Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#25377] Capt. Carl Kjerulf

Gjest Mark Sullivan
 Del

Gjest Mark Sullivan

Greetings, I'm in search of a maritime researcher to help me locate information about a Capt. Carl Kjerulf who was captain of the 1866 Norwegian bark 'Fleetwing'. The homeport of the 'Fleetwing' was Larvik. I am able to compensate for efforts in locating as much info about him and the ship 'Fleetwing'.Thank you, Mark Sullivan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Leif Kåre Solberg

You will find him in the 1865 census. [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal&register=fornavn&pgj=130&teljing=ft1865&filnamn=f60707.wc2&amt=7&funnenr=296>Lenke He lives in the minor coastal town Larvik, building # 197: Carl Ludvig Kjærulff, Skipper (Capt.) 42 years old, born in Laurdal. Married with: Ulrikke Fredrikke Kjærulff 34 years old, born in Porsgrund. 3 children, all with family name Kjærulff and born in Larvik (Laurvig): Knud Petter, 10 y. Nicoline Margrethe, 8 y. and Jenny Georgine 4 y. A maid the 17 year old Johanne Fredrikke Carlsen is serving the family.In 1900 he (this time the family name is spelled “Kjerulf”) is retired

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mark Sullivan

Dear Leif, ok that sounds like the right person, now how can I go about finding who is living decendants might be and where they may live??Thank you!! Regards, Mark Sullivan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Leif Kåre Solberg

Perhaps it would be easier if you made clear your own position. How come you are asking about sea captain Kierulf? Do you think he was one of your ancestors? Why? That’s your link up to him? Names and dates?Nevertheless, I have did some research in the Norwegian census and in FamilySearch. Up it comes:His parents was: Knud P. Kierulf and Katharine Riis Winsnes married: 20 JUL 1817 Bragernes Drammen,Carl Ludvig Kierulf Birth: 24 MAR 1824 Bragernes, Drammen, Death: 23 NOV 1901. and spouse: Ulrikke Fredrikke Kjærulff b. 13 Aug 1832 Porsgrund – had 3 known children:1. Knud Peter K. Kierulf , b. 1856. Not found in the 1900 census. Death 07 OCT 1907. Marriage or children not known.2. Nicoline Margrethe Kierulf, b. 13 Aug 1832. 1900 living unmarried with her parents in Larvik. Marriage or children unlikely.3. Jenny Georgine Kierulf b. 1863. Marriage: 24 Mar 1887 Larvik, spouse: Halfdan Ludvigsen Gleditsch, b. 1854 Moss. (Father: Ludvig Gleditsch b. 1817 Chrisiania – in 1865 living in Chrisiania as a clerk. Mother: Mina b. 1831 Larvik [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=hentglobal&register=fornavn&pgj=53&teljing=ft1865&filnamn=f60301.wc2&amt=3&funnenr=367>Lenke). In 1900 the couple is living in Johs. Bruuns Gade 8, Oslo, with 4 children. He is an engineer.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Alexander Lange

Is you enquiry related to the 'Evening Star' accident of 1866? The Fleetwing picked up 9 survivors from the accident.There are others looking for more information on the ship, and this link might give you a starting point to where to find more information on the ship: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mark Sullivan

Hello, my interest in Capt. Kjerulf is one of historical curiosity. He did save lives in the open sea and to me, he is a heroic person in history. I would like to learn his story. I understand it is forbidden to publish info on persons still alive and it is not my intent to offend any of his living relatives. I would like to learn his version of events and was hoping that either his log was donated to a library or handed down through his family. I'm wondering if his account was ever mentioned/published in Norwegian literature as information in American newspapers is scant as he never landed on American shores but transfered the survivors onto another ship and went on his way, to Southampton, I believe. Can anyone tell me what “Norske Slægter” is?? One person mentioned that 'it is known that the Fleetwing saved lives at sea' and so I'm curious as to where this information in Norway may be, and if Capt. Kjerulf was ever celebrated as a hero in any way.Thank you, Mark Sullivan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Leif Kåre Solberg

“Norske slekter” means: “Families in Norwegian genealogy” there the genealogy of the Kjerulf family is described: page 161-163. The marriage the captain’s daughter related the Kjerulf and the Gleditch family. That’s is the reason you will find his descanters also in the Gleditch Family book.Some of captain Carl Kjerulf’s direct descanters happen to be my friends, including one of the authors of the Gleditch Family book. I am sorry to say that despite of Carl Kjerulf was well known as one of their ancestors, they had neither heard of him as the hero from the 'Fleetwing', nor of the 'Evening Star' catastrophe.You can say that the captain’s relative, the Norwegian composer Halfdan Kjerulf, (1815-68), was the famous member of the Kjerulf family.Nevertheless 'Fleetwing' and captain Kjerulf’s part in the 'Evening Star' drama can had been well known in Norway at that time, but I think it is unlikely that Captain Kjerulf was celebrated. At time being it is impossible for me to take a check in the Norwegian newspapers of those days.I would recommend you to contact “the Norwegian Maritime Museum”. Perhaps they can help you. http://www.norsk-sjofartsmuseum.no/index.html

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Mark Sullivan

Hello Mr. Solberg, Though I didn't get what I was after, Capt. Kjerulf's logbook or a diary, it has been an interesting search and I'd like to thank you for all the time you spent gathering the information you provided, it has been of great help. I would gather from your latest posting that the relatives do not have anything of Capt. Kjerulf's effects in their possesion, not even a photo? At this point, I will follow your recommendations regarding the newspapers. Also, I would like to correspond w/ you offline if that is possible regarding the newspaper issue. Do you have a personal e-mail address that I can reach you at??Best regards, Mark

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Leif Kåre Solberg

I have asked some of the descanters of Carl Kjerulf about his portrait or diary might be available somewhere, but so far I have not had any positive response.About the log book, journals etc. it might be worth a try on the local maritime museum in Larvik. They have a web-site, but it is only in Norwegian. I recommend you asking the responsible curator: Arnfinn Malme thru the municipality administration: post@larvik.kommune.no.You can reach me at leif.k.solberg@c2i.net.Best regards, Leif

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.