Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Military Records

Murray Rystead
 Del

Good Morning,

I'm looking for more information for both my great grandfather Olav K Rysstad (born in 1877) and his younger brother Olav K Rysstad (born in 1879).

I've attached some documents that were sent to me by the The National Archives Services.
But i can't read what it says concerning the two Olavs.

On another document is showed that the older Olav became a soldier in
1899 and the other just after 1900.
Both were privates in the infantry.

My question is, are there military records that show data or info of their overall military career.
For example if they received any honor or awards (medals).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

olavrysstad2nd.JPG

soldieraccount olavrysstad.JPG

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There is a good chance that there are no records available to the general public on this, or maybe it's not easy to find 😐
If anybody is able to translate what it says regarding the two Olavs on these two screenshots that would be awesome.
Thank you

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi, Murray.

I’m not familiar with norwegian military records or where to look for them, I’m afraid.

But I can try to translate your screenshots – very approximate.

Column headings l. to r.:

|[1] Matr. no. [translation=?]

|[2] From which «Thinglag» or Town conscripted, Name and number[s] of the ‹district› and his number in the ‹lottery› – [yes, there was a kind of lottery involved, to decide who would be conscripted and who not.]

|[3] The Soldiers name

|[4] Born when, Parish, Farm.

|[5] Parents names and fathers occupation

|[6] Occupation or ‹Trade of buisiness›

|[7] Distinctions and when received

|[8] Participated in - year/number of days

|[9] Attached to which Company [military, not commercial]

|[10] Has served – in ‹The Line› [Linjen, the standing army] –The ‹Land Defense› [Landvernet, only mobilised if the country came under attack, but unlike the ‹Line› excluslively under norwegian command. It ‹slept› throughout the 1800’s though (source, norwegian Wiki only, the authors has not bothered to elaborate on history in the english version of the article: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsvaret) ] – Landstormen [‹The Land Storm› – literally. Re.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landstorm]

|[11] Comments.

SO – your Olav nr. 1:

[1] 1736/2036

[2] Valle | 11 | 10 | 5556 |

[3] Olaf Knudsen

[4]  20/7 77 Rysstad

[5] Brugsmand [Farmer? or working in a Mill?, Sawmill?] Knud Terjesen Hille [Helle?] Aasild Bjugsdtr. [Bjugs daughter]

[6] Labourer

[7] None

[8] [Now I am kinda out on a limb: RS and BS [dunno what it means, but apparently he served in these ‹units›(?)]

RS in 1900 for 45 days

BS in 1900 for 24 days

BS in 1901 for 24 days

BS in 1902 for 24 days

BS in 1907 for 24 days

[9] 8/16

[10] Hmmm – maybe repetiton sign, first entry on page = 31/12 11.

Next: Olav nr. 2:

[1] 2386/2686

[2] Valle | 11 | 22 | 9167

[3] Olav Knudsen Rysstad

[4] 30/5 79 Rysstad

[5] Inderst [Lodger] Knut Torjissen, Aasild Bjugsdtr.

[8] RS 1902 for 48 days, BS 1902 for 24 days, BS 1903 for 24 days, and finally BS 1909 for 24 days

[9] 8. 16

[11] Halvtropchef Danesmand[?] No idea, but a Halvtropchef is presumably a commanding officer of a kind, commanding a platoon or something. Sorry. Why his name and grade are in the comments? – again, no idea.

Hope this helps

Regards.

PS:

I really hope you are aware of your ‹unike› heritage, (At least in my view). Setesdalen and Valle in particular has a very distinct culture [historically] which even among norwegians is considered kind of original and unaffected. To be fair, not anymore, but traditions still stands strong in Setesdalen.

Finally: Pardon my ‹limping› english.

Endret av Even Stormoen
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...