Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#6021] Vindal farm, Vestfold

Gjest Emilie Olsen
 Del

Gjest Emilie Olsen

My grandmother, Othilie Nilsen Vindal, was born in Sandeherred in 1881 and grew up on the farm, Vindal. I have a picture of the farm and her parents, Anilius Nilsen Vindal and Olava Olsdatter, taken in 1922. In the 1865 and 1875 census, the Vindal farm was in the municipality of Sandar and the parish of Sandeherred. The 1801 census shows only Sandeherred as the location. In the 1900 census, there is no farm name, but a street, Østre Strandgade in Sandefjord. Are these places the same? Is Sandefjord a new name for Sandar?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ketil Harbek

Hi, EmilieSandeherred and Sandar are the same - Sandar is the newer name (20th century) of the municipality (and the parish) of Sandeherred. Sandefjord was the growing urban area around the main harbour in Sandeherred, and was established as a town (and a separate municipality) in the 19th (late 18th?) century. During the 20th century urban Sandefjord grew across its borders, and in around 1980 the two municipalities were reunited - this time as the town of Sandefjord - with about 40.000 inhabitants.The answer to your first question is "no". Your grandmother's family must have moved from the farm to the town. (Her father and brother were sailors, according to the 1900 census.) You can still find the Vindal farms in that census (under Sandeherred) - at one of them lives a.o. a person with the (rare) name Anelius - possibly a relative of your great grandfather. (That may explain the 1922 photo.) Kart, then point at the county of Vestfold, then at Sandefjord, and point again at (any of) the word "Kart" (= "map"). Vindal is to the south east of the town center.)The source of this information mainly is my own knowledge and memory - it is possible to get more exact information (about years and so on).Greetings, Ketil

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Hans Mathisen

Hello Emilie!Your grandmother Ottilie Nilsen Vindal is my father's third cousin, and so you yourself must be a fifth cousin of my 5 children! I have some more informations on Ottilie's family and would be glad to pass it all over to you if you are interested. Please give your e-mail adress.The connection between us - in short - starts with Nils Hansen Rønningen (abt. 1720-1794) and his wife Torine Karlsdatter Skinmo (abt.1734-1809). Their sons Hans (1775-1848) and Carl (b. 1768) are my father's and Ottilie's great grandfathers respectively.About Sandar (former called Sandeherred): The town Sandefjord got it's status as such in 1845 - I remember very well the celebration of it's 100th anniversary shortly after the end of the war. And Sandar and Sandefjord merged in 1967 if I remember correctly.Yours fiendly Hans Mathisen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Emilie Olsen

Hi Ketil, Thank you for the information about Sandefjord. I've been looking at my pictures of the Vindal farm and my great grandparents. I think I assumed the family still lived there because these pictures were dated the same. One picture shows my great grandfather with his brother. Perhaps he was the one living there at the time the pictures were taken. I have several letters, cards and pictures sent to my grandmother from her family in Sandefjord. Most of these are from the 1940's and 1950's, but I am sure there are many relatives still living there since my grandmother was the only one, besides a niece, who emigrated to America. I'm looking forward to visiting Norway soon and hope to visit Sandefjord. Thanks again. Emilie

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Emilie Olsen

Hi Hans, It would be interesting to find out if indeed my grandmother is related to your family. Othilie, who was the only one of her family to emigrate to America had two brothers, Nils 1875-1955, Anders 1878-195?, and a sister Olene (Lena) 1878-1958. My grandmother married Kristoffer Kristoffersen, son of Christopher Larsen of Tjømø. They came to America in 1915 and the name was changed to Tangen. I have more detailed information and would be glad to share. My e-mail is Emilie47@aol.com

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.