Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Birth and Death of sisters Martine Louise Sundby(e) and Laura Emilie Sundby(e)

Tybring Hemphill
 Del

As far as I can see, it does say "Maler Albert Emil Sundby, America".

The occupation title "maler" probably means painting houses.  

I've done some more searching today, with no luck - at least so far.  But I haven't given up yet :)

What about this one?

post-3741-0-30625700-1455467509_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, I think you are probably correct Sven.  Well done and thank you all for your help everyone.  I know that a number of the Sundby siblings (all of whom had two given names) used their second name in preference to their first.  You have see that Emma Cathinka and Herman Valentin used their second names, so perhaps Albert Emil did as well!  It seems too much of a coincidence that Emil in New York was born in Norway in 1842 and was a painter, both of which are facts that also describe Albert Emil.  It does seem strange that he was destitute, when he had received an inheritance in 1897, but perhaps the exchange rate was very poor at that time.  Where did you find this record Sven?  I will see if I can find him in any other census.  I had already tried looking for Emil Sundby, but did not have this very helpful record.  I still wonder if there is any connection to the Sundbys in Canada, but will have to see if Emil of New York ever had any children.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, I think you are probably correct Sven.  Well done and thank you all for your help everyone.  I know that a number of the Sundby siblings (all of whom had two given names) used their second name in preference to their first.  You have see that Emma Cathinka and Herman Valentin used their second names, so perhaps Albert Emil did as well!  It seems too much of a coincidence that Emil in New York was born in Norway in 1842 and was a painter, both of which are facts that also describe Albert Emil.  It does seem strange that he was destitute, when he had received an inheritance in 1897, but perhaps the exchange rate was very poor at that time.  Where did you find this record Sven?  I will see if I can find him in any other census.  I had already tried looking for Emil Sundby, but did not have this very helpful record.  I still wonder if there is any connection to the Sundbys in Canada, but will have to see if Emil of New York ever had any children.

I found this record here: http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1083   New York, Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Also, I forgot to mention, that the date of Immigration to the US fits with what we know of Albert Emil as Emil had been in the US for 38 years in 1903 according to the record Sven found, so since 1865, which fits with the fact that Albert Emil was in Norway for the photo about 1864 but gone by the time of the census in 1865.  I have looked for Emil in the 1900 census in the US under the names Albert, Emil and Sundby and Olsen with varieties of those spellings living in New York (the almshouse record says that he had been in new York since 1885), but I cannot find any such record.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, Sundby is quite a popular name.  In a very long debate in this forum several years ago I was able to trace back from only knowing that Ole Larsen Sundby, the father of Martine and Laura, was born about 1815 in Nannestad to learning of his family several generations back in that region.

It seems that 1865 was just at the very start of significant immigration from Norway to the US, and so perhaps the records are not so good as for later dates, but now I have a narrow range of years to look for as I think it must be 1864 or 1865 that Albert Emil travelled.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider