Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17305] Tomsburg/Thomsburg - where is it

Gjest Jeff Erickson
 Del

Gjest per helge seglsten

Don't let go of the Hans Jacob Augustsen just yet. A various of norwegian names were americanized to Thompson. It most certainly didn't have to be Thommesen etc. in norway. My wife's great grandfather was named Thorsteinsen - which became Thompson. And I'm sure an american or an australian would have preferred something easier than Augustson - especially with a norwegian pronounciation. I think this person could very well be your man.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

He was born in Tønsberg, no address listed, but we can be sure it was no farm, but rather a house or tenement house in the town. Tønsberg parish included no farms, as far as I know.I think I've found the parents, August Jacobsen and Kristiane Hansdatter, as unmarried servants at the same farm (Øre Søndre) at Nøtterøy in 1865. No doubt how they met! August was of swedish origin: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

I found the marriage of August Jacobsen and Christiane Hansdatter at Family search: AUGUST JACOBSEN Event(s): Birth: 25 JAN 1833 Christening: Death: Burial: Parents: Father: JACOB NILSEN Family Marriages: Spouse: CHRISTIANE HANSDR Family Marriage: 28 JAN 1868 Tonsberg, Vestfold, Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

You are probably right, Helga.But the main problem is still to verify whether or not Hans Jacob Augustsen and Henry Thompson are the same person.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Thank you all Do we know if Hans Jacob Augustsen emigrated to America and if so, when? Do records of passports for that period still exist? Even if he was a seaman he would still need a passport.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Here is another possible path. In 1886 there was a Gunder Thomesen at Steinsholt, Hedrum gnr 16 Nnr 2. Christian Eriksen's grandfather (Borre Waal Hansen) was from Steinsholt. This may be the Thompson/Eriksen connection. Do we know where Gunder was born and his parents. Similarly there was a Peter Thomassen at Bergan Gnr 114. Were Gunder and Peter related? Henry Thompson mentioned Bergan frequently

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

In the emigrantprotocoll from Oslo to USA before 1890 (the year he went from USA to Australia),the only Henry Thompson born about 1868 I can find is this one: LenkeBut he was then living in America and there is nothing about where in Norway he came from.Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Kallevik

Just another try:Here is a person born in Vestfold and christening in April 1868 (found at Family Search):HENRIK HENRIKSEN Birth: Christening: 10 APR 1868 Notteroy, Vestfold, Norway Death: Burial:Parents: Father: HENRIK TORGERSEN Family Mother: INGER KRISTENSDRYou said (in number 13)that the fathers name was either Henry or Christof. Here the fathers name is Henrik (or Henry in English?), and the mothers second name is Kristensdatter (or could be Kristofferson?). Could Torgersen later become Tompson? Just another guessing. Could the family have moved to Tønsberg after his birth? Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

Here Henrik Henriksen's christening is in the Digitalarkivet transcription of the Nøtterøy parish registers: Lenke But he is probably born on march 11.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

What about this one? I'm pretty sure his father's name is Henrik Chr. ([not Dhr.] Christopher) If there was a mix up between birth and christening date this one at least is close. (The birth date is probably february 5. Not september.) Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

The correct birthdate of Henrik, son of Henrik Torgersen, is March 11th. I checked the churchbook today.However, I wasn't aware of Per Helge Seglstens posting, so I can't confirm the birth date in that case. Still, baptisms half a year after the birth often happened, so September 5th (but then 1867) may be correct. I'll check the churchbook tomorrow.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Helga Marie Kallevik

Here is the same person in Family Search that per helge seglsten has: HANS BLOM HENRIKSEN Birth: 03 SEP 1867 Christening: 27 FEB 1868 Ostre Ekenes, Notteroy, Vestfold, Norway Death: Burial:Parents: Father: HENRIK KRISTIAN TORGERSEN Mother: ANNE MARIA BIRGETTE AGERUPCould it be some mixing with the day of birth and the day of christening in you information Jeff? If you look at the day of christening it is only 2 days later then your day of birth and the fathers name is both Henrik (or Henry) and Kristian).Is it possible to find out what happened to this Hans. Did he emigrate?Helga Kallevik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Thanks again Helga. The date of 25 Feb 1868 is correct for his birth. Perhaps the way forward is through his links to Anders Eriksen and Bergan , maybe even Steinsholt in Hedrum (35)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

The churchbook confirms that Hans Blom, son of Henrik Chr. Torgersen and Anne Marie Birgitte Agerup, was born September 3rd 1867 and baptised February 27th 1868.The Nøtterøy bygdebook says that Hans was married and lived in America.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 år senere...
Gjest jeff erickson

Two years on Henry's origins still elude me. He was a seaman when he arrived in Australia in 1890 . His ship came from San Francisco. But how did he get from Norway to San Francisco and who were his parents?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest per helge seglsten

Just one little thing: Tønsberg is not pronounced tOEnsberg, as proposed above. Insted of 'oe' you should pronounce it as 'ou' is pronounced in 'rough'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Erik Berg-Hansen

Hi,there! Things often take time, and it took 2 years to draw my attention to your problem! 1.I think you should forget the Henrik August Thommessen born 1208/baptized 0811 1857 from Holtan in Borre parish (now in Horten parish). The Borre bygdebok gives no further info on this Henrik - except 'dead in America'. This may be correct, but the info in the book is much based on what living relatives remembered about this in the 1950-ies . From another source of information, I have him listed as married (in America?). If his naturalization papers says 1868,that's probably correct.He may have given Tønsberg as place of birth even if he was not born/baptized there.I have seen cases where emigrants listed the nearest town as their place of birth, and I think it would be wise to check out the neighbuoring parishes of Tønsberg = Nøtterøy (Noetteroey),Sem & Slagen and even Stokke to exclude these possibilities (or find him!). If you're in no particular hurry I can do this for you at the the Vestfold county library in Tønsberg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Hi Jon, Henry THompson (Thomsen) is very elusive. I dont know when he left Norway . His death certificate shows he was born at Horten. Any help would be much appreciated. There is no rush. Thank you

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jon Erik Berg-Hansen

I can't find any trace of Henrik as born/christened in Borre,Horten,Tønsberg,Nøtterøy,Sem,Slagen or Stokke parishes 1867-1869, or confirmed 1882-1884. The one born 1857 on Holtan in Borre parish was confirmed 1872 in Borre.I have not been able to find him or another matching Henrik listed as leaving Norway. As you've said, he may have been a sailor. The name Henrik is not uncommon i Norway. Both names Henrik and Hartvig would probably be changed to Henry.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeff Erickson

Thank you John. Yes he was a sailor. Was the one born on Holtan still about in the 1900 census? My Henry Thomson was in Australia by then.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.