Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5827] first cousins

Gjest Jan Holmes
 Del

Gjest Jan Holmes

In Norway, was there any prohibition against first cousins marrying in the second half of the 18th century? If not, was it rare? or not so rare?Thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Kristian Eide

You had to apply for exceptions from the prohibition.And I think you had to pay for the exeption as well.One of my 3g-grandparents were 1 cousins and married 1784.I don`t know the frequency of such marriages at that time .I suppose others know a lot more of this than I do.Geir K Eide

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Kristian Eide

Corrections to my former notice:You usually need to be two persons getting married ,even my 3 g-grandparents in 1784 .-One of my - will then be -two of my-.... Geir K Eide

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Holmes

Thanks for your response, Geis K. Eide. I was just curious because in researching my genealogy I found first cousins marrying.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Tofterå Slettemoen

It happened as late as 1900s in royal families... and I believe that in smaller communities it was more frequent than in the city.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenneth Holter

Two of my greatgrandparents werw first cousins and married ca.1928, I guess they had to apply for special permisson to marry. I have a feeling it was not a rare thing.kh

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.