Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Part of an Old Letter in Norwegian

Clark Monson
 Del

I am attaching the end of a letter that my great grandfather's brother wrote from America to Norway.  My great grandfather was on a trip back to Norway the winter of 1890-91.  The writing is difficult to read.  At the end he writes, "Can you bring me a leather jacket and also leather underwear which is indispensible as well as buy me a "barber razor" in England.  Hegge (a store merchant in town and a friend) asked me to remind you of the "pipe tube"- den Pipe roren."  Can somebody tell me what a Pipe roren is?

Thanks you so much!

Clark Monson

Grand Forks, N. Dak.

USA

last page of january 28, 1891 letter from ole monson to knud monson (when knud was on a trip to norway).jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Pipe is for smooking tobacco, but can also be the chimney of a house for a fireplace.

the expression Røre means "a mess". "Pipe røren" could mean that somebody put up a chimney and there was a quarrel about payment, etc.

An iron tube for carrying smoke from the stove into the chimney would be spelt "Pipe røret" with a t instead of an n .

Your ancestor seems to spell an write correct norwegian.

I don't know if this makes any sense.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I believe it must be that part of a tobacco pipe called the shank, see this wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_pipe

Google searches on "Piberør" give a number of hits, for example: 

"Pibe-rør, et. rør (især: paa lang pibe), hvorigennem tobaksrøgen fra pibehovedet suges op i munden." (https://ordnet.dk/ods/ordbog?query=piberør)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I am inclined to think it was a "stove pipe."  Hegge was a storekeeper and I believe my great grandfather had perhaps ordered a stove pipe.  Hegge was probably telling Ole to remind my great grandfather.  He came back from Norway the following month.

Thank you both so much!

Clark Monson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider