Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#51086] brother's same names

Gjest fran novak
 Del

Gjest fran novak

Please see Kvam 1873 births Nord Fron page 67, #126- Syver Thorsen (Syversen), Aamodt farm. Can anyone tell me when this child died? My own Grandfather (a brother to the dead child) was also named Syver. This is strange? Why would anyone name 2 sons with the same name? There is no error in the record, see Syver Syversen born December 22, 1875, in Kvam, same parents, etc. Also, the USA 1900 census indicates my Great grandmother, Ronnog Iversdatter had 4 pregnancies, but only 3 living children. My Great grandfather Ronnog's husband was Thor Syversen, Aamodt farm. If anyone can help with this, thanks so much. Fran

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenneth Holter

The first one probably died before the second one was born (or baptised), hence they gave this child the same name as the one that died (in memory of him? a second chance? who knows why?). Not strange at all, this was actually common practice. Two living children with the same name is less common, but it is known to have happened. They would normally be several years apart, though.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Harald Søren Storaker

In rural areas of Vest-Agder I find that it was normal to name the eldest son after the father's father, and the second after the father's mother. The third might be named after the father's father's father. Ole was a common name, so then you often got two brother's both named Ole. In formal use they would be mentioned as Ole d.e. and Ole d.y., but in daily speach they would be called Stor-Ola and Lisl-Ola. I know one third in a row be called Bitte-Ola (tiny-Ola), he is ca 1,90 m high!Some examples: [url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=70&filnamn=f61034&gardpostnr=324&personpostnr=1722&merk=1722#ovre>Lenke - Lenke The second Ole here should be (19) I think Lenke LenkeThree Oles Lenke Here the g-grandfather also was an Ole

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Harald Søren Storaker

Correction: the second son was named after the mother's father.To name after a grandfather or grandmother was to honour the person, that is why it was important. You can imagine the old people would know who of their grandchildren was named after themselves, and would give special attention with gifts to confirmation, weddings etc.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Fran,Syver Thorsen # 1 b.17 Aug.1873 died 30 Dec.1874 buried 16 Jan.1875 Syver Thorsen # 2 b.22 Dec.1875 was baptised 20 Feb.1876 and named after him no doubt.Both Syvers are named after Thors father Syver Svendsen.A very common practice in Norway. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Thor Syversen was probably named after his mother Ronnoug Thorsdtr's father Thor Paulsen. He is living with Thor and his sisters in 1865. Kari Syversdtr.is Mari chr.28 Nov.1847 Sør-Fron Beret Syversdtr.chr.14 July 1844 Sør-Fron and Thor Syversen chr.8 May 1846 Sør-FronLenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ron Berg-Iverson

Fran,after looking at the family history Beret b.1844 could be named after Syver Svendsens mother Berethe ( Beret )Thorsdtr. Kari b.1847 could be named after Ronnougs mother Kari Hansdtr. I also found a marriage for Syver and Ronnoug in Kvikne,Sør-Fron 29 Oct.1843.If you dont have the information for Syver ( b.1799 Kvikne )I found him and his family in 1801. Ron

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Tofterå Slettemoen

As it has been mentioned above, common naming practice was to give the children names after their grandparents, in their honor.1) Father's father 2) Father's mother 3) Mother's father 4) Mother's motherIf both grandfathers had the same first name, it would quite often result in two siblings with the same first name.If the children were named in the opposite order of above, i.e. mother's parents first, that would often point to the couple living on or taking over her parents farm, so they honored them before his parents.In this case, since Syver (1) was named after Thors father Syver Svendsen, and this child died, they would rename the grandfather by giving the next son his name.Children were never, or rather rarely, named after a dead sibling, that would be 'jinxing' the newborn life.They simply renamed the grandparent.Fun fact: When a couple were done naming the 'required' grandparents, quite often they would go wild with the names; naming a good friend, a rich farmer, someone recently deceased, or they would make up a name they liked, or pick a foreign one.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.