Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5016] Origin of name -- Fjogstad

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen

My grandmother's last name was Fjogstad. I can find her family in the 1900 census, but nothing even close to this name exists in 1865. Can anyone help me as to how this name could have evolved, or perhaps where it came from? It does not appear that this family followed the traditional naming conventions, since all sons and daughters bear the same last name.I appreciate any assistance

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inge Eikeland

Fjogstad is the name of two farms in Rogaland county. One is located in Klepp and the other in Sandnes. The meaning of the name is not sure.You will find Fjogstad both in the 1865 census and th 1900 census.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Andreas Thesen Fjørtoft

In the 1865 census there are 4 farms named Fjogstad , Rogaland , 1 in Klep and 3 in Høiland. Try one of these. They probably took the farm name as familyname between 1865 and 1900.:-)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

I'm not sure that I understand your question entirely, Patricia, but I will add some comments. In 1865 quite a little part of the Norwegian population had a surname like we have today. People living in rural areas often used the name of the farm where they lived as their last name. If they moved from one farm to another, they changed this last name. An alternative was to use their patronymicon as a last name. In such cases the individuals in a household might have different last names.In the last half of the 19th century quite a lot of people in Norway moved from the rural districts to the towns and cities. Here were no farm names to use for identification, and some used the name of the farm they had lived at before as a surname. Because of some changes in the name laws, all people in a family living together used the same surname around 1900. Some people preferred to use the patronymicon as their family name, and in the 1900 census you'll find a lot of such families with the patronymcion of the father as a common surname for all family members. This was not often found in the 1865 census.I think perhaps this explains your observations. Your grandmothers family, - or at least her father, had earlier lived at farm called Fjogstad. In 1900 I suppose he lived in an urban area and had chosen Fjogstad as a surname. Does this fit?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.