Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Where is Arnedal

Frank McGuire
 Del

Sorry if this is in the incorrect topic area, as I cannt read Norwegian.

I am trying to find out where is Arnedal in Vestfold.  I understand it can be spelt Arnedal or Arendal. Information I can find is that its church records are included with Stokke, and that it was a parish  served by the minister of Stokke parish. I also found information that  it was in Jarlsberg before the formation of Vestfold. ?   As Jarlsberg is very close to Sem, I wondered if this is correct?

Regards

Frank

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Arnadal

https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnadal

Arnadal kirke

https://vf.disnorge.no/arnadal-kirke

----

Arnadal kirke

Arnadal kirke located in Arnadal parish in Tønsberg Domprosti. The building material is wood and was built in 1882. The church is of long plan and 285 number of seats. 
Architect: J.Henrik Nissen. 

http://www.kirkesok.no/eng/kirker/Arnadal-kirke

----

Arnadal church

The picture with the title Arnadal church was taken by the photographer widdeni on 28 October 2012 and published over Panoramio. Arnadal church is next to Arnadal and is located in Stokke, Vestfold county, Norway. You can see the original site of the image here.

http://no.geoview.info/arnadal_church,81224813p

Endret av Ann-Mary Engum
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

38 minutter siden, Frank McGuire skrev:

I also found information that  it was in Jarlsberg before the formation of Vestfold. ?   As Jarlsberg is very close to Sem, I wondered if this is correct?

Jarlsberg and Larvik amt changed name to Vestfold fylke in 1919, as the old administrative unit amt was replaced by the new unit fylke the same year.

Jarlsberg and Larvik amt was established in 1821, as the former counties Jarlsberg and Larvik - which were the only two counties in Norway - ceased to exist, as nobility privileges were lifted.

The Jarlsberg county was named after the count's residence Jarlsberg in Sem parish.

Thus, Arnadal parish through the ages has belonged to Tønsberg fief (Norwegian: len) until 1661, Tønsberg amt 1661-1673, several name changes 1673-1685, Jarlsberg county 1685-1821, Jarlsberg and Larvik amt 1821-1918, Vestfold fylke 1919-present.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

49 minutter siden, Frank McGuire skrev:

From the map with one of the church photos, I found that Arnadal is just north of Valberg.  

Arnadal is the name of the church, which is situated at the Fossnes farm. Valberg may have been an independent farm in the Middle ages, but became subject to Fossnes in the 16th century or probably earlier.

Arnadal is also the name of the local parish which is served by Arnadal church.

Arnadal is originally the name of a much larger area, a skipreide, consisting Stokke parish, most of Andebu parish and a part of Sem parish. Arnadal skipreide was an administrative unit which probably was established in the 10th century and was responsible for providing a ship with crew when the king demanded it. Later Arnadal skipreide became a fiscal and legal administrative unit, until it was abandoned as an administrative unit with the creation of Jarlsberg county.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thats very good information.

I am trying to find my great-grandfather who came from Norway in the 1850s and changed his name when he jumped ship in Australia. He said that he came from Arendal. i know its more likeley that would be Arendal in Aust-Agder, but cant find anyone there who fits, so i was looking at the possibility of it being Arandal/Arendal. The fact that it was a much larger area than just the present parish, could support this. 

Thanks again

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

11 timer siden, Frank McGuire skrev:

I am trying to find my great-grandfather who came from Norway in the 1850s and changed his name when he jumped ship in Australia. He said that he came from Arendal. i know its more likeley that would be Arendal in Aust-Agder, but cant find anyone there who fits, so i was looking at the possibility of it being Arandal/Arendal. The fact that it was a much larger area than just the present parish, could support this. 

In the 19th century, Arnadal would refer to the small parish and nothing more.

If he said he came from Arendal, he most likely sailed from Arendal, but he may have been born and raised somewhere else.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider