrd  and two children, daughter also named Astid age 22 and Ragnhid age 32. 

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000001055022

 

The family in the 1891 Census on Bratterud, Hovin, Telemark. 

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01052845000031

 

Osten wife and two children arriving in New York in September 1901. Birth year is off.  

 

 

Oster Bratrud

 in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957

Name:Oster Bratrud

Arrival Date:26 Sep 1901

Birth Date:abt 1845

Age:56

Gender:Male

Ethnicity/ Nationality:Norwegian

Port of Departure:Liverpool, England

Port of Arrival:New York, New York

Ship Name:Servia

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-13-at-7-16-55-PM.png

 

Family is listed as traveling to 

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-13-at-7-20-20-PM.png

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

The family under Osten Olsen Bratrud lived in 1910 in Roseau County, Minnesota and in 1915 in Steele County, North Dakota. The names of the children seem to have been americanized so it is a little difficult to discern who is who. 

 

1910 Roseau County Osten Bratrud plus family.

 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2PF-GGW

 

1915 Steele County Osten O Bratrud

 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QK9C-YF6C

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

Lars in the 1905 Minnesota State Census

 

Laro O Bratrud

 in the Minnesota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905

Name:Laro O Bratrud

Age:33

Census Date:8 Jun 1905

County:Roseau

Locality:Township 159

Birth Location:Norway

Gender:Male

Estimated birth year:abt 1872

Race:White

Father's Birth Location:Norway

Mother's Birth Location:Norway

Line:23

Roll:MNSC_153

 

Screen-Shot-2020-02-13-at-7-37-54-PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

Both Osten Olson Bratrud and his wife Astri Johnsdatter applied for citizenship. 

 

Osten Olson Bratrud

 in the Web: Minnesota, Naturalization Index, 1849-1985

Name:Osten Olson Bratrud

Naturalization Year Range:1885-1955

Residence Place:Roseau, Minnesota, USA

 

Name:Osten O. Bratrud

County:Roseau

Reel:1

Code:1

Volume:A

Page:252

Document Type:Declaration

Years:1895 -1905

 

This next application is for the wife of Osten. Spouses are listed in the application because before 1922 women became citizens through their husbands and did not have their own papers!

 

Osten Olson (Astri Jonsdatter) Bratrud

 in the Web: Minnesota, Naturalization Index, 1849-1985

Name:Osten Olson (Astri Jonsdatter) Bratrud

Naturalization Year Range:1885-1955

Residence Place:Roseau, Minnesota, USA

 

Name:Osten Olson (Astri Jonsdatter) Bratrud

County:Roseau

Reel:4

Code:13

Volume:G

Page:4

Document Type:Petition & Record

Years:1906 -1908

Numbers:1--50

 

 

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

In the emigration record posted above by Ann-Mary it states that Thorsten Gullicksen was traveling to Minniconne Wis. That is likely Winneconne, Wisconsin a village in Winnebago County, Wisconsin. 

 

Emigration record https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000445470

 

In the 1900 Census there is a John Gullicksen born about 1855 in Norway and who arrived in 1881. it is not a perfect fit as Torsten was born March 23, 1855 not the Nov 1855 of the 1900 Census. And of course the name is John not Thorsten. And the county is Price in 1900 not Winneabago. But worth investigating. 

 

 

John Gulickson

 in the 1900 United States Federal Census

Name:John Gulickson

Age:44

Birth Date:Nov 1855

Birthplace:Norway

Home in 1900:Prentice, Price, Wisconsin

House Number:6

Sheet Number:11

Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation:205

Family Number:218

Race:White

Gender:Male

Immigration Year:1881

Relation to Head of House:Head

Marital status:Married

Spouse's name:Mary Gulickson

Marriage Year:1881

Father's Birthplace:Norway

Mother's Birthplace:Norway

Years in US:19

Naturalization:Na

Occupation:Farmer

Months Not Employed:0

Can Read:Yes

Can Write:Yes

Can Speak English:Yes

House Owned or Rented:O

Home Free or Mortgaged:F

Farm or House:F

Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

NameAge

John Gulickson44

Mary Gulickson42

Edvin Gulickson12

Henry Gulickson7

George Gulickson4

 

Does not look like the right man. Records indicate that the above John Gullickson is this man and not from Telemark.

 

John Gulliksen

 in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1781-1969

Name:John Gulliksen

Gender:Male

Record Type:Marriage 

Birth Place:Valdere, Norge

Marriage Date:18 Apr 1883

Marriage Place:Decorah, Iowa, USA

Father:Gullik Johnsen

Mother:Hjertand Nilsdatter

Spouse:Maril Ingebretsen

Church Name:Decorah Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran

Church Location:Decorah, Iowa

 

https://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0544&kenr=002&bnr=0015&lnr=000

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ann-Mary Engum
14 minutter siden, Anton Hagelee skrev:

In the emigration record posted above by Ann-Mary it states that Thorsten Gullicksen was traveling to Minniconne Wis. That is likely Winneconne, Wisconsin a village in Winnebago County, Wisconsin. 

 

Emigration record https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000445470

 

In the 1900 Census there is a John Gullicksen born about 1855 in Norway and who arrived in 1881. it is not a perfect fit as Torsten was born March 23, 1855 not the Nov 1855 of the 1900 Census. And of course the name is John not Thorsten. And the county is Price in 1900 not Winneabago. But worth investigating. 

 

 

John Gulickson

 in the 1900 United States Federal Census

Name:John Gulickson

Age:44

Birth Date:Nov 1855

Birthplace:Norway

Home in 1900:Prentice, Price, Wisconsin

House Number:6

Sheet Number:11

Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation:205

Family Number:218

Race:White

Gender:Male

Immigration Year:1881

Relation to Head of House:Head

Marital status:Married

Spouse's name:Mary Gulickson

Marriage Year:1881

Father's Birthplace:Norway

Mother's Birthplace:Norway

Years in US:19

Naturalization:Na

Occupation:Farmer

Months Not Employed:0

Can Read:Yes

Can Write:Yes

Can Speak English:Yes

House Owned or Rented:O

Home Free or Mortgaged:F

Farm or House:F

Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

NameAge

John Gulickson44

Mary Gulickson42

Edvin Gulickson12

Henry Gulickson7

George Gulickson4

 

Emigration

Scanned

No 5454

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/43615/75

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

Thank you Ann-Mary, when I look at the scanned record you posted I think the location in Wisconsin could be Menomonie, Wisconsin a city in Dunn County. I will also search there. 

 

The group just above Thorsten from Nissedal are easily found in Iowa, under Abrham Halvorsen Brekke. Winnebago Iowa. 

 

There is also this fellow who pops up in the 1885 Wisconsin State Census. 

 

??Tin Gullikson

 in the Wisconsin, State Censuses, 1855-1905

Name:??Tin Gullikson 

Residence Date:1885

Residence Place:Baldwin, St Croix, Wisconsin, USA

Relationship:Head

 

Listed as one white Scandinavian.  First name only partially visible.

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

Not much luck with Tosten so back to the Bratrud group in Roseau Minnesota. 

 

Ann-Mary posted the baptism record for Aslaug number 37. That gives a birth date of 14 Juli 1860. 

 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051007050141

 

Here is a married woman Aslaug (Esther) Thykeson born 14 July 1860 in a tree on Ancestry.com. No source is given for the birth date and the tree does not list any parents for her. 

 

Aslaug (Esther) Thykeson

1860–1951

BIRTH 14 JUL 1860 • Telemark, Norway

DEATH 2 NOV 1951 • Badger, Minnesota

 

Here is the earliest record I have found for her. Birth of her first child living in North Dakota with her husband.

 

Anna Sedilia Thykesen

 in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1781-1969

Name:Anna Sedilia Thykesen

Baptism Age:0

Record Type:Baptism 

Birth Date:18 Oct 1888

Baptism Date:18 Nov 1888

Baptism Place:Portland, North Dakota, USA

Father:Karl Thykesen

Mother:Aslaug Thykesen

Church Name:Bruflat Lutheran

Church Location:Portland, North Dakota

 

Arrival records for her are 1883 in 1910 Census, 1882 in 1920 Census and 1881 in 1930 Census.

 

 

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

She is listed as having died in Roseau County, Minnesota in 1951.

 

Aslaug Thykeson

 in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current

Name:Aslaug Thykeson

Birth Date:1860

Birth Place:Norway

Death Date:1951

Cemetery:Moe-Rose Cemetery

Burial or Cremation Place:Roseau County, Minnesota, United States of America

Has Bio?:N

Spouse:Carl Thykeson

Children:Carl J Thykeson 
Ernest Thykeson 
George H Thykeson 
Gina Thykeson 
Anna Sedelia Solom 
Selma Paulson

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

Carl Thykeson and wife Aslaug moved from North Dakota to Roseau County, Minnesota between 1888 and 1900. They are found in Roseau in the following US Census Records

 

1900

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M93G-5BB

 

1910

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2PN-VGK

 

1920

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2PN-VGK

 

1930

 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3D8-XHH

 

 

 

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anton Hagelee

In the 1910 US Census the farm next to Carl Thykeson and wife Aslaug is occupied by Ole Bratrud. This is likely Ole Østensen Bratrud bother of Aslaug. 

 

 

Ole Bratrud

 in the 1910 United States Federal Census

Name:Ole Bratrud 

Age in 1910:47

Birth Year:abt 1863

Birthplace:Norway

Home in 1910:Ross, Roseau , Minnesota

Race:White

Gender:Male

Immigration Year:1902

Relation to Head of House:Head

Marital status:Single

Father's Birthplace:Norway

Mother's Birthplace:Norway

Native Tongue:Norwegian

Occupation:Farmer

Industry:General Farm

Employer, Employee or Other:Own Account

Home Owned or Rented:Rent

Farm or House:Farm

Naturalization Status:Naturalized

Able to Read:Yes

Able to Write:Yes

Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

NameAge

Ole Bratrud47

 

Ole Østensen

 in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927

Name:Ole Østensen

Gender:Male

Birth Date:1 aug 1862

Baptism Date:21 sep 1862

Baptism Place:Gransherad, Telemark, Norway

Father:Østen Olsen Vastvedt

Mother:Astri Johnsdatter

FHL Film Number:278283

Reference ID:bk 6 p21

 

Number 28 https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051007050153

 

 

 

 

Edited by Anton Hagelee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.