Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#17852] Sanness, Valborg and Paula

Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson
 Del

I'm trying to find the family of Valborg and Paula Sanness. They are from Sanness, Ore, Nordmore. The girls left from Bergen 1914 to Chicago, Illinois. I found when they arrived at Ellis Island and Valborg on US census for the state of Illinois (she worked for the McCormick Deering family). They are said to be cousins of my grandfather Ole Knute Fostervold (born 1881 son of Knute Mikkelson Sandnes and Guraa Fostervold). Valborg came to Minnesota and visited Ole and his brother Peder, not sure of the year. I cannot find what happened to them (they may have been married in US or went back to Norway) or whose children they were. I have photos of Valborg so I know she is for sure a family member. Can anyone help me find what happened to them and how they are related to my family? I'm also interested in finding out more about the whole Sandnes/Sannes family. Just started working on them. Thanks, Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

I found Valborg in census 1910!Nothing new there other than her immigration year, 1903! Online Data Library U.S. Census 1910 Illinois image: 307 of 581 Illinois, COOK, Roll 273 Book 2, Page 154a

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Torgeir Kvalvaag

Knut Mikkelsen Sandnes (1834-1902)on the Fostervollen farm was the cousin of Peder Jonsen Sannness 1863-1931)on the Øie (Oie?) farm. They had the same grandfather, Hans Mikkelsen Sanness (1771-1851.)Knut's sons (and daughters) consequently were second cousins to Peder's Valborg and Paula.Valborg Elise Sandnes was in 1932 married to the widower Kristen Olsen Torvik (1887-1968.) In his first marriage Kristen and his wife Gjertrud Marie Pedersd. Grendahl (1887-1932) had two daughters. One of them, Ragna and her husband Andreas Romuld, took over the farm (Torvikåsan) in 1953. They have eigth children.Paula Hansine Sandnes (1895-1943) was married to Elling Eivindsen (Evensen) Hoem (1888-1965) on Nylenda farm in Hoem. They had four children. Their grandson Erling is the owner of the farm today.Like som many of their relatives and contemporaries Valborg Elise and Paula Hansine left for America and then came back.All this according to Gards- og ættesoge for Gjemnes/1 by Nils Tore Leivdal.I hope this answers some of your questions. Did yoy by the way know that your grandfater Ole Fostervold was the cousin (first) of Kaare Fostervold, government minister and later head (kringskastingssjef) of Norwegian Broadcasting?If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.Regards Torgeir Kvalvaag

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks to Laila and Torgeir, Torgeir, is there anymore information on Valborg and Paula's families listed in the book? Alv Jakob Fostervoll sent me photo copies of the Fostervoll and Sandnes pages, but I guess I don't have the pages for the farms you listed. I have tried to find one of the books, guess there are sold out. Hopefully more will be printed soon! If you would have anything more about their children, I would appreciate getting it. Yes, I did find out about Kaare, I think I even have a postcard showing a picture of the building. I have most of Ole's old photos and a few postcards that came from Norway.Could you explain the differences in the spelling of the name Sandnes, Sandness, Sanness and Sannes and Sannæs, are they pretty much the same last name? (like Fostervoll/Fostervold)Nancy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.