Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help with a record - 1701 census Røros

Michael Baird
 Del

I have trouble trying to read this record from the 1701 Census.

Link

It is for the Kuraas Farm which is about 1/3 the way down the page on the left hand side.  I've attached a jpg of the area in question.  The first entry for Kuraas is OK  Olle Joensen with sons Joen and Iver.  It is the second entry that is a problem (the one attached).  The sons part is OK (Hans, Peder, Joen, and Anders) but the farmer who is the father on the second entry I can't interpret.

Thanks,

Michael

post-5291-0-72708200-1420574415_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The two first columns: Kuraas | Enchen Sl: Olle Hansens - Kurås, owned by the widow of Ole Hansen. 

The sons of the widow/the male servants and their age: 

Hans Kuraasen | 37

Peder Kuraasen | 22

Joen Kuraasen | 18

Anders Kuraas: | 14

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The two first columns: Kuraas | Enchen Sl: Olle Hansens - Kurås, owned by the widow of Ole Hansen. 

To be strict, there is no information about ownership here. The entry simply states that the holder of the farm is the widow of Olle Hansen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The transcribed census record for the Kuraas farm does not translate the line about the widow Olle Hansen holder of the farm.

link

Thanks again everyone for the help.  It is much appreciated.  I can for the most part read Norwegian but these old records are very tough to decipher.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The transcribed census record for the Kuraas farm does not translate the line about the widow Olle Hansen holder of the farm.

link

Well, right... The presentation of the transcriptions for these old records leave out some information.  Moreover, the section for Røros is slightly different from the remaining of this protocol. If we look at the records e.g. from Melhus http://http://arkivverket.no/URN:db_read/ft/38460/56/ or Holtålen http://arkivverket.no/URN:db_read/ft/38460/78/ , we see in the third column the heading "Opsiddernes eller Lejlendings Nafne", which literally means "holders' or renter's names" (yes - plural of the first and singular of the last; but this is not important).  Since at this time "lejlending" was also used as a general term including any holder, also those that owned their farm, a precise translation of the heading is "names of holders".

This heading is what I have seen in other parts of Norway, as well. I think it followed a template issued by the central authorities. In the section of Røros, the column heading is "Mændernes Nafne" ("The names of the men"). I suppose the reason is that many (most?) of the household heads  were not farmers; thus not "Opsidder/Lejlending/holder" but just a "man". Nevertheless, in the first part of the Røros section, the listed men are farm holders. Thus, it is not written (and hence, not transcribed) that they are holders, but the context still contains this information.

In your case, the "man" is a widow (or his widow). The information that she is "Enchen Sl: Olle Hansens" is put in the "Remarks" field of the registration. Probably since the "names of the men" is changed to "Name" (somewhat interpretatively split into "given name" and "Last name") and its content restricted to names.

BTW: Strangely, the transcription includes a calculated birth year for the widow (1646) ("*" means calculated), even though her age is not given.

Endret av Ivar S. Ertesvåg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider