Gå til innhold
Arkivverket
Gjest Nancy (Fostervold) Halvorson

[#17950] another spelling of name - Sandnes/Sannes (Sandnes farm in Tingvoll in Romsdal)

My grandpa Ole Fostervold's father was Knut Mikkelson from the Sandnes farm located by Fosterlågen. What would the correct spelling be for that surname? I have found that relatives seemed to have used both Sandnes and Sannes, sometimes using two s's at the end. Would this family have been buried in the Osmarka Bede Hus cemetery? That cemetery is one the Fostervold family used. It would be interesting to see what Knut's gravestone says. Thanks again, Nancy

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
Gjest Astrid Ryen

Sand + nes(s): Sand is the same as in English, 'nes' is a spit (a narrow and flat piece og land) sticking out into a fiord or a lake. So the name Sandnes would describe the situation of the farm. Sandnes would probably be the most correct spelling, but used as a family name it is also spelt Sannes(s) which is more in accordance with the way it is pronounced.

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Astrid, Thank you, I'm just starting to go into that side of my family tree. I just want to get everything as accurate as possible. I don't want to get things typed in and have to go back and redo everything. I'm sure there are some living Sannes family over in Norway, have know idea who they are, have had no contact. Maybe someone reading this will know of someone and let them know about me working on this. I do have it that a few people came to America, but do not have much information on them. Just a couple of photos and that's about it. Nancy

Del dette innlegget

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive