Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Finding Maren Jensdatter Bull in written sources.

Robaaa
 Del

Hi,

I'm trying to confirm that Maren Jendatter Bull (born c.1580) daughter of Jens Andersson Bull ,pastor of Storen, in 1607, was married to Mr. Erik Lauritssøn Blix, had 8 children with him and was still alive in 1644. Given the lack of census material and written sources in the early 17th century how might I go about confirming that ??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It is written about Maren J. Bull in

Andreas Erlandsen: Biographiske efterretninger om geistligheden i Trondhjems stift.

Th. Norum: Slekten Blix.

But nothing about her death.

Maren Jensdt. Bull and Erich Lauritssøn Blix had 9 children, 3 sons and 6 daugthers: Jens fogd i Bergen stift, Lars fogd i Numedalen, Anders died young, Kirsten married to (mt) Erik Pedersen Juel, Lucie born ab. 1608 mt Anders Roaldsen Opdal, Barbara mt Anders Ellefsen, Beret mt Mons nn, Mette mt Johan Gjertsen, Clara died young .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thankyou both for this I'm really trying to find who was Daniel Rasmussen's (fogd in Jemtland c.1620 ) wife as it appears she can't be Maren Jensdatter Bull as some have claimed . She may therefore possibly be Maren Jensdatter Skunke or some other person. Many Thanks

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

btw,

If I wanted to find definite information on where Maren Jensdatter skunke was in her lifetime spacer.gif Født: 1582 I:

map_pin.png Sverige spacer.gif Død: 1644 I:

map_pin.png Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag, Norway

where would I do that ?? Can anything certain be said about her life ?? Why does Roger de Robelin assert she is Daniel Rasmussen's wife - Maren Jensdatter is a common name ??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

btw,

If I wanted to find definite information on where Maren Jensdatter skunke was in her lifetime spacer.gif Født: 1582 I:

map_pin.png Sverige spacer.gif Død: 1644 I:

map_pin.png Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag, Norway

where would I do that ?? Can anything certain be said about her life ?? Why does Roger de Robelin assert she is Daniel Rasmussen's wife - Maren Jensdatter is a common name ??

Robaaa, this is a question I have asked myself many times. A good theory is that this came from the late Mrs Bjørg Sylvia Olden in Fredrikstad, who worked a lot with this family, and whom de Robelin credited in his book. I myself descend from Christopher Danielssøn, parish priest in Sunndal, who probably (no proof, though) was a son of Daniel and Maren. I have never myself seen Maren Jensdatter with a family name, so you should not call her "Skunke", Jemtland was Norwegian in Maren's lifetime and Skunke is, according to Robelin himself, a name that was used much later in Sweden, however based on a Low German nameform. The correct Norwegian name is Skanke, but she never used it to my knowledge. Roger de Robelin's book is in some ways good, but he often does a poor job stating his sources. I am also a descendant of Maren's supposed sister Elisabeth Jensdatter, but de Robelin does not say what sources he used to find this out. Either it was Mrs Bjørg Olden or (if one should be a bit cruel) it was to get more descendants to buy the book... :(

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

Thankyou for your response - one is again reminded how thin the evidence can be and how careful you need to be not to jump to conclusions. It is true that Daniel probably did know Maren Skanke's father as he was a previous bailiff of Jemtland but that maybe a red herring. It is curious that she never used any other than her name Maren Jensdatter - without some kind of further evidence it maybe impossible to answer this question. She remains a riddle.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have Maren Jensdtr Schancke ( Skanke ) 1582 - 1643 in my family tree.She was the daughter of Jens Pedersen Schancke 1540 - 1582 and Gullov Mogensdtr 1555 - 1629. ( After Jens P died,Gullov married Laurits Mogenssøn Blix ca 1583 Oviken,Jamtland.)Maren married ca.1610 to Daniel Rasmussen 1575 - 1637 Trondheim. As you have pointed out, much of the early ancestry is difficult to prove.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

How can one be sure she was Maren Jensdatter Schanke - to date I haven't seen a single piece of evidence to prove this - any idea where the evidence is regarding this ?? Something must point to her ??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have Maren Jensdtr Schancke ( Skanke ) 1582 - 1643 in my family tree.She was the daughter of Jens Pedersen Schancke 1540 - 1582 and Gullov Mogensdtr 1555 - 1629. ( After Jens P died,Gullov married Laurits Mogenssøn Blix ca 1583 Oviken,Jamtland.)Maren married ca.1610 to Daniel Rasmussen 1575 - 1637 Trondheim. As you have pointed out, much of the early ancestry is difficult to prove.

Hi, I just want to point out that if your source for this is Roger de Robelin's book "Skanke ätten" (Røros 1995), then we are none the wiser about his source for the information. I bought this book myself as it was published, but I am disappointed as to the lack of sources regarding Maren Jensdatter (married to Daniel Rasmussøn) and Elisabeth Jensdatter (married to Mogens Pederssøn [Herdal], parish priest in Sveg in Herjedalen, now a part of Sweden) and their presumed descent from sheriff of Hackås Jens Persson and Gullov Mogensdatter. By the way I am also a descendant of Gullov Mogensdatter in her marriage to Lauritz Mogenssøn [blix].

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It is difficult to believe anything not properly referenced clearly RdR should have come clean about exactly where he was getting his information ( which documents) and what it was. Is there any material basis for asuming that Elisabeth Jensdatter was sister to Maren ??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have never seen any documentation. Roger de Robelin lists these as the children of Jens Persson in his marriage to Gullov Mogensdatter: 1. SIGRID JENSDOTTER, born abt 1575, married to Knud Pederssøn Sæby, born abt 1569 in Denmark, died 1643, parish priest in Revsund, Jemtland (pages 38 and 124). 2. PER JENSSON, died at the latest in 1647, sheriff of Hackås, farmer of Hov, married to Brita Mårtensdotter. 3. KARIN JENSDOTTER, born abt 1577, who in 1628 was a widow in "Biugnen". This is obviously Bjugn in Sør-Trøndelag, however de Robelin managed to interpret the name as Bugården in Oviken, Jemtland. 4. GULLOV or GULU JENSDOTTER, born abt 1579, alive in 1628, married to Olof Eriksson from Fäste in Hackås, tailor and citizen of Trondheim (pages 38 and 351). 5. ELISABETH JENSDATTER, born abt 1581, died on April 27, 1659, married to Mogens Pederssøn [Herdal], parish priest in Sveg, Herjedalen (pages 38 and 477). 6. MAREN JENSDATTER, born abt 1582, died 1644, married to Daniel Rasmussøn (pages 38 and 468). 7. (?) NILS JENSSON in Östnår and Bleke, mentioned in 1623. 8. N.N. - It seems de Robelin has found a document in RA (probably the Swedish Riksarkivet), dated Hackås January 21, 1632, where Hustru Karin Jensdotter and Hustru Gullov Jensdotter sold their inheritance in the Hov farm to their "brother" (!) sheriff Jens Persson (page 38). Robelin does not mention any of the other siblings selling their inheritance in the same document. On page 385 de Robelin mentions about esquire Nils Hallsteinsson (mentioned 1345-48) that he probably built a small booth which dendrochronology has dated to abt 1353, and on the door there is an iron decoration that strongly resembles the Skanke Family crest. The booth, de Robelin Writes, seems to have been inherited down the generations or given to Elisabeth Jensdatter [skanke], married to parish priest Mogens Pederssøn [Herdal] in Sveg, who took it with him to the priest's residence in Sveg. Their daughter Mette Mogensdatter Herdal in her turn then inherited it and brought it to the farm Äggen in Sveg, where it still is. (Page 385) This is the only attempt to prove Elisabeth's descent I have seen in the book, but hardly any evidence.

By the way, the person that Karin and Gullov sells their inheritance to, is actually their brother Per Jensson, sheriff of Hackås (see page 39).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

I have the same book - what is the ppr I Kungsgarden 1623 23/9 kontrakt eg ?? I assume RdR has seen documents in Sweden (surely not in Norway ??) on which he based his work - but I'm still not convinced that Maren Jensdatter Schanke is married to Daniel Rasmusen ?? I wonder how he ever made that connection ??

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider