Arkivverket
David Grawrock

Tyding John Osward

Richard Johan Natvig

image.png.a50e4b1eec8447493069658a1038c67c.png

oplevede ikke hjemmedaabens stadfestelse | Egte | hjdbt [hjemmedøbt] af sognepr[est] Meyer[,] vidner: Moderen og kone Thea Kristensen

9 timer siden, David Grawrock skrev:

normally the + is an indication of death, correct?

correct, normally, yes. But in this case, not, I believe. The + is placed in the column used for date of confirmation of baptism performed in the home (not in church). I believe the + here is a is connected to the first of the three last columns: "did not witnes the confirmation of the baptism (at home)", therefore the parish vicar was unable to submit a date. Same for the next child, also baptised at home.

Ivar S. Ertesvåg
1 time siden, Richard Johan Natvig skrev:

image.png.a50e4b1eec8447493069658a1038c67c.png

oplevede ikke hjemmedaabens stadfestelse | Egte | hjdbt [hjemmedøbt] af sognepr[est] Meyer[,] vidner: Moderen og kone Thea Kristensen

correct, normally, yes. But in this case, not, I believe. The + is placed in the column used for date of confirmation of baptism performed in the home (not in church). I believe the + here is a is connected to the first of the three last columns: "did not witnes the confirmation of the baptism (at home)", therefore the parish vicar was unable to submit a date. Same for the next child, also baptised at home.

... hmm... - the vicar did, of course, withness (actually, conducted) the confirmation.

An alternative interpretation:

"oplevede ikke hjemmedaabens stadfestelse" (I agree in the reading) = did not experience the confirmation of the home baptism

This  refers to the child (not the vicar); i.e. the child died before its home baptism could be confirmed in church.

- and this explains the cross; there are dates for the birth and baptism. Since it was a home baptism, there should also be a date for its confirmation.

The cross denotes that the child died.

Richard Johan Natvig
17 minutter siden, Ivar S. Ertesvåg skrev:

... hmm... - the vicar did, of course, withness (actually, conducted) the confirmation.

An alternative interpretation:

"oplevede ikke hjemmedaabens stadfestelse" (I agree in the reading) = did not experience the confirmation of the home baptism

This  refers to the child (not the vicar); i.e. the child died before its home baptism could be confirmed in church.

- and this explains the cross; there are dates for the birth and baptism. Since it was a home baptism, there should also be a date for its confirmation.

The cross denotes that the child died.

Ja det synest vera ei betre forklaring, takk!

David Grawrock

This couple have a history of home baptisms. Also there is the potential for a second child with the same name (have never found that record though). But I think Ivar's reading is correct. Thank you both so much for spending the time, I'm trying to improve my reading skills but i'm still very tentative towards my transcriptions and translations.

Richard Johan Natvig
2 timer siden, David Grawrock skrev:

But I think Ivar's reading is correct.

Quite right! The boy died not long after the home baptism, no. 105 here:

SAO, Grønland prestekontor Kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0010: Ministerialbok nr. 10, 1891-1898, s. 112
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060929030529

David Grawrock

I can't believe this help. Thanks so much for taking the time to actually look for his death. I will certainly try to pay this forward when i can.

David