Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9676] Occupations (translation)

Gjest Richard Hellesen
 Del

Gjest Richard Hellesen

Good day--One more set of translations to ask you about! In the various 'smeds' in 1801: is 'klensmed' the same as the later 'kleinsmed', i.e., locksmith? Also, at a loss to define 'kursmed' (also appears as 'cursmed'). My sense is that unless a smith's work is defined (as above, as well as guldsmed, koppersmed, etc.), then he would be what we call a blacksmith, i.e., general ironworker--but perhaps I'm wrong in this. Oh yes, one more occupation (or status) from 1801: 'Capellan p. Persona til indre hol medals kald'. Any help with this one greatly appreciated! [P.S: slightly off the subject, but a couple of terms from another site which have me baffled; both refer to a soldier's equipment around this time: 'rullepinne' and 'Enkeltmannspakke'. I know the latter refers to something for one person, but what? Thanks...]-- R. Hellesen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ketil Firing Hanssen

Kleinsmed = Locksmith, tool maker Kursmed (=Hesteskjærer) = Veterinary ('Horse cutter') Kapellan = Curate Rullepinne (mil.) = A device to wrap cartridges around Enkeltmannspakke (mil.) = Personal compress

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

Regarding the socalled 'Personal Compress' or 'Enkeltmannspakke' (literally translated an Individual Package):It is is a small sterilized compress enclosed in plastic, which is supposed to be carried by the soldier at all times in the case of an urgent need of a First Aid treatment; - preferably ready and available in his/her uniform. Additional compresses may also be carried in specially designed First Aid kit-boxes.The personal compress is quite handy when it comes to stopping bleedings from minor wounds inflicted by (for example) a shrapnel or similar, at least temporarily. Major wounds will of course require more extensive medical measures/excessive and necessary treatment.Improved versions of the Personal Compress is of course still used by most (perhaps all?) modern armies/defense forces.Regards, Terje

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Hellesen

Thank you all for your help! (Embarassed about being tripped up by the inadvertent space between 'hol' and 'medals'...)--RH

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.