Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Looking for information on Jøran Hølgjesdatter Haslerud (Laugi)

Larry Melander
 Del

Looking for information on Jøran Hølgjesdatter Haslerud (Laugi- from Rollag parish.  There is a GENI profile family tree entry for her that says she was born in 1655 and died in 1725- no locations given.  She is the wife of Knud(t) Nilsen Laugi.  There is a note in the same entry that says- 

About Jøran Hølgjesdatter Haslerud

listed as generation 1 on Haslerud farm on p 19 in

Haslerud, slekt gard og folk 1979 by Berit Mogan call number 948.25 R2 D2m

Rollag Bygdebuk V p 164 laugje top left, mother of

I have a copy of Rollag Bygdebok Bind V and can confirm the last part of the entry which lists her children (it's on p. 165 and not 164 in my copy).  

Two requests-

1.  First, I am having a problem with the first part of the entry about Jøran Hølgjesdatter which says she is listed as generation 1 on Haselrud farm.  I have checked my copy of Rollag Bygdebok for Haselrud farm and there is no mention there.  But I do not have a copy or access to one of the reference listed- "p 19 in Haslerud, slekt gard og folk 1979 by Berit Mogan call number 948.25 R2 D2m".  I live in the USA and do not have digital access to the digital copies of Bygdeboks and related texts in Norway.  I was wondering if someone could check the reference listed and see if it mentions Jøran Hølgjesdatter or her family.  If so could you make a copy of the page(s).  I would greatly appreciate it.

2.  Second, the GENI profile website says she died in 1725. Another family tree on Ancestry.com says she died in 1725 on the Haselrud farm in Rollag parish.   I have checked the parish death records for 1724-1727 for Rollag parish and I can't find her.  And her birthdate and death date doesn't appear in my copy of Rollag Bygdebok for Laugje or Hasellrud farms.  Was wondering if someone could check the death records for Rollag in the timeframe and see if I just overlooked her.  

https://www.geni.com/people/Jøran-Haslerud/6000000000752736657 (link to GENI profile entry for Jøran)

Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Still looking for help with my first request.

Looking for information on Jøran Hølgjesdatter Haslerud (Laugi- from Rollag parish.  There is a GENI profile family tree entry for her that says she was born in 1655 and died in 1725- no locations given.  She is the wife of Knud(t) Nilsen Laugi.  There is a note in the same entry that says- 

About Jøran Hølgjesdatter Haslerud

listed as generation 1 on Haslerud farm on p 19 in

Haslerud, slekt gard og folk 1979 by Berit Mogan call number 948.25 R2 D2m

Rollag Bygdebuk V p 164 laugje top left, mother of

I have a copy of Rollag Bygdebok Bind V and can confirm the last part of the entry which lists her children (it's on p. 165 and not 164 in my copy).  

I am having a problem with the first part of the entry about Jøran Hølgjesdatter which says she is listed as generation 1 on Haselrud farm.  I have checked my copy of Rollag Bygdebok for Haselrud farm and there is no mention there.  But I do not have a copy or access to one of the reference listed- "p 19 in Haslerud, slekt gard og folk 1979 by Berit Mogan call number 948.25 R2 D2m".  I live in the USA and do not have digital access to the digital copies of Bygdeboks and related texts in Norway.  I was wondering if someone could check the reference listed and see if it mentions Jøran Hølgjesdatter or her family.  If so could you make a copy of the page(s).  I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.geni.com/people/Jøran-Haslerud/6000000000752736657 (link to GENI profile entry for Jøran)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Larry, I find no reason why Jøran in this GENI profile is mentioned with the surname Haslerud. At this time, farm names were used as an address and not as a surname as we use them today. As far as I known, there is nothing connecting her to the Haslerud Farm, with one exception: One of her sons bought Haslerud in 1734.

I've been unable to find an online edition of Berit Mogan's book. Thus, without been able to read what she actually has written, a possible explanation of what she might have meant is that Jøran is this family's first known female name.

We don't know when or where Jøran was born. 1655 is probably just an estimate made by her profile's owner. 

When I read her probate record, linked to by Odd, I see that she was still alive in 1725 and that she gave up her estate: «Anno 1725 on the 12th of July came to me at the Fikken (Fekjan) Farm in the parish of Rollag the godfearing lady Jøran Hølgesdaater Laugen, Knud Nielssen’s widow, telling me that since she was en elderly woman she no longer was able to take care of her farm, she wanted to give up her farm and transfer it to her eldest son.»

Thus, you have to look for her burial record after the summer of 1725.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag- thanks so much.  I am interested in where or how you found the probate record you quote for Jøran and what it says.  Can you give me the source or link? 

I'm trying to match up what you said with what I found in the probate index cards and also in the information in the Rollag Bygdebok.  Hølge her eldest son was born in 1691 so in 1725 should have been of age to take over the farm.

I checked probate index cards for Rollag parish for the Laugje farm and find there are 2 for Knud.  One after he died in 1719 date 3 Oct. and another dated 7 July 1925 and for this one it seems to indicate that there is a sum of 185 riksdaler to be split up- no mention of the Laugje farm interests.  

SAKO, Numedal og Sandsvær sorenskriveri, H, 1694-1802, s. 1198
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20100224641200

SAKO, Numedal og Sandsvær sorenskriveri, H, 1694-1802, s. 1199
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20100224641201

Rollag Bygdebok Bind V for Laugje farm p.164 notes that when Knud died in 1719- his estate was split up with Jøran receiving 4-1/2 skinn in Laugje farm and the children getting the rest.  On p.165 it says " I 1725 deler ungane 185 riksdaler som er arven etter faren."  This comment appears to match up with the 1725 probate index card information.  It next says- "Borna er nemnt i uskifte etter faren, der dei skulle deile bruttoformue på 103 rdl ved sida av dei 9 skinna." which appears to match up with the data on the first probate index card.

Later on the same page, there is a note that their son Hølge "... hadde overteke i 1728."   I assume this means he takes over the Laugje farm in 1728.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The probate record in 1725 which I quoted from in #5:

SAKO, Numedal og Sandsvær sorenskriveri, H/Hb/Hba/L0002: Skifteprotokoll, 1717-1730, s. 551b-552a
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20090121370554 

This is the same record linked to by Odd in #2 and the same record the second of your index cards refer to.

Unfortunately, Rollag Bygdebok is a little bit inaccurate about the record, excluding Jøran's role in it.

2 timer siden, Larry Melander skrev:

Hølge her eldest son was born in 1691 so in 1725 should have been of age to take over the farm.

Again, we have no source saying exactly which year Hølje was born. And it is the same for his siblings. All of them were born before the oldest church records start. Thus, this and other anual figures prior to that are estimates only. For Hølje's part the estimate is based on the data in his father's probate record in 1719. However, my experience is that most such figures are inaccurate and that probate records are full of errors and mistakes. Thus, never regard this type of information as exact figures.

2 timer siden, Larry Melander skrev:

Later on the same page, there is a note that their son Hølge "... hadde overteke i 1728."   I assume this means he takes over the Laugje farm in 1728.

Your translation is correct when you translate word by word. However, this information is taken from the probate record after his first wife in 1728. Thus, a more accuate translations is that he had taken over the farm before 1728. And, as we already know, his takeover had happened in 1725. Prior to that I would assume that he had farmed it together with his mother, at least from when en married first time.

Index card:

SAKO, Numedal og Sandsvær sorenskriveri, H, 1694-1802, s. 1200
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20100224641202 

Probate record:

SAKO, Numedal og Sandsvær sorenskriveri, H/Hb/Hba/L0002: Skifteprotokoll, 1717-1730, s. 715b-716a
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20090121370720 

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag- this is great.  You have been extremely helpful.  Can I ask how you got to that page?  Did you use the search engine for probate records and enter her name or what?  Just interested.  Not sure I would be able have any shot of trying to decipher the handwriting.

Second, I have reviewed the death records for Rollag from 1724 thru 1732 and I just could not find her.  I found several Joran's but most were very young and none had the proper last name or appeared to be tied to the Laugje farm.  Is it possible you could see if I missed it???  If it's an imposition I will understand.  

Again- thanks for all your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Larry, I used the probate index cards. These cards have information about where the original probate records could be found.

It is a well known problem that the burial records are incomplete and that even persons we from other sources know when died, are missing. 

One idea: The reference to her as Haslerud; is it possible that she actually died there, and then after her son had bought that farm in 1734? If she was born abt. 1655 - or perhaps somewhat later - she might have lived even into the 1740s.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider