Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Dolen farm (with slash thru o)

Betty Patterson
 Del

Andreas Olssen is father of Olaug Andreasdatter, born 1739 in Fla.   He married Barbo Olsdatter from Veltehaugen-Gapkjen in 1735.   He is listed as an immigrant with possible farm name Dolen.    Any thoughts were this farm might have been?   

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Betty:

To help us out a bit, can you tell us from where you got the information that you do have? Do you have a link to the document that says he is from Dølen?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Betty,

For future reference if you need to type æøå you can use the Alt key + 4 numbers - easy peasy!!

ALT Codes for "Extra" Letters
Uppercase Lowercase
Alt Code Symbol Description Alt Code Symbol Description
Alt 0229 å Aa Alt 0197 Å aa
Alt 0140 Œ Oethel Alt 0156 œ oethel
Alt 0254 þ Thorn Alt 0222 Þ thorn
Alt 0216 Ø Slashed O Alt 0248 ø Slashed o
Alt 0198 Æ AE ligature Alt 0230 æ ae ligature
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for the info about vowels.    I believe the information came from the Flaa Bygdebok although I don't have that reference in front of me currently.   The wife of Andreas, Barbo Olsdatter, is listed as a husmansdatter in 1733, from that source. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dølen is not a farm name, but a nickname which means "residents from a valley". Flå is the first community in Hallingdal. In Flå they used to call residents from the upper communities in Hallingdal  Updøl or just Døl.  Andreas Olsen Dølen probably originates from Upper Hallingdal or may be a  neighboring valley as Numedal (if he had been from Valdres he would most likely have been called  Valdres). Andreas may have been a soldier. Because many soldiers had the same first name and patronym, the officers could give soldiers nicknames to separate them.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider