Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#46383] Per A. Nermo rømte på ski fra Trysil til Sverige ca.1860-70, em. til USA ca.1893

Gjest Per Nermo
 Del

Gjest A.E. Ferner

(Tillegg til 118 og 119): Grundsjö ligger ca 10 km nord-øst for Hedsjö, og Brättingsberg ca. 25 km nord-vest for Bjuråker.Mvh Anne Elise

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

(122:) Arnie, I loved your rendition of Per A.'s last journey. It brought tears to my eyes. His life (including his last trip to the farm graveyard) was surely eventful.During this debate I've grown specifically fond of my name-brother Per A. Nermo, (even if he's not of 'my folks'), and I often catch myself thinking of him in his younger days, when he was in his early twenties in Trysil, living assumeably in rather poor conditions as a logger, adventurous (perhaps beyond certain limits) and seeking a better future, first in Sweden, and later on 'over there'. Do you think he ended up as a happy man ? Or did the 'new world' disappoint him ?In (110) above, you'll find parts of the history of his only daughter that followed him to Canada, Martha (Märta), who arrived in Canada in 1912. Do you know why she didnt'd travel together with her husband, who was also not present in the 1900 census in Sweden ? Could you try to check out where she had her alleged practice as a Lutheran minister ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

(123/124:) Chris, could you please give your English rendition of (123) and (124) above, for the benefit of the American and Candian readers ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

Jeg skal for ordens skyld gjengi ordrett svarene på 'Anbytarforum' fra Chris Bingefors som jeg henviser til når det gjelder Märta Oliva Nermo f. 1869 :--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Av Chris Bingefors – måndag den 12 febr 2007 kl. 00.42:Märta Olivia Persdotter, äldsta dotter till Per Nermo utvandrade till Saskatchewan (där brodern Lars Martin bodde) från Ramsjö:Post 1012920Olsson Persdotter, Märta Olivia Hustru (gift kvinna)f. 3/10 1869 i Borgsjö, Västernorrlands län (Medelpad)Utvandrad 14/3 1912 från Hedsjö, Ramsjö, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland) till Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, CanadaKälla: Husförhörslängd, s. 67Emibas emigrationsakt: Ramsjö X 1912 001Onormerade namnformer:Destinationsland: CanadaMed henne var dottern Anna Martina f 1/3 1902.de reste från Göteborg 22/3 1912.År 1900 bodde hon i Hedsjö:Post 3252589Persdotter, Märta Oliviaf. 1869 i Borgsjö (Västernorrlands län, Medelpad)h. Gift kvinna, mor i familjenHedsjö Ramsjö (Gävleborgs län, Hälsingland)Födelseort i källan: Borgsjö V.norrl. l.Persdotter, Märta Olivia 1869 Mor, (Barn), Oskar Hilding 1888 Barn, (Barn), Olof Gunnar Halfdan 1890 Barn, (Barn), Ida Kristina 1896 Barn, (Barn), Albert Leonard 1899 Barningen make syns till!1890 finns hon i Stugutjern, Ramsjö med make och barn:Olsson, Anders 1862 Far, Normo, Märta Olivia 1869 Mor, (Barn), Oskar Hilding 1888 Barn, (Barn), Olof Gunnar Halfdan 1890 Barnde gifte sig enl husförhör 3/6 1888. Där står hon som Märta Olivia Arneson Nermo.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Av Chris Bingefors – måndag den 12 febr 2007 kl. 01.17:1880 bodde de i Grundsjön, Borgsjö:Per Arnesen Nermo, f. 1843 i Norge, Arbetare, Kajsa Lisa Byqvist, f. 1849 i Borgsjö, Västernorrlands län, Märta Olivia, f. 1869 i Borgsjö Västernorrlands länPer, f. 1871 i Borgsjö Västernorrlands län, Lars Martin, f. 1873 i Ramsjö Gävleborgs län, Kathrina, f. 1875 i Borgsjö Västernorrlands län, Anna, f. 1880 i Borgsjö Västernorrlands län (död 8/3 1883 enl husförhör)1884 flyttar de till Ramsjö.De bor i Grundsjön hos hustruns föräldrar från 1870, Per Nermo står som ankommen från Trysil 26/5 1870 (i flyttlängden står det 3/12) så han har varit hemma ett tag. Det står också att han är född i Sandbaklien. En anteckning säger att han är icke bevisat äktenskapsledig från 2/3 1866 till 14/4 1870 (han har alltså varit i Sverige enligt dig och sedan åkt utan betyg). Märta Olivia har ingen fader inskriven i kyrkboken när hon föds.Jag har inte hittat Per i inflyttningslängden för Ljusdal 1866. Hudiksvall är en stad i Hälsingland, vid kusten, Brättingsberg ligger i Bjuråkers socken. Till Bjuråker har han inte flyttat 1866. Han verkar inte ha vetat vart han skulle resa så timmerhuggning på olika ställen är väl ett troligt arbete!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

#123In the household census 1871-80 for Borgsjö, Grundsjön village p 482, the children Mästa and Per are listed as legitimate after the parents married. Usually illegitimate children to one of the parents were carefully noted as such. Per had a C for reading and religious knowledge, the lowest character, and went to holy communion once in 9 years, you were supposed to attend at least once a year. Kajsa Lisa had church punishment for breaking the 6th commandment (most often that was hiving to ask for forgiveness for her sins in church), the 6th commandment was also used for women who had children out of wedlock. Her father, Lars Gustaf Byqvist died 12 July 1875.#124 Märta had a son, Axel Berhard, on March 1 1894 he died on March 2. Jonas Alfred stayed with her after his father left for America in 1893. Jonas left for America June 25, 1901.Märta nad Anders Olsson move to Hedsjö no 2 and rents the farm from a big company, Svartvik Inc. In Hedsjö, in the area where Per Nermo lives almonst all are employed by the railway, maybe he was too, and that is where the railway stories come from.Later thoughts:He may have worked in the charcoal business, a very hard job out in the vast forrests. But surrounded by some folk lore. Or building the new railway to Norway. They employed a lot of 'loose' people, I have studied a similar example of a Swede disappearing for 10 years into Norway to build the Bergen railway. That man fathered children on his way, that is how we found him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

(129:) Chris, at Anbytarforum, you wrote (12 febr 2007 kl. 01.17) (about Per A. Nermo and Cajsa Lisa) that in ''1884 flyttar de till Ramsjö''.This seems to contradict what was found by Anne Lene (inserate nr. 3 above) in the Husförhör for 1886-1892 Hedsjø, Ramsjø, Gävleborgs län, page 97: ''Arbetare Per Arneson Nermo, født 23/6-1843 i Norge. Gift 2/11-72. Familien kom fra Borgsjø 18/1-89.''Or has Anne Lene simply misread the year ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

Or have I misread it? In the household census för Ramsjö it says 1889, sorry! BUT in the Borgsjö household census 1880-91 it says 1884 (GID 2035.6.71600) a couple of the children are born in Ramsjö, in´the 1870s and Jonas in 1884. (I looked him up, he is born in Ramsjö, but when parests were still officially living in Borgsjö). Sometimes when parishes are very close, people moved bac¨k and forth but did not register for years

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

He could also have been working for the major company in the area, Svartvik aktiebolag, they owned most of the land and housing. I have tried to find out if there is an archive that has their papers, but only found Svartvik trävarubolag in landsarkivet Östersund. It is not organized so there is not much hope of finding any employee lists. There is a museum village at their main hubhttp://www.svartviks-industriminnen.nu/

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

The migration book för Ramsjö states that Per Arnesen Nermo moved in officially 12 jan 1889 with wife, 3 sons and 1 daughter.They may well have lived in Ramsjö earlier, but without the official certificate, it seems many people did at that time. The books in Ramsjö are filled with references to Borgsjö.The deaths of the the two children, Karin and Arne Valerius are recorded with cause unknown. In the case of the older daughter that is strange this late in the 19th century. The explanation comes from the box of mixed papers filmed in the archives. The new vicar recorded deaths from March 1889 to early 1890 on a scrap of paper to be later entered into the book. There are no causes given on this temporary note and he could probably not remember all when he finally entered them in the official book.Per asked if Per A Nermo found happiness. I believe he did. The major wish in those days was to own land and be free of bosses and landlords. And he succeeded well, acquiring two homesteads even though he emigrated aged 50. Then I understand he moved again to the new areas in Saskachewan. Quite a major undertaking! The story of his last days sounds as if he found peace and made his coffin, satisfied with what he achieved. That is what is so sad, driving over the endless plains in Saskatchewan and seeing all the empty farms, only one or two generations lived in them and probably felt thay had succeeded in life.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

The text basically tells the birth dates and birth places for the parents and that they are christened. Not very good at Christian knowledge (cathechsis by heart), no hinders for Holy Communion which they also have had. Have not been to the yearly examinations in Borgsjö (but somewhere else ie Ramsjö).The children:Per is old enough to have had his first communion (about age 14-16), can read reasonably well, reasonably good Christianity, has been to Holy Communion, has no objections to his reputation, too young to marry, not vaccinated (against smallpox - compulsory). Then the names and birth dats of the other children, Lars in not vaccinated either, I wonder how they got away with that.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnie P Nermo

Good morning Everyone, Here are some tidbits I gathered from Aunt Alice last night:My Aunt Alice was born on May 29th, 1914. I think that makes her 93 this May. She is the last living child of Louis M. Nermo; she still has a sharp mindOld Per A. Nermo died when she was 'about' 14 or 15, that makes it 1928 or 1929. So he lived to about 85. I thought you would like to know he was a bit of a 'maverick' to the end. He had a sharp temper at times (but was kind to the grandkids) and viking fighting viking spirit, He didn't particularly like the Church. Was tough as nails, and walked with big strides and a ram-rod, straight back, right to the end.Louis M. Nermo and Laura Larsen, Aunt Alices parents, married in about 1903-04. they met in Minnesota at a (Luttfish supper) community event. Later, she lamented leaving Minnesota, never to return; as was promised by Louis.Alice said that Per A. had a sister Martha who was always hounding him to attend church. She confirmed that this same Martha became a Luthern Minister in her 50's. She's not sure if it was in Sweden or Norway.Pete Nermo (b.1871) made a return voyage to Sweden to find a wife after his second wife died. He came back empty handed, as nobody would have him. He lamented to Agnes Nelson's mother back in Saskatchewan, and she said take young Agnes (14) A lot of relatives were disgusted.When Louis and Pete (Per?) travelled to the USA, she recalls the story of Grandma Beqvist standing on the boat dock waving a white towel and crying as the boys left (essentially forever)When Per A. left Norway in the middle of winter on skis, he said he nearly froze to death, on the run???Thank you everyone for your kind words. I can assure you that we have received far more information from you than we have provided....and so I feel no shame in sharing the bits and pieces as we gather it. I feel this exercise in investigation is a tribute to not only old Per A.Nermo, but to an era in Scandinavian history when many families left their homeland forever....... I think Per A. Nermo died very content, surrounded by Louis's and Laura's 10 children. I will ask Alice and give you her thoughts.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnie P. Nermo

Hi Folks, In reference to #91, #93, #98, #101, 110 & #136I asked Aunt Alice, pointedly, if Per A. Nermo had fathered other children back in Norway. She said 'there was talk of it'. So as earlier suggested, he may have been on the run from Norway in 1866 from an irrate father wanting to get his daughter married in a shotgun wedding. As indicated in #141 there was an urgency for him to leave in the dead of winter, over the mountains to Sweden. It wasn't a pleasure trip, he almost froze to death doing this.In hindsight, after posting #141, better words to describe Per A. would be 'strong minded and sure of himself'. I forgot to say Alice mentioned, 'he never learned to speak a word of English'. Of course all my aunts and uncles were fluent in Swedish / Norwegian as well as English. As I am recounting the information that you are passing to me, I have a chuckle, as Alice makes a point of correcting me on the proper pronunciation of Swedish and Norwegian place-names. You may not be aware of it , but when Alice and her sibblings went to school in Saskatchewan , they were forbidden to speak anything but English, and were whipped with a teachers's stick if they did. Aunt Alice is interested in passing on what she remembers and so I invite any specific questions you might have, for me to relay to her.Regards, Arnie P. Nermo

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Vanja Persson

Jag råkade tack vare Rötters Anbytarforum, hamna på denna intressanta sida om släkten Nermo. Jag är inte van att läsa norska och min engelska är inte heller vad den borde vara men jag tror att jag uppfattat det mesta. Det finns inte så mycket mer att tillägga men jag kan kanske komplettera med några ytterligare detaljer.Laura and Louis Nermo got married in Minnesota, July 17, 1904 and I think they had 11 children. Ida (passed away in 1983), Wallace, Lloyd, Clifford (passed away at age 1), Ellen, Alice, Phenix (passed away in 1934 at the age of 18), Arnold, Avis, Jean and Warren. Louis passed away September 23, 1961 at the age of 89, and Laura passed away August 22, 1978 at the age of 91.Was Märta Olivia, born 1869, really Per Arnesson Nermo’s daughter? She became almost blind and lived so for many years! The Nermo Eye Disease????Märta and Anders Olsson had seven children. Also an Axel Teodor born in August 1892 and dead in March 1893. Their daughters Ida and Anna got married to Algot and Helmer, both with the second name Jonsson because they were brothers from Grundsjön, Borgsjö. So their children are double cousins! And more ..... Algot’s and Helmer’s niece Signe was a fiancée to Ida’s and Anna’s brother Hilding! Signe didn’t go to Canada but she and Hilding wrote letters and Hilding asked her more than once to come to him in Canada. Twelve years after Hilding’s emigration, Signe found another man in Grundsjön and got married. Three years after that, Hilding also got married with Vera Buck, 22 years younger than him.As a curious fact, Pete Nermo went back to Sweden for a short trip in 1912 and was already booked to return. On his way back, his sister Märta with daughter Anna went with him. When they came to Southhampton he was not able to get passage for his company on the same ship so he had to cancel his ticket. A ticket for the luxurious ship Titanic!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

Vanja: I guess we shall never know the real answer to your question in the 3rd paragraph above, but, as Chris refers in his inserate no. 123, ''I husförhörslängden förs 1871-1880, Borgsjö, Grundsjön s 482 (Genline 2035.3.2600) barnen Märta och Per som äkta barn till paret Per och Kajsa Lisa'' (: 'in the vicars census 1871-1880 page 482 the children Märta end Peter are listed as ligitimate children of Per and Cajsa Lisa'), assumedly on the ground that the couple married in 1872. See also my inserate no. 110.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

I can inform that A List of Descendants in Canada and the U.S. of Mr. Per A. Nermo from Trysil, Hedmark, Norway (born in Trysil 1843, moved to Sweden in 1866, emigrated to US in 1893 and to Canada in appr. 1905, died in Mt. Nebo, Saskatchewan, Canada, appr. 1929) is available on substantiated request to me by email (nermo(a)online.no). Se also (http://home.online.no/~nermo/).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnie P. Nermo

Hello Folks, Welcome aboard: Vanja Persson! Re: (# 143) Where on earth did you get all this great information??? I love the Titanic story, I have not heard it before. I will ask Aunt Alice about it.My father, Arnold, was 15 at the time Phenix (Pheonix?) passed away. They were very close brothers and so my father was particularly devastated. He looked up to Phenix with admiration, and they always went hunting and fishing together, as young boys in Saskatchewan.Pheonix contracted Meningitis in the middle of a prairie winter. The family retells the sad and tragic story of how he had to get out of the old Ford jalopy, sick with fever, to help push it through a snow drift on his way to the hospital where he died.Regards, Arnie P.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

VanjaJag håller med Arnie - var har du fått all denna intressanta information? Är du släkt med dem? Jättespännande!English: I agree with Arnie - where did you get all this interesting information? Are you related to them? Very exciting!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnie P. Nermo

This is getting more than really interesting!I have often wondered if there are any of my relatives left in Norway and Sweden , and to what extent the connection is to us here. After reading the Data Archive: Hello distant cousins!Also, My mother has just told me that there was talk of two (illegitimate?) children left in Norway by Per A. Nermo.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Nermo

Chris, do you yourself as well have genelogical relations to Per A. Nermo and his off-spring, or what might be the reason for your keen interest and extreme helpfulness ? Yoe have certainly contributed grossly the the achievement made in this debate so far.(My own connection to PAN is merely that I happen to share his name ..., althoug I originally (ref. #1 above) thought he had origined from Øyer in Gudbrandsdalen, Norway (from where my father came).I have not forgotten, though, that is was Anne Lene Hagen (#2) who first suggested that my 'Hedjo' was in fact 'Hedsjö'. Then, Bjørn Olav Åsvold revealed (#17) that PAN in fact came from Trysil in 1866. Thanks to all , I've had a marvellous time, and am very proud of our common achievements !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Chris Bingefors

No, I don´t have any known relationship with PAN. I am just interested in complex problem-solving in genealogical research. Parts of my family come from the same area though. And I am interested in the rather uncontrolled migration between Norway and Sweden in those days, having been a migrant myself. And the history of the Union is very interesting, I am reading Tor Bomann-Larsen´s books about the formation of Norway as a sovereign state at the moment.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.