Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1811] What year did the names of the Fylkes change?

Gjest Arne Mikal Mikkelsen
 Del

Gjest Arne Mikal Mikkelsen

Jan:I see in some of the old records Søndre Bergenhus & Jarlsber og Larvik, which are currently Hordaland & Vestfold. When was the name change made?Thank you.Arne Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

If my memory serves me right the namnes changed in 1918 as a result of a governmental proposition by the liberals (Venstre), acknowledged by our congress (- Storting) and subsequently issued as a Royal decret or a law.The counties was hence named 'fylke' and not 'amt', and - as already observed by yourself; the vast majority of them was then "rebaptized" in a more Norwegian fashion/style. The old prevailing style was largely inherited from the centuries when we were danish subjects rather than norwegian individuals/citizens.The former label 'Søndre Bergenhus' was thus restyled 'Hordaland' in 1918. Another valid example: the county formerly known as 'Nordre Bergenhus' changed to 'Sogn og Fjordane'. These are names which clearly is much more in accordance with the old norse/medieval style.I presume the Norwegian government in 1918 therefore found these names more appropriate for a young or rather new sovereign nation trying to create an identity of her own; largely based on verified historic roots and traditions. (We did not gain our independence until June 7. 1905, the dissolution of the union with Sweden).Regards, Terje Hatvik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
Gjest Terje Hatvik

To Arne Mikal or anyone whom this may interest:Regarding the official changes from 'amt' to 'fylke' and subsequent norwegification of names (with reference to previously mentioned matter): The law concerning these changes was proclaimed on August 14. 1918, and the changes was in force/effective from January 1. 1919.In addition to this I take the liberty to mention that many norwegian cities, towns, villages, parishes etc. "norwegianized" their names in the first third of the past century (the 20.th).I understand and recognize that your already is aware of this, so I just want to provide you (-and maybe others) with the actual year of change for SOME of the norwegian cities/towns, since such knowledge might be useful in your enduring search and "hunting" on this and other WEB-sites (clarifying some issues, perhaps avoiding mistakes). Thus, some valid examples:Christiania to Kristiania 1877-1897 (transition implemented gradually), Kristiania to Oslo in 1924. (Back to the ancient & original name). Victoriahavn to Narvik in 1902. Stenkjær to Steinkjer in 1925. Fredrikshald to Halden in 1927. Porsgrund to Porgrunn 1929. Fredriksvern to Stavern in 1930. And Trondhjem to Nidaros in 1930, which - after a storm of protests - finally changed to Trondheim in 1931; according to my encyclopaedia.Happy hunting for ancestry, Terje

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.