Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Gunder Ulriksen og Maren Bolette Jonsdtr. frå Batalden i Kinn pr.gj. til USA

Torbjørn Henrik Hillersøy
 Del

Have been researching my ancestors, particularly Maren Lundberg, and was surprised to find so much information assembled about my family, including my mother, my grandparents, my aunts and uncles, and even my brothers.  Apparently while I am looking for ancestors, someone else is looking for Maren's descendents. Maren was my great grandmother, second wife of Olaus Lundberg. When she and Olaus died, their children were young and were dispersed to live with neighbor families.  They didn't get much history of their family. Olaus was much older than Maren and had daughters from his first marriage and grandchildren who were older than his and Maren's children. One of Olaus's daughters helped regain the Lundberg homestead for the orphans.  My grandfather Gustave and his brother Arthur then farmed the land for years. My mother and her siblings were all born on the Lundberg homestead in Hale, near Pigeon Falls Wisconsin. My mother, Adeline Lundberg Goplin, is now 97 years old.  She will be interested to know what I am learning about Maren. My question---are the ones who have posted on this thread related to me?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Hi Carolyn! 

Sorry for a late answer! I did not expect anyone to post anything on this thread any more.

I hope your mother will enjoy the information from this research! 

None of the persons on this thread are related to the family. 

I  grew up at the same place as Gunder and Maren both grew up, and I am gathering information about every person who have lived at this place for a shorter or longer period of time, or their whole life.

The place is called Batalden, it is actually many islands, belonging to the same property long ago. You find it on Google Maps on the west coast in southern Norway. It is a small place but it was once famous for its herring fishery and this opportunity to earn some money from this fishery drew many people from other places to the islands. Like Gunder´s parents, Ulrik and Abigel. Ulrik came from a inland farm called Hjelmeland (not far from the village Bygstad, in the same region of the country as Batalden) and Abigel grew up at the farm Eide (at the seaside in the same area).

Gunder was born at that farm and took the name of the farm, Eide, as his second-name. He then moved to Batalden at the age of 10, with his parents and siblings.

Gunder had a few siblings and some of the descendants do still live in Batalden. None of the descendants of Maren´s siblings live there now, but in other places in the same area in Norway.

Many people emmigrated to USA from Batalden from 1867 to 1929 (and one in the 1970´s).

Best wishes,

Torbjørn Hillersøy

Endret av Torbjørn Henrik Hillersøy
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider