Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#72202] Alfred Komedal

Gjest Annie Dorn
 Del

Gjest erling t. endresen

Bingo:I just got the message I needed from the 'Statsarkiv' in Stavanger: Jorine Kommedal had 6 living children when she died in 1909, among them 1 son in Alaska.So Alfred Komedal must for sure be the Olai/ Ole/ Olav born 04.07.1866 in Hetland, neighbour community to Stavanger in Rogaland, Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

So let me get this straight. Jorine Kommedal had 6 living children when she died in 1909, among them 1 son in Alaska - we know this is my Alfred (Olai/Ole/Olav) We have his parents, but I don't know who their other 5 children are, do I ? Excuse me if I am wrong, I am reading this at work quickly ... I need to go home and digest all the information ! I would just like to know if there are relatives living now, I know that will be more difficult. Also, I would like to visit where Alfred was born ... am I looking at Hedrum/Kvelde ? Is this a town, or village ? Would it be possible to be more specific ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

Sorry I have that wrong, it's Rogaland county, specifically Høgsfjord/Forsand. Remind me again, why did we discount the other possibility from the 2nd comment on 08/09/2009 ? That there was someone born at Bonnegolt farm in Vestfold county called Søren Oluf, son of Thor Sørensen and Birte Marie Olsdatter ? Is it because the Olai/Ole/Olaf we found from Rogaland county has a father called Tollef, and we think that is why he called his own son Alfred Toly ? I just want to make sure I can discount the other option before I go any further.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Hei.Søren Olaf Bonnegolt, also living at Bonnegolt in Vestfold, east part of Norway, at confirmation time, could be a possibility. Bonnegolt is a 'main' farm, as I can see, and Kommedal, part of Bonnegolt, is a small part of Bonnegolt. It is not truely, as I see it, that this Søren Olaf Bonnegolt would start to call himself Kommedal. (But I may be wrong, of course).What I have found out for you, is that the Olai Tolleivson Kommedal born 04.07.1866 in Hetland, neighbour community to Stavanger, in Rogaland, West part of Norway, is the same person who was a miner in Alaska in 1900, and later lived in Seabold, Washington, he who dies in 1946. Birth of date is correct.His father came from the farm Kommedal in Høle/ Gjesdal, Rogaland. His mother Jorine Torgiusdatter 1830-1909 came from Handeland in Sirdal, Vest-Agder. They had 7 children, 6 girls and one boy called Olai. In the farm book he is called Ola, but as I found out for you, his christian name was Olai. In Alaska he is called Alfred. I don't know why? His sisters were: Olena-Tobia, Gurina, Berthe-Marie, Martha, Teoline, and Olena Tobia.When Alfred born 04. July 1866 died in 1946, it says (according to familysearch) that he is son of a Tally O. Komedal and 'Evaroa', which I think must be a wrong spelling.The miner Alfred O Komedal, who calls himself a 'Wd' = widower, says also in 1900 that his mail address in Norway is Stavanger. I think that he must be the person you are searching for. He is mentioned as the son of Jorine (Torgjusdatter) Kommedal when she died in Stavanger in1909, that he lived in Alaska. Tolleiv Olsen Kommedal and Jorine had no son given the 'Alfred'-name at birth, their son was given the name Olai.So one thing is sure: The Alfred Komedal in Alaska/Washington who died 1946 is the same person as the boy called Olai when he was babtized in July 1866, Hetland church near Stavanger.If I were you, I would forget the Vestfold person. I could of cause try to find this person married in Norway. He could be your man, but I don't think so.So, what do you think?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen
Lenke Kommedal&phone=95725135&listingid=S108676083&type=map&countrycode=NO&query=kommedal gjesdal&qt=5This is where the Kommedal farm is located in Gjesdal, Norway
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

A picture from the Gjesdal farm book: Kommedal.Kommedal is a small farm located in the very end of a narrow fjord, surrended by high mountains. It is said that the word 'kome' is an old word that means something like 'dark', so Kommedal means something like 'the dark valley'.

bilete7598.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Olai Kommedals father, Tolleiv Olsen Kommedal, had a half brother (same mother Guro Torgersdatter Kommedal, different fathers) who took over the farm in Kommedal when his stepfather died. His name was Torger Bjørnson 1812-1885. The farm to the left in the picture was the home of this family, so that should be the place where Alfred (Olai) Komedal's father Tolleiv O. Kommedal was born and raised.Next photo is Torger Bjørnson Kommedal with his wife and some of his children, they run the farm on the picture above. . This Torger is a 'half-uncle' of Olai/ Alfred Kommedal.

bilete7600.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Olai / Alfred's sister Gurina Tolleivsdatter Kommedal moved 1890 to Orre/ Klepp in Rogaland, married butcher Johan Alfred Johannessen born about 1860, they had a daughter Anne Sofie born 1890 at Bryne/ Time in Rogaland. In 1900 Johan ASlfred Johannessen is a widower.Here is the birth of their daughter: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen
LenkeThis is Marthe Tollefsdatter Kommedal, a widow in 1900. Her husband was Karl Johan Jensen, who died between 1890 and 1900.I could not find her as a child in the family in 1865, so I thought she was dead. But... here she is, after all.So you see, all 5 sisters of Olai (Alfred) Kommedal married and had children.
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

I have now founf out that Olai/ Alfred's sister Gurine had more children, Johannes born 1892... I am searching for more information about this family.I have also found family members living today in Egersund, if you are interested. Though I haven't talked to them yet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Annie Dorn

Hi this is great. I would be very interested in contacting any living family members, however, I must be aware that it is possibly a bit sensitive, as it looks as though my great great grandfather Alfred Komedal left his wife and 5 year old daughter to go to Alaska. now, it doesn't bother me, as this sort of thing happens all the time, but I would appreciate it if you can think of this if you talk to any family members ? Thanks. By the way, I have attached a photo of Alfred's daughter, Janet.

bilete7607.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

We should not share names of living people at this internet side.Therefore: Send me an email to etendre@online.no and I will give you more information.I will talk to your relative in Egersund and ask if she might be interested in contact.Erling T.PS:I also will make you a better 'oversight' of the family... and send you via epost

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

Hei... I have tried to send you a couple of emails, but I am not sure if you got them? I got the one you sent me. It is strange that I recieved yours email, but I get your back as 'fault'.Can you send me a new email, with your ordinare mail address, and I will send you some info that way.Or have you got another email address that I should use?Erling T. Endresen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest erling t. endresen

And: Yes: your relative Torunn want to meet you, if you come to Norway with your mum, as you told me in the epost. I am not sure if you have received the epost I sent you?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.