Arkivverket
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Torunn Cathrine Ludvigsen

[#18618] John Strand from Elverum - What is his story? emigrated in 1863

Hello!Gwen Sackrison wonders:A man named John Strand from Elverum who arrived in New York in April 1863, and departed from Oslo probably the same year.The mother's name is: Martha ( Marta)She may have died on the ship.Daughter Anna Olena,Mattie and son Charles.They had red hair. This is the information Gwen has left me, and she wants to know if there is anyone out there who can help her find something about the family in Norway.I guess anything is of interest, and all information is good information.I wrote this in English ( pardon ... ) so that Gwen can follow this topic herself.Is there anyone who can help her?

Guest Berit Knudsen

Martha, is she the mother of John Strand or mother of the children and his wife?

Good question, Berit... :)I will try and get Gwen to answer here.Torunn C

Guest Berit Knudsen

Int he 1880 US census I found John Strand 63y., son Charles 25y. and daughter Leana 15y. in Independence, Hennapin, Minn. Is this the family? I am asking because it tells their age.

Gwen says that the family you found, Berit was the right one.Torunn C

Guest Geir Kamsvaag Berntsen

Look to Tuvenga, Strand Nordre, Elverum where Johan Jensen with wife Marthe and children Karinus (Charles?), Inger Marthea (Mattie?) and Oline (Leana?) emigrated to Wisconsin.This is a longshot, but the age of the children fits, and the names are reasonable. But the details are not accurate comparing to the information given so far. If this might be interesting, I'll have a closer look at the family later.

Martha is the wife of John. Torunn C

Sign in to follow this