Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Translation assistance

Mark Goddard
 Del

Here is another one that will challenge you. Sometimes far back in time ie 1700's the person is identified by a farm name, making it a little harder to find on Ancestry. Her is the baptism of Sigri. Spelling becomes a little flexible back the far as Anne-Lise illustrated for Lars Engebretsen. Here Lars is called Lars Bagstad and Ragnhild is spelled Ragnille. But if you learn to use Ancestry well enough it gives you the baptism date which the tree does not. And it makes it a lot easier to find the baptism. 

Sigrie Larsen

in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927

Name:Sigrie Larsen
[Sigrie Bagstad] 

Baptism Date:23 nov 1766

Baptism Place:Oyer ,Opland,Norway

Father:Lars Bagstad

Mother:Ragnille 

FHL Film Number:125545

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603600612

Here the fifth column over is for the baptism records. døbt.  Look for 

Screen-Shot-2020-03-27-at-7-34-43-PM.png

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

For the marriage of the parents of  Jens Christiansen tree has given you the exact date so you should be able to go directly to the parish records and find it. 

Here on page 152-153 the far left columns are labelled 

Trolovet (sp?) engaged and Cop (copulerede) marriage

Christian Jensen and Marie Tostensdatter were engaged on Feb 21 and married on April 8, 1761. 

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/9271/79

The fact that the tree from Family Search seems to check out on the few times I have checked them by going to the original l sources gives me some confidence that in this case the person who put the tree together has done a fairly good job and is accurate. 

Endret av Anton Hagelee
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Looking for the baptism records for Christian Jensen in Ancestry. I did not find any good candidates for him in Øyer, Oppland in 1733 plus/minus 2. I see that the tree also has no parents for him. 

For his wife Ancestry does turn up a good candidate. 

Mari Torstensen

Name:Mari Torstensen
[Mari Andersen] 

Baptism Date:19 aug 1734

Father:Tosten Andersen

Mother:Mari Frandsdr

Third from the bottom right hand page. 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603600511

A tough one to read.

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Both of you gave me so much information that I've not only extended my family, I feel so much more confident about it's accuracy (and likewise found errors in other people's trees who had copied from other trees without checking sources).  Huge thanks!!

The census records you provided did more than verify family members.. it truly is a look into their lives.  I spend some time translating all the Norwegian notes, for example, "enjoying alms of the church", a person who worked the "forge, "farm owner", "servant" and many more.  From that I get a better sense of the communal like life with several generations of the family, the people that lived there and worked the land, and how it seems that many of them had particular jobs to do that benefited the whole.  I gather the farm was near the Tretten Kirke, what is now on the maps as the town of Tretten... 

If your really dig, sometimes their actual lives seem to come to life again....

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And I've been so busy trying to run my business during this COVID lockdown (they ask us to stay open because we are a child care center) that I hadn't noticed that there was a page 4 to all these notes with even more great research by the two of you.

In your debt with gratitude....

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Anton

You had this note about Christen's father not being found easily:

"Looking for the baptism records for Christian Jensen in Ancestry. I did not find any good candidates for him in Øyer, Oppland in 1733 plus/minus 2. I see that the tree also has no parents for him. "

Then I saw this on someone else's Ancestry page but couldn't find that they had any source material:

Jens Christensen Woldstuen

1709–1774

BIRTH 28 MAR 1709 • Woldstuen, Oyer, Gudbrandsdalen, Oppland, Norway

DEATH 06 NOV 1774 • Oyer, Gudbrandsdalen, Oppland, Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

58 minutes ago, Mark Goddard said:

Can you help me read these?

This I believe is Tosten Andersen (Vedum) baptism record:              (not sure what the Vedum is)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/9270/25

And this could be his parents:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/9270/25

On the left hand column for Sept 16 there is a record for a baptism. It reads Anders Vedum b (ie barn) Tosten.  Vedum is the farm connected with Tosten. You are a long way back in time now and in many cases the person is referred to by his first name and a farm name. 

And yes on that same page over in the far right column at Nov 1 is the marriage of Anders Tostensen Vedum and Sigri Erichsdatter. 

This Family Search page on Øyer has a list of farm names associated with Øyer. These lists are useful but not always complete.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Øyer_Parish,_Oppland,_Norway_Genealogy

Here is a Family Tree that might prove useful to you.

https://www.blix-dahle.no/tng/getperson.php?personID=I36256&tree=tree1

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

16 hours ago, Mark Goddard said:

Anton

You had this note about Christen's father not being found easily:

"Looking for the baptism records for Christian Jensen in Ancestry. I did not find any good candidates for him in Øyer, Oppland in 1733 plus/minus 2. I see that the tree also has no parents for him. "

Then I saw this on someone else's Ancestry page but couldn't find that they had any source material:

Jens Christensen Woldstuen

1709–1774

BIRTH 28 MAR 1709 • Woldstuen, Oyer, Gudbrandsdalen, Oppland, Norway

DEATH 06 NOV 1774 • Oyer, Gudbrandsdalen, Oppland, Norway

I must not have dug hard enough. Here is likely the source for the Ancestry tree. 

Jens Christensen

Name:Jens Christensen

Baptism Date:28 mar 1709

Father:Christen Johansen

Look down the far left column for 28 Mar. Just above the April. There is the record for Christian Johansen, one or two words I can't make out, uægte means he was born out of wedlock, barn ie child and Jens. 

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/9270/47

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Anton

Thanks you for all that!  I enjoyed working through the blix-dahle.no family tree link you sent... it spins off on a maternal line but is fascinating and filled some holes I had.  

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And THAT Christen Johansen is my 7th great grandfather on my mother's side (she was Beryl Simonson, 1930-2016)

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Once again I'd like to thank both of your, Anne-Lise and Anton, for all  your help... I've been able to build out different family lines back to the 8th and 9th generations, and more importantly get a much clearer view of the lives of those people in those long ago days.  I could not have done that without your help!!  There will always be more details to fill in but for now I'm going to take a little break, maybe focus on some other lines.  As sad as this pandemic is, it has afforded me some extra time to work on family history, and am proud of the history I've assembled for other to enjoy.  Both of you take care, stay healthy, and if ever I have a family question I will turn to you both once again.

Regards,

Mark

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for your nice respons. You are certainly welcome back some other time. 🙂

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider