Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

1820 who served in the Jaeger Corps assigned to Akershus Castle?

Dr. Randy Fisher
 Del

I will be visiting Oslo, Norway for the first time July. 

I found evidence that my 3rd Great Grandfather named Even Johansen Seather (Born 1975 - Died 28 Apr 1848) was in the military and maybe worked in the castle. 

I believe his residence was in the Vaterland neighborhood in Oslo, which I understand is close to the Akershus Castle. And most importantly, a number of baptisms of his children include army officers that are recorded as godparents to the child.

Do you have records of who served in the Jaeger Corps?

I appreciate your help.

Dr. Randy Fisher
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ivar,

if I'm not mistaken, only norwegian ip-addresses have access to the National Library.

The newspaper page showing the obituary is attatched and should be accessable

output-1.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

11 minutter siden, Morten Sylte skrev:

if I'm not mistaken, only norwegian ip-addresses have access to the National Library.

The newspaper in question is accessible for everyone ("Tilgang for alle").

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Is it possible to find my 4th GGF Even Johansen Saether in an army muster roll from Akershus?  here - https://media.digitalarkivet.no/db/browse?counties%5B%5D=02&start_year=&end_year=&tags%5B%5D=69&text=

I cannot I read Norwegian, so can someone please help search for Saether?

Does this help with clues to his company?

Domicile: Vaterland
H: 1821-12-30
Pos./Status: Overjæger af 4. Comp.
Role: far
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Skrevet (endret)

This is what i find

Jegerkorpset - Akershus regiment was a newer version of the Norwegian Hunter Corps and was established in 1788. Det Norske Jegerkorps has a history dating back to 1628.

From 1902 onwards, Akershus Regiment was an ordinary infantry corps. The Hunter Corps was disbanded on 1 October 2003. By then, the Corps was less than 100 days away from turning 375. The regiment is now part of the Home Guard.

Akershus Fortress is a historic medieval castle located in Oslo, Norway. Construction of the fortress began in 1299 under the reign of King Håkon V. Over the centuries, it has served as a royal residence, a military base, and even a prison. Today, it stands as a popular tourist destination where visitors can explore its impressive architecture, learn about Norwegian history, and take guided tours to uncover its secrets and stories1. The fortress is situated on the waterfront and offers scenic views of the harbor. Entrance to the fortress grounds is free of charge, making it an essential part of Oslo’s identity and heritage12.

The mention of Jæger Companiet likely refers to historical information related to this military unit or company within the context of the book. Unfortunately, without further context, I cannot provide specific details about Jæger Companiet. However, it’s intriguing to think about how this fortress has witnessed centuries of events and played various roles in Norway’s history!

Endret av Ivar Moe
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Ivar, thank you for additional information. However, I do not have a Norway VPN to see the pages. Can you please screenshot and attach the specific pages? I appreciate your help. Dr. Randy Fisher

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Ivor and Morten, I was able to translate to English. That is so cool. My 4th GGF must have been a nice person to have Military Officers attend his funeral services. My wife is a 2-Star General, and I am only a Colonel. No - I do not salute my wife. 

Did I translate correctly:

Christiania Intelligent notes - 1848

Deaths

That my dear husband, Overjæger Even Sæther, 53 years old,

gently and calmly slumbered in Death on the 28th of April, after 8 Days

Illness, is hereby announced with great sadness to relatives and friends.

Christiania on 5th May 1848.                                     Karen hall. Sæther.

The Gentlemen Officers and several Others, who showed the Deceased the

Honour, to accompany his mortal Remains to their Resting Place, receive

hereby my and my children's most heartfelt thanks.

Karen hall. Sæther.

Christiania Intelligent notes-1848.docx

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Your translation is spot on, with one exception. I would suggest you translate "...jordiske levninger..." as "...earthly remains...".

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Ivar, no, that is not me. I am a full colonel, and my wife is a 2-star general. However, due to our positions within the Pentagon, you probably will not see us. My Ancestry Tree is called Dr. Randy Fisher Family Tree. Because we are planning our first trip to Norway this July for 14 days, I am updating and doing as much research as possible. I am especially interested in the fact that maybe my 4th GGF worked in the castle. That will be cool to me to walk the area knowing that maybe he worked here hundreds of years ago.  Are you military?  I want to read the book, however, it is locked only to Norwegian IP addresses. Are there other areas available?  I really appreciate your continued help.  Best to you, Randy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

My english is not the best, sorry, but I found the last name Sæther in a book written by Colonel H.Angell in 1914 called "Syv-Aars-Krigen for 17.mai. 1807-1814". Page 140-145 is about the Battle of Prestebakke, Halden. It mentions lieutenant Birch and lieutenant Sæther, who is 19-years old, in june 1808. Sæther died in the battle but they are both mentioned as heroes. Perhaps he is the brother of Even Johansen (Johannesen) Sæter (Sæther), born about 1797?. 

I noticed that one of the godmothers to Evens children is Anne Marie Bull Hjort, wife of Captain Hans Jørgen Birch, born in 1790. In 1829 he was 'Chef for 4de Comp', so Sæthers Chief. He lived in Kongens gate in 1836, close to Festningsplassen near Akershus Fortress/Castle. 

The book by H. Angell also mention Hans Rustad at page 152. He is also mentioned at page 128 in the book you cannot access, but i dont know how to share the content. It is about the 'Akershusiske infanteribrigade' and 'Akershusiske ridende jegerkorps' in 1818, but does not explain much further. Colonel Hans Rustad is the chief for 'Akershus gevorbne musketerkorps', and it says that Captain Carl Ludvig Røepstorff is in charge of the 4.company. I noticed that a Captain Rustad is one of the godfathers to Sæthers children, perhaps Hans Rustad and/or Guttorm Rustad, another Captain and chief.

You can search his name or these other names mentioned here at arkivportalen.no, and choose english as language. Or if you contact the National Archives services of Norway and ask them to search for : 'Akershus ridende jegerkorps 1811-1888' or Norske gevorbne jegerkorps'. The address is: Arkivverket

P.O. Box 4013 Ullevål Stadion,

0806 Oslo. 

You could also email the Armed Forces Museum at:  post.fmu@mil.no

Deichman library is also close to the Akershus Fortress if yoy want to 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Part 2: ..if you want to look at these books and copy some pages. Another interesting book is written by Jan W. Hansvoll: "Norges Jegerkorps 1788-1888." If you want to read about the 'Battle of Prestebakke' in english then you can find it at wikipedia. 

Good luck with finding some answers! All I could find is that some 'jegere' had guard duty, and that they were recruited by selected people. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider