Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Looking for some help in interpreting an entry found in Rollag Bygdebok

Larry Melander
 Del

I'm looking for some help in interpreting an entry found in Rollag Bygdebok for Kleivan farm.  I have attached it below.  I have used Google-Translate but some words it doesn't recognize.  Specifically I'm trying to figure out what a kyrlag is and also the comment regarding a markebol.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rollag Bygdebok Bind V p. 191 for Kleivan farm and appears to list the breakdown of inheritance of Niri and Turid's children-

Det er temmeleg mykje gods som skal skiftast.  Fyrst skiftar dei odelsgodset mellom ungane i kyrlag pa ein slik mate at det gar 8 kyrlag på eit markebol.  Det vert skifta slik:

Nils får 14 kyrlag i Kleivan

Birgit får 4 kyrlag i Kleivan, 4 kyrlag i Mykstu og 1 kyrslag i Kittilsland

Torgeir og Oluf får 28 kyrlag i Haslerud til saman

Gro får 4 kyrlag i Mockestue, 4 kyrlag i Rollag (Tinn?) og 1 kyrlag i Kleivan

Sigrid får 4 kyrlag i Haslerud og 5 kyrlag i Kleivan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the links to the definitions.  When I use Google to translate it for me- it has a hard time with some words and the results are somewhat confusing.  It appears a "kyrlag" is a measure of value for a farm and is equal to "a 3-8 year old cow with at least one calf" and that it's value also could be equaled in a number of sheep or goats.  However, the markebol definition Google comes up with is very confusing.  Could you humor me and give me a short definition in English??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Else-

perhaps to make it easier for you- could you just decipher the first sentence

"Det er temmeleg mykje gods som skal skiftast.  Fyrst skiftar dei odelsgodset mellom ungane i kyrlag pa ein slik mate at det gar 8 kyrlag på eit markebol."

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

10 timer siden, Larry Melander skrev:

However, the markebol definition Google comes up with is very confusing.  Could you humor me and give me a short definition in English??

Google translate has some deficiencies... In this case, also humans may struggle.

The lokalhistoriewiki.no explanation covers a variation with geography and chronology.  If we restrict this to Rollag = østlandet and time = after 1600 (1700?), the following can be extracted:

markebol was an ancient term, which had lost its orignal meaning. In the 1600s/1700s, the value of this unit varied from case to case. However, the origial value of markebol was still used among the peasants, although with an individual  "exchage rate" to a contemporary, more unified unit (e.g. kyrlag).

10 timer siden, Larry Melander skrev:

"Det er temmeleg mykje gods som skal skiftast.  Fyrst skiftar dei odelsgodset mellom ungane i kyrlag pa ein slik mate at det gar 8 kyrlag på eit markebol."

Something like

There is quite a lot of land property to be divided (among the heirs/children). First, they divided the "odelsgods" between the kids, such that there were 8 kyrlag in a markebol.

In this case it seems that the number of markebol was evaluated for all or parts of the properties, and then converted to 8 kyrlag per markebol.

The convertion enabled summarizing the markebol properties and other parts of the inheritance.

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider