Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#77287] Ancestry.com. Draft Registration Card. Fallen soldat 1918; Johannes Øveraas.

Gjest Jan O.K. Johnsen
 Del

Gjest Jan O.K. Johnsen

Kan noen med tilgang til ancestry.com hjelpe meg mon tro? Jeg søker opplysninger fra ”utkommanderingskortet” (World War 1 Draft Registration Card, 1917-1918) for norskamerikansk soldat; Johannes Overaas (Johannes Øveraas f. 1893 i Øksendal), som falt 10.10.1918 nær Sommerance i Frankrike. Han tjenestegjorde i 'Company D, 18th Infantry, 1st Division'. Andre opplysninger fra amerikanske kilder er også av interesse.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eva Tomter

Se vedlagte kort. Name in full: Johannes Overaas 28 years Home adr: FO5 Maple H? (er fra Greys Harbor) Date of birth: October 27(?) 1893 Are You 1 a natural born citizen, 2 a naturalized citizen, 2 an alian, 4 or have you declared your intention(specify which) Declarant.Where are you born? Øksendal Norway. If not citizen, of what country are you a citizen or subject? Norway. What is your present occupation? Laborer. By whom employed Sjølseth & Moe. Where emplyed? (?) Wash.Have you a father, mother, wife, child under 12 or a sister or brother under 12 solely dependant on you for support (spesify which)? Father and Mother. Married or single? Single Race X caucasian What military service have you had? None. Rank? None, branch - .I confirm that I have verified above answers and that they are true. Underskrevet av Johannes Overaas.Tall, medium or short? Medium.Slender, medium og stout? Medium.Color of eyes? Grey.Color of hair? Brown.Bald? No.Have person lost arm, leg, hand, foot or both eyes or is he otherwise disabled? No.Underskrevet av registrator.

bilete9045.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eva Tomter

Det kan godt være alder 23 år. Det stemmer vel bedre med fødselsår. Jeg tror at byen han bor og arbeider i skal være Hoquiam i Washington.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan O.K. Johnsen

Hjertelig takk for kjapp respons Eva. Legger ved litt info om Johannes (trolig avskrift fra aviser i Hoquiam, Washington):“Johannes Overaas reported killed in action. Mrs. Daniel Sjolseth received a telegram yesterday, January 22, 1919, that her brother, Johannes Overaas, was killed in action October 10, 1918. He went into the service from here and was sent to Camp Lewis and later to Camp Mills and after a short period of training was sent overseas. He was a native of Norway, but came to this country about five years ago, and leaves surviving him in Norway, his parents and several brothers and sisters. At the time of leaving Hoquiam he made his home with his sister in this city.Johannes Overaas cited, killed in action. Johannes Overaas of this city, who as a private with the American forces in oversea service paid the supreme sacrifice, was cited for bravery according to the following communication received recently by his sister mrs. Dan. Sjolseth.”Så gjengis et svarbrev til Olga fra en offiser i avdelingen til Johannes:”Company D” 18th Infantry, Kadenbach, Germany, July 28. 1919. Mrs. Olga Sjolseth, 805 Maple Hoquiam Washington. Dear Madam: Jour letter of July 7th regarding the death of your brother received. We are unable to find any member of this company who is familiar with the death of your brother, other than he met his death while rushing a machine gun nest. It is thought he was killed by a machine gun bullet. Pvt. Overaas was an excellent soldier, while a member of the company, and was well liked by all members of the company. Enclosed herewith is a citation awarded him, for his work in the Argonne. Respectfully, Wesley G. Brocker, captain 18th Inf. Commanding co.- The division commander in a general order said:”Pvt. Overaas displayed the utmost bravery in rushing a machine gun nest, and was mortally wounded while this engaged.”Fortsettelse: “Overaas was born in Øksendal, Norway, in October 1893. He had been in this country about five years, most of the time employed in the logging camps. While in Hoquiam he made his home with his sister. He went into the service in the fall of 1917, and after a short stay at camp Lewis, and another stay at camp Mills, he was sent across and was killed October 10. 1918. His body is burried in the Military Cementary at Fleville, France. He was a member of the local lodge of the”Sons of Norway”. His parents and several brothers and sisters survive him in Norway. His father has been an officer in the Norwegian Army until recently, when he retired, having reached the age limit. The oldest brother died in Hoquiam in 1903.”

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Solås

Dette har du vel kanskje: Name: Johannes Overaas State Registered: WashingtonDeath Date: 10 Oct 1918 Cemetery: Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery Cemetery Burial Plot: Plot E Row 6 Grave 25 Cemetery City: Romagne Cemetery Country: FranceWAR: World War I Title: Private, U.S. Army Rank: Private Service: U.S. Army Division: 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division Data Source: World War I Honor Roll

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.